OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, etc. : Version VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I love Navy, and have enjoyed some of the special uniforms they have trotted out in the past, but this years special uniforms for the Army/Navy game have gone a bit to far.

Not only will each position have its own unique helmet (QB=CV, WR=Subs, LBs=CA, etc...), but each helmet is hand painted. Absurd.

Design Details:
• Uniform font replicates the design and font used on Navy ships.
• Battleship gray color featured on the cleats, baselayer sleeves and jersey shoulders.
• Eagle, Globe and Anchor Marine Corps logo highlighted on the uniform pant.
• Baselayer features the overhead sketch of the seven Naval ships featured on the helmets.
• "Damn the Torpedoes!" scripted on the uniform pant and jersey hem as a reminder of the historic battle cry that rallies the U.S. Naval Fleet.
Helmet Details and Position Assignment:
• Linebacker: Cruiser- Provides anti-air defense and packs the biggest punch of Naval surface ships representative of the linebackers on the Navy football team.
• Defensive Back: Destroyer- Known for significant fire power, speed, and anti-missile defense as are Navy's defensive backs.
• Wide Receiver: Submarine- Predominantly utilized as blockers, wide receivers play a key role in driving the Navy rush attack, taking on a stealth-like persona as they blend into the rhythm of the offense but bring significant fire power when called upon, just like a Naval submarine.
• Lineman: Amphibious Assault Ships- Just as a lineman's job is the create a hole for a running back or linebacker, these ships are utilized to establish the "beach head" that enables the invading force to gain access and ultimately accomplish their objective.
• Quarterback: Aircraft Carrier- The QB of the Naval Fleet, the aircraft carrier is the ultimate decision maker; the "quick strike" weapon of the Naval fleet.
• Running Back: Littoral Combat Ship- Like running backs, these fast and nimble ships can navigate through both crowded shallow and deep waters.
• Kicker/Special Teams: Minesweeper- Much like the specific task of the Navy special teams, this small ship has a unique mission of identifying and eliminating mines.

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/113015aaa.html

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Cruisers haven't been CA since the 1950s. CG is the current designation for guided missile Cruisers. The picture on the side of the LB helmets (per the article) is indeed of a Ticonderoga class CG.

Also, LOL @ RBs being LCS. That's a pretty big insult. :biglaugh:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think they're terrific. A bit over the top but awesome nonetheless. UA has done incredible things for Navy and high-school aged recruits are going to eat these things up. Plus, I love anything that connects the Academy to the Fleet at large.

Hive, how do you know so much about the USN? Were you in? And yes, huuuuge insult to the A-backs. A's make plays and the LCS are a collective dump.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Just a Navy fan and I read a lot about the Navy during WW2 thats why I used CA for Cruiser. My bad.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Seeing the talent pool in the DMV and Richt landing studs like staford, AJ green, and Gurley, and under armors budget for the terps. I would be all in on him.

Yeah it would kind of be like a nerd dating a model but there is a connection there. The former AD at Georgia that hired him is the current assistant AD at Maryland. Dont know if that's enough but its something. Gives me some hope at least.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Frank Reich has also interviewed for the Terp job:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-oc-frank-reich-interviews-for-maryland-job/

He is the more likely type of candidate I'd expect UMD to attract. UA money or not.

And the Miami Hurricanes are hot for the former back up QB to Vinny Testeverde, Mark Richt.

Also, another potential candidate for the Terps is former Rutgers HC Greg Schiano. Read about him mentioned for the South Carolina and Miami openings. Considering how he turned perennial doormat Rutgers into a credible program he could work wonders in College Park.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
good hire you think? (if true)

It's true and its a good hire. He's a top notch recruiter, young, energetic, a good leader and he's coached under Harbaugh and Meyer. Its about as good as any reasonable expectation. I didn't think they were getting Mullen or Richt.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Yup. Go get Tom Thibodeau before he gets snatched up.

Can get them to focus on D while knowing how to let a dynamic PG be great. He won't be picked though.

Also amazing to me a guy with 255 wins and 139 losses is currently out of the job not due to his own choice.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

this is gonna blow up in their faces for espn. taking down a guy from navy just because he is leading in a poll? wow

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So they took him down because none of their "experts" had him on their radar/tracking page?

If that's how's it's been handled all season, I guess I have no issue other than with their "experts"...

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Really hoping the O's can get Davis re-signed. Didn't think they'd get Weiters or O'Day back...and they did (granted one was by signing a QO....but still).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
O's pull offer to Davis

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/orioles-withdraw-offer-free-agent-slugger-davis-173410760--mlb.html

Baltimore moving on. Probably tired of Boras using them to jack up the price. Have to focus on other areas. Want the roster in place by Xmas.

Then, an hour later, Boras claims it isn't over and the above is "news to him", and the article does mention that Bmore thinks Boras had them bidding against themselves.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...orioles-still-in-on-davis-20151212-story.html

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
O's pull offer to Davis

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/orioles-withdraw-offer-free-agent-slugger-davis-173410760--mlb.html

Baltimore moving on. Probably tired of Boras using them to jack up the price. Have to focus on other areas. Want the roster in place by Xmas.

Then, an hour later, Boras claims it isn't over and the above is "news to him", and the article does mention that Bmore thinks Boras had them bidding against themselves.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...orioles-still-in-on-davis-20151212-story.html

Boras is terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad