World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think this has the potential to turn into a mini-scandal of sorts so I'm going to bring it up here. Plus, this thread needs bumped anyway.

England had the intention of calling Daniel Sturridge up again and ruining his career using him in their upcoming qualifier.

Yesterday, Liverpool claimed that Sturridge has a hip injury and is not available for England duty.

Today, he plays in a post-season friendly in Australia. Looked great actually. Hard to believe he'll be sold.

Tonight, it is claimed he is injured and can't go.

England just needs to leave him alone, honestly. As soon as he plays that many games in a row he will get injured again, but they seem to not care.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
How the hell did THAT Croatia team beat Mexico in middle of LA :D Apparently only second loss under Osorio, the last being that 7:0 loss to Chile

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think this has the potential to turn into a mini-scandal of sorts so I'm going to bring it up here. Plus, this thread needs bumped anyway.

England had the intention of calling Daniel Sturridge up again and ruining his career using him in their upcoming qualifier.

Yesterday, Liverpool claimed that Sturridge has a hip injury and is not available for England duty.

Today, he plays in a post-season friendly in Australia. Looked great actually. Hard to believe he'll be sold.

Tonight, it is claimed he is injured and can't go.

England just needs to leave him alone, honestly. As soon as he plays that many games in a row he will get injured again, but they seem to not care.

I am probably the biggest fan of Sturridge on the planet, but eventually someone has to make the choice as to whether or not he's going to play for a club team or for England. It's abundantly clear that he's not able to stay healthy for both.

Sucks because he's a great striker when he's healthy and probably one of the best pure shooters I've watched in a long time.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Can french fans tell me why the F word Laporte hasn't been called up for France??? ffs Deschamps
Was called up once...
No idea why he hasn't been since then.
Koscielny, Varane and Umtiti are in front of him in DD's mind, which I find acceptable (doesn't mean it's my opinion, but I can understand it). But Adil RAMI????

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Ireland had a C team out. Totally outplayed. When Mexico & Ireland play full A squads IMO they are equal.

Ireland followed this game up with s 3-1 victory over Uruguay.

was an understrength ireland team and even if ireland brought their A team, mexico is more talented.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Netherlands have looked refreshed under Dick so far. Some pretty nice performances. Hope they can carry form.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
It's still Fred Grim no?

Ivory Coast looked like trash, no surprise there with Wilmots as their new manager :laugh:

Belgium play Czech Republic tonight. Starting line up will be Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Chadli, Tielemans, Nainggolan, Carrasco, De Bruyne, Lukaku and Batshuayi. I guess it's still a 3-5-2 with Chadli :)huh:) and Carrasco on the wings

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's still Fred Grim no?

Ivory Coast looked like trash, no surprise there with Wilmots as their new manager :laugh:

Belgium play Czech Republic tonight. Starting line up will be Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Vertonghen, Chadli, Tielemans, Nainggolan, Carrasco, De Bruyne, Lukaku and Batshuayi. I guess it's still a 3-5-2 with Chadli :)huh:) and Carrasco on the wings

You are correct. I forgot he wasn't actually taking over until after, they even showed Grim a bunch of times in the match doy -- though they've already moved to his preferred formation and I believe his team selection.

Cillessen looked really good. Veltman scares the **** out of me and can't be a regular selection I don't know how he keeps making the team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You are correct. I forgot he wasn't actually taking over until after, they even showed Grim a bunch of times in the match doy -- though they've already moved to his preferred formation and I believe his team selection.

Cillessen looked really good. Veltman scares the **** out of me and can't be a regular selection I don't know how he keeps making the team.

Because Veltman is very pressing resistant and quick at passing the ball along.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's really not much in the way of any of those things relative to top competition. He gets by against lesser teams, but his positional play, tackling, and even those things are exposed against good players and better teams.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't watch the eredivisie so can just judge by what he's shown in europe, but I've had no complaints with how quickly he moves the ball, and how well he avoids pressure; even against bigger teams. *shrug*

He's not Hummels, but he's good.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Germany's game tomorrow will be interesting, with their squad for the confederation cup not sure how the goalie's will line up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad