World Cup: National Team threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I saw garbage.
Such "nullnummern" so stupid. no efford. No freshness. Nobody tried to shot from far.
That was such a bad game. Booh

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
All this griping over Sane is old already. He simply hasn't played well with the NT system, and there isn't enough time before the WC to get him where he needs to be. It's just that simple. Putting him in as a late sub when Germany are down...against a team that is playing back with little space to give...is not a scenario that Sane can take advantage of. Fresh legs, but no space for him to play well in the manner he's used at Manchester.

As for today, a mistake by the linesman denied a 3rd goal early, two posts were hit, and a few times the finish wasn't precise. SA gets a generous PK, denied a very late one, but this of course after multiple subs. Not an embarrassment...just another typical frustrating friendly by Germany. I wish for more in these matches too, but this isn't the WC...yet.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This will actually be Germany's 1st win in a friendly after 4 draws and 2 losses in the last six.
Germany win in a friendly (in which the opponent scored more goals than them) I wonder if @cgf is scared now?

This feels bad. Is this bad? Cause it feels bad.

I don't know how to react to a victorious pre-tourney friendly. So I'm going to go with pants-shitting terror.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
All this griping over Sane is old already. He simply hasn't played well with the NT system, and there isn't enough time before the WC to get him where he needs to be. It's just that simple. Putting him in as a late sub when Germany are down...against a team that is playing back with little space to give...is not a scenario that Sane can take advantage of. Fresh legs, but no space for him to play well in the manner he's used at Manchester.

As for today, a mistake by the linesman denied a 3rd goal early, two posts were hit, and a few times the finish wasn't precise. SA gets a generous PK, denied a very late one, but this of course after multiple subs. Not an embarrassment...just another typical frustrating friendly by Germany. I wish for more in these matches too, but this isn't the WC...yet.
Sorry, but it is embarrassing not give your best in the last game before a WC. Pure arrogance and laziness. Of course it will be different next week. But I am xxxxed right now. Especially after last week's effort vs Austria.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Yeah that was not a good game. at the end i wished for saudi arabia to tie it. They deserved it.
They wanted it more.
And Gomez (love this guy) had two big chances to end it.
but he will do it in the tournament. he is a very good player and he wants to win. :D

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What are your thoughts on critics that say Sane did not get the spot because he does not fit the slow control style of German football? Cause in that sense I see why he is not on the team. But you would think he would make it just so you can inject next level pace into the team with a substitution

I've griped about this enough so I'll keep it short, but I think it's dumb & we limited our options to change things up for no good reason. Firstly, because the solution to all of the "criticisms" of his play with the NT...which are coming from friendlies that are infamously useless for assessing the german NT because they don't play at all like they do in competitive matches...is more time together with the squad for them to click.

And secondly, because even a not-yet-integrated Sane has given the NT more of a spark from the bench in competitive matches than Draxler has in his entire NT-career...plus there's no reason to bring Plattenhart when Rudy is a better FB than him anyway. So there was no reason not to bring both Sane & Brandt, even if Jogi refused to cut his bff...if only to have Sane as plan B joker who can be thrown on late when we need someone who can penetrate a parked bus & give a stale attack some creative impulses.

But whatever, it's still a strong enough team to be favored to win, we just don't have as much variability as we could have had.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What an embarrassing effort by Germany. Disgusting. Good luck S-A. They weren't bad.

This is what happens when germany plays without Özil :sarcasm:

...either that or when we play friendlies, I forget which...
cgf will blame it on Löw for not nomnating his boy Sane. I simply would slap guys like Draxler's face. What a lazy BS this team is.
Actually, Brandt is my boy. Draxler is just so useless that even a not-yet-integrated Sane is a better option from the bench.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sorry, but it is embarrassing not give your best in the last game before a WC. Pure arrogance and laziness. Of course it will be different next week. But I am xxxxed right now. Especially after last week's effort vs Austria.

I would like to see a sense of desperation at some point. A sense that they feel pressure to contest every ball, etc...but I can't say it's truly necessary in the last friendly before WC, given injuries in the past. I'll remain calm until they fall on their face when it matters, and don't regroup. Normally we see a slight learning curve in the group stage, and that's where the desperation should show...by the South Korea match anyway...:D.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

How are you still able to get mad about it? I can't even remember a time when we didn't suck at friendlies.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
This is what happens when germany plays without Özil :sarcasm:

...either that or when we play friendlies, I forget which...

Actually, Brandt is my boy. Draxler is just so useless that even a not-yet-integrated Sane is a better option from the bench.
Bitch. :P

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I would like to see a sense of desperation at some point. A sense that they feel pressure to contest every ball, etc...but I can't say it's truly necessary in the last friendly before WC, given injuries in the past. I'll remain calm until they fall on their face when it matters, and don't regroup. Normally we see a slight learning curve in the group stage, and that's where the desperation should show...by the South Korea match anyway...:D.

We can't forget that we're an older team now. I'm much more worried about them hitting the tourney as fresh & fit as possible, than whether they can still turn it on when the matches matter again.

Reactions: robertmac43

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Thats how it is.
but they should be ashamed of themselfs with such a demonstration.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

There's no need for desperation in these games, a bit of professionalism alone would be a good thing though. I don't think Löw gives a crap about friendlies himself. How often do you hear "This will be a good chance for so and so to recommend themselves for a place in the starting lineup" ahead of friendlies only for so and so to be totally anonymous and as crappy as everyone else in that friendly. Clearly there must be some other sort of messaging internally or all of those guys don't care if they play or not. I doubt the latter, so it must be the former.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's no need for desperation in these games, a bit of professionalism alone would be a good thing though. I don't think Löw gives a crap about friendlies himself. How often do you hear "This will be a good chance for so and so to recommend themselves for a place in the starting lineup" ahead of friendlies only for so and so to be totally anonymous and as crappy as everyone else in that friendly. Clearly there must be some other sort of messaging internally or all of those guys don't care if they play or not. I doubt the latter, so it must be the former.

Aside from any angst these last 4-6 friendlies pose for us, I think the overly cautious and preparatory nature toward friendlies will have to change by 2022 and beyond. 2nd tier sides are becoming stronger and at some point the NT will not be able to afford a learning session in the group stage. They will have to show up fully prepared tactically and personnel wise.

In 2026 it will be the start of the 48 team setup with only three teams per group, with perhaps even less room for error. Low likely won't be in charge by then, but the NT will have to take a more serious approach to UEFA Nations League (which may require it regardless), and friendlies leading up to the WC. They will probably have to play multiple matches with the best XI gaining cohesion BEFORE they even announce the final 23 and enter camp. Top nations like Brazil, Spain, etc, will no longer be able to just show up and qualify for the knockout round. The world is soon to catch up, with a riskier group stage to come.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Enzo Perez the official replacement for Lanzini...

I'm hoping the on field replacement is Pavon on the right or Meza... hell wouldn't even mind Perez. Anything, but Banega/Biglia.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This match highlighted my concerns with Mexico...especially if they swedes only need a draw to advance when they meet in that third match. The Danes have more quality around their star, but the swedes are similarly well organized, strong, and Forsberg can craft a moment of magic.

Rooting for the mexicans because they're really interesting and have some exciting talent with which to play some beautiful football; Lozano, Corona, Fabian, Herrera, etc. But this game didn't make me feel better about their chances.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this French team is fragile and it all starts with the coach. Why would you start Kante and Matuidi in a game when you will have all of the possession? Should’ve just went Pogba and Tolisso, not to mention the big gaffe of leaving off Rabiot who would help in a game where you’ll have a lot of possession. And Giroud is of no help to France against us. We can defend his aerial ability. He’s probably the easiest matchup for our players today. We would struggle much more with Mbappe as a CF and Dembele on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad