World Cup: National Team threads #2

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Gold Cup draw was made yesterday, however due to fixture congestion (CONCACAF Nations League finals are this summer + World Cup qualifying for the teams outside the top 5) means some teams might not bring their strongest squad to this tournament, Canada's manager Herdman hinted to this yesterday. Also, the tournament as always will be held in the US but the venues are not yet known

A: Mexico, El Salvador, Curacao, winner of T&T/Montserrat/Cuba/French Guiana playoff
B: USA, Canada, Martinique, winner of Haiti/SVG/Bermuda/Barbados playoff
C: Costa Rica, Jamaica, Suriname, winner of Guatemala/Guyana/Guadeloupe/Bahamas playoff
D: Honduras, Panama, Grenada, Qatar

All the focus here will be on USA-Canada but if both sides use 'B' teams, especially Canada, that takes the luster off, as I mentioned, Herdman is putting most of the focus on WCQ; CONCACAF got slightly lucky that if both Mexico/USA win their groups they won't meet until the final, though maybe you can't trust CONCACAF having a 'clean' draw :sarcasm: On paper Group D is the toughest because of Qatar, who after all are the Asian champions and will play two solid CONCACAF sides, but they are also playing in the Copa America so who knows what squad they bring either, though Haiti is also a strong Pot 4 team for the US's perspective but they have to go through a playoff

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Going to be tough to predict much until we know the full schedule for WC qualifying. As Herdman alluded to to this may not be a priority for Canada. Even if we have a weaker squad, it will be interesting to see some of the younger fringe first team players get a chance to impact a bigger tournament.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Roberto Martinez has called up five 'new' players who could make their Belgium debut against Ivory Coast (Oct 8), England (Oct 11) or Iceland (Oct 14)

Zinho Vanheusden (21, CB, Standard Liege)
Sebastiaan Bornauw (21, CB, FC Köln)
Joris Kayembe (26, LB/LW, Charleroi)
Alexis Saelemakers (21, RB/RW, Milan)
Dodi Lukebakio (23, ST, Hertha Berlin)

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
What are your thoughts on Saelemakers? Doe she have a high ceiling?

Not that high I think although it's still early, but his transfer to Milan took everyone by surprise. I think a move to Atalanta would have made more sense, he'd be a perfect fit for them.
He's versatile, has a very direct and intense playing style but he's often also reckless and tries to do too much. It's also not quite clear what his best position is or will be.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Camavinga with another call up to France's senior team. I'm sure there is a certain French poster excited about this ;)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Fernando Santos just announced Portugal’s best squad he has ever picked. Hands down.

271BE862-53B3-4EC1-8E47-34740B4FA915.jpeg

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just want someone to look at me the way Pavel Buchnevich looks at young Dortmund players

Have you seen him play yet? He’s a mega-talent. Southgate this week had to say they weren’t going to call him up this window because they wanted to let him get more games in the U21’s first.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Another season or so and some of the younger upcoming midfielders and attackers (Florentino, Dantas, Fabio Veira, Leao) will replace the likes of Sergio Oliveira and Podence..who while decent are nowhere near the standard of the other players.

Nuno Mendes is going to easily replace Mario Rui as well, and will probably take the starting LB position from Gurreiro in a year or so.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why is Sancho on international duty? He was sick, and couldn't play the past week for his club. He only made it back for one day of individual training at the end of the week. England shouldn't be dragging him away to play meaningless games when he's not fit to play for his club.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Israel has 3 players that started the Nations League against Scotland out either due to Covid or injury (Peretz, Tawatha, Bitton).

This is Scotland's chance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad