OT: Nationals, Wizards, DC United, O's, Ravens....DC area sports IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's an ass about a lot of things but he was right. It wasn't happening in Cleveland. Now he's got his rings, and he can go back and try to apply what he's learned there. He's not a dirty player on the court as far as I've seen, and I'm not aware of any off-court problems. Most of the dislike for him is jealousy or distaste for the media attention he gets. I blame the media for the media circus just as much as Lebron.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I think the hate for LeBron is pretty unbelievable. Here is a guy who has been on the cover of SI since he was 13, and had his high school games shown on ESPN at 13 and 14 which is unreal. Is he the most humble dude? No, not at all. But to a large extent he's a pretty good role model. He married his high school sweetheart, he's by all accounts a good father, he gives generously to the community, he's not once been mentioned in a scandal involving adultery or drugs, he's never been in trouble with the law, he works his ass off to be the best of all time, and he wants to win. He wanted rings and felt Cleveland ownership wasn't going to surround him with the talent it took to get it done so he went some where that he felt gave him the best chance. I do hope he goes back to Cleveland and I do hope they win a ring for that city.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lebron is a **** for a lot more than "the decision." Wearing Yankees hats to Indians games when the Indians gave him the tickets. Wearing a Cowboys hat to sit in the Redskins' owner's box. Rejecting a multi-thousand dollar birthday cake that was made for him for free because his crew convinced the baker it would be good publicity. He's just a general *****. I'm still never going to root for that asswipe.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Lebron is a **** for a lot more than "the decision." Wearing Yankees hats to Indians games when the Indians gave him the tickets. Wearing a Cowboys hat to sit in the Redskins' owner's box. Rejecting a multi-thousand dollar birthday cake that was made for him for free because his crew convinced the baker it would be good publicity. He's just a general *****. I'm still never going to root for that asswipe.

Yeah, like I said, he's not the most humble. Some might even say he's a dick. But wearing a hat =/= murder charges, **** charges, DUI manslaughter, 7 kids with 6 women, and the whole other lot of garbage that we see from professional athletes.

Edit: so the site censors the word for sex without consent, but not "dick." Interesting.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Yeah, like I said, he's not the most humble. Some might even say he's a dick. But wearing a hat =/= murder charges, **** charges, DUI manslaughter, 7 kids with 6 women, and the whole other lot of garbage that we see from professional athletes.

Edit: so the site censors the word for sex without consent, but not "dick." Interesting.

Dick being a name could be the reason.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Pat Riley was naive to expect them to re-up to team friendly deals, and he got burnt. But to only have two players on the roster???

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Cavaliers are gonna end up with a Top 5 pick from the Heat this year because of the LeBron trade. That is disgusting.

I hate what LeBron did to the NBA, makes it pretty damn hard to watch when great players want to play together vs. against one another.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cavaliers are gonna end up with a Top 5 pick from the Heat this year because of the LeBron trade. That is disgusting.

I hate what LeBron did to the NBA, makes it pretty damn hard to watch when great players want to play together vs. against one another.

You hate that he exercised his right as a UFA to chose his team as guaranteed to him under the CBA?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I believe it is top 10 protected.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You hate that he exercised his right as a UFA to chose his team as guaranteed to him under the CBA?

No, I hate the idea of great players leaving and working together to play together. It defeats the purpose of sport and competition. Its a poor precedent to set for fans of the game overall vs. the individual players.

I believe it is top 10 protected.

I'd have to look, been seeing people bringing it up more and more lately but nothing on whether it was protected.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
No, I hate the idea of great players leaving and working together to play together. It defeats the purpose of sport and competition. Its a poor precedent to set for fans of the game overall vs. the individual players.

I'd have to look, been seeing people bringing it up more and more lately but nothing on whether it was protected.

It is protected.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

So you hate free agency, then. Because that's what free agency is, and players have been doing this in sports since the mid-70s.

If they just went to teams for money people would blame them for being greedy. As it turns out some also care about winning and part of that involves who else is on the team.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So you hate free agency, then. Because that's what free agency is, and players have been doing this in sports since the mid-70s.

If they just went to teams for money people would blame them for being greedy. As it turns out some also care about winning and part of that involves who else is on the team.

Can you point to a time 3 super stars colluded before and all came together to join a team together? I can't.

I have no issue with players seeking bigger pay days and going where the money calls but the Big 3 didn't do that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Can you point to a time 3 super stars colluded before and all came together to join a team together? I can't.

I have no issue with players seeking bigger pay days and going where the money calls but the Big 3 didn't do that.

This was just advertised more. Like I said, do you really think players have no idea what other stars are on the teams they sign with?

Plus, Wade was already in Miami and at least IMO Bosh was overrated as a FA at the time.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The proceeds from The Decision also built three Boys and Girls Clubs in the area, but nobody likes to mention that.
LeBron could have built three Boys and Girls Clubs in the area out of his pocket with three days' worth of his Nike contract.

He wasn't on TV for the charitable side. That was purely face-saving. He wanted his 30 minutes in the spotlight.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
LeBron could have built three Boys and Girls Clubs in the area out of his pocket with three days' worth of his Nike contract.

He wasn't on TV for the charitable side. That was purely face-saving. He wanted his 30 minutes in the spotlight.

So could any number of athletes. You think a dude whose been on camera since he was 12 and has a permanent camera crew following him around wanted 30 minutes in the spotlight? He was the biggest FA in any sport in history, you think filming it was his idea?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
So could any number of athletes. You think a dude whose been on camera since he was 12 and has a permanent camera crew following him around wanted 30 minutes in the spotlight? He was the biggest FA in any sport in history, you think filming it was his idea?

Yes, I do think he wanted his 30 minutes in the spotlight, else he wouldn't have done it.

Sure, it was probably and agent or marketing person's idea. Doesn't mean he has to do it.

Are you actually arguing against the notion that he's a self-aggrandizing tool?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, I do think he wanted his 30 minutes in the spotlight, else he wouldn't have done it.

Sure, it was probably and agent or marketing person's idea. Doesn't mean he has to do it.

He was 25 at the time. Four years later and he appears to have learned his lesson, otherwise wouldn't he have doubled-down and done it again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decision_(TV_special)

Freelance sportscaster Jim Gray pitched the idea to James' management and ESPN for an hour-long show in which James would announce his decision. Gray once worked for ESPN, and James' management team insisted that Gray be involved in the interview. ESPN gave away the airtime, allowing James' team to sell ads in exchange for the news story.

The announcement, which was not made until nearly 30 minutes into the program, was part of a conversation between James and Gray.[7] Broadcast from the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich, Connecticut, the show raised $2.5 million for the charity.[8] The show raised an additional $3.5 million from advertisement revenue which was donated to other various charities.

It wasn't his idea, it was pitched to his agent and ESPN, ESPN donated the air time and James donated the money to charity.

Spectacle? Yes.
Self-aggrandizing? Somewhat.
Tool? Doesn't look like it to me.

Remember, these athletes are expected to market themselves and their sport/league. It's part of the job. And James was the biggest star, while ESPN had always been heavily into marketing the NBA since dumping the NHL years prior.

James has become more of a team player and complete player the last few years. I think he probably learned from many of his mistakes. I have no idea why people hate him so much, and I'm confident they have no clue how they would behave if they were in his (expensive) shoes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He was 25 at the time. Four years later and he appears to have learned his lesson, otherwise wouldn't he have doubled-down and done it again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Decision_(TV_special)

It wasn't his idea, it was pitched to his agent and ESPN, ESPN donated the air time and James donated the money to charity.

Spectacle? Yes.
Self-aggrandizing? Somewhat.
Tool? Doesn't look like it to me.

Remember, these athletes are expected to market themselves and their sport/league. It's part of the job. And James was the biggest star, while ESPN had always been heavily into marketing the NBA since dumping the NHL years prior.

James has become more of a team player and complete player the last few years. I think he probably learned from many of his mistakes. I have no idea why people hate him so much, and I'm confident they have no clue how they would behave if they were in his (expensive) shoes.

I hated his decision at the time, and I was happy when the Heat lost. I don't like Riley, and I didn't like how the Heat bought that team. Just my personal opinion.

However, now it feels like LeBron is "righting a wrong", and I'm happy for him, and the Cavs. If they make it to the finals, I will root for them to win. I couldn't say that the past 4 seasons.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Yes, I am. Have you read any of my previous posts? He's arrogant, big deal. He could be a lot worse.

Does Peyton have to do terrible Papa John's and Buick commercials? Is he a self-aggrandizing tool? I find RGIII more self-promoting and irritating than LBJ, and I'm a diehard Skins fan and STH.

Goon's post explains what I think about The Decision. I didn't agree with it then, but it's a free country and he's allowed to do as he pleases. He regrets it, or he's a really good liar. Truth be told, I think he regretted it the minute he stepped foot on that set four years ago. He looked completely uncomfortable and I think he realized he made a mistake instantly. He explained himself and is trying to right a wrong. Lucky for him he was given that opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad