World Cup: National Team threads #2

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

If European clubs deny players from traveling will they go on with just South American domestic players?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How many National Teams are better than this one?

Goalies: Lopes, Mendy, Oukidja
Defense: Koulibaly, Mandi, Sane, Saiss, Sabaly, Nyom, Guerreiro, Ghoulam
Midfielders: Kondogbia, Bennacer, Fofana, Silva, Mahrez, Pepe, Harit, Boga
Forwards: Aubameyang, Marega, Niang, Toko Ekambi

----------------Lopes------------------
Sabaly-Koulibaly-Mandi-Guerreiro
--------Kondogbia---Bennacer------
---------------Harit--------------------
Mahrez------Aubameyang------Pepe

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina's squad got named much earlier than expected. NO Lisandro, NO Senesi, NO Martinez of River plate. Ridiculous. The cbs named are a joke. Otamendi, Kannerman, Foyth, Balerdi and Medina. Its as if they dont watch the Dutch league.

Reactions: Ajacied

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford

Quarta, Zaracho and Montiel omitted possible due to the lengthy lay off in the Primera or may be added as domestic squad members. Foyth and Balerdi need to earn their spots talented as they are by playing regularly. Foyth needs to exit Tottenham. Over time Otamendi needs to be eased out along with Kannemann. Romero and Senesi are in the wings. Lisandro Martinez could play the DM role given Asascibar is still being ignored.

The idea of so called hard man Paredes or Guido R in there is terrifying. Paredes could not punch his way out of a paper bag. Pavon needs to earn his spot by playing in Europe. The MLS form is hardly justification for him to be picked. At least the two first choice keepers are picked on form. Marchesin needs to make way for Pourtau for experience or Benitez at Nice.

Messi's red card was a comedy show as well. Should not have been a red in the first place. Referee desperate for the limelight.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Benitez is a ghigh quality goalie. Apparenty, he's considering switching to french nationality and he has a decent chance at being 3rd or 4th on the NT depth chart.
No idea why Argentina doesn't select him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Quarta, Zaracho and Montiel omitted possible due to the lengthy lay off in the Primera or may be added as domestic squad members. Foyth and Balerdi need to earn their spots talented as they are by playing regularly. Foyth needs to exit Tottenham. Over time Otamendi needs to be eased out along with Kannemann. Romero and Senesi are in the wings. Lisandro Martinez could play the DM role given Asascibar is still being ignored.

The idea of so called hard man Paredes or Guido R in there is terrifying. Paredes could not punch his way out of a paper bag. Pavon needs to earn his spot by playing in Europe. The MLS form is hardly justification for him to be picked. At least the two first choice keepers are picked on form. Marchesin needs to make way for Pourtau for experience or Benitez at Nice.

Messi's red card was a comedy show as well. Should not have been a red in the first place. Referee desperate for the limelight.
I assume Zaracho and Martinez will be in once he names the SA players. Although the former has the virus. Lisandro has to be a starter as a defender preferably or DM. Either way not calling is a joke. Ascacibar's is his own doing waited too long at Sttutgart moved 6 months after they got relegated and how injuries are an issue. He needs to get back to his level before thinking of the NT.

Paredes is crap but theres no better option for now.... Agreed about Pavon

member 305909

I would like to ask South-Americans about the rivalry in their continent.

Namely, many Argentinians say that they cheer for Uruguay unless they are themselves against them.

I can imagine that it might not work the other way round though, lol.

However, the Spanish-speaking South-Americans may have squabbles but they don't hate each other.

It is Brazil which all the other South-Americans hate.

Is this a true observation?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I would like to ask South-Americans about the rivalry in their continent.

Namely, many Argentinians say that they cheer for Uruguay unless they are themselves against them.

I can imagine that it might not work the other way round though, lol.

However, the Spanish-speaking South-Americans may have squabbles but they don't hate each other.

It is Brazil which all the other South-Americans hate.

Is this a true observation?

I'm not South American, but I know a lot personally and a decent amount about their football.

I would disagree that Brazil is 'hated' by all the others, most of the South American teams have much bigger rivalries with other countries. Chile for example would dislike Argentina and Peru much more than Brazil (despite some recent World Cup results), Uruguay's rivalry with Argentina is probably much more intense than their rivalry with Brazil, Peru seems to be very disliked by their neighbors in Chile/Ecuador/Colombia. I don't think anyone other than Argentina and maybe Uruguay has a very intense rivalry with Brazil, I haven't really heard or seen many South Americans express much ire for them.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Rakitic announced his international retirement, it was coming, he was slowly being phased out and during these past Euro 2020 qualifiers he often dropped out of the squad as well citing fatigue and other issues

Reactions: robertmac43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought it'd be a good time to mention that the USA has starters right now for Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Leipzig, and a player about to transfer to Bayern/Barca (we also have a 20 and 19 year old, respectively, on the fringe of both first team's), amongst others. All these players are 22 or younger.

That probably doesn't sound that good to a fan of Brazil or France, but the USA is really improving a lot, and its not just a few good years. The players in the younger age groups are just as good, and will be joining these guys. I won't make any predictions for when the USA becomes a power or anything like that, but we are a real up and comer in the sport.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I thought it'd be a good time to mention that the USA has starters right now for Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, Chelsea, Leipzig, and a player about to transfer to Bayern/Barca (we also have a 20 and 19 year old, respectively, on the fringe of both first team's), amongst others. All these players are 22 or younger.

That probably doesn't sound that good to a fan of Brazil or France, but the USA is really improving a lot, and its not just a few good years. The players in the younger age groups are just as good, and will be joining these guys. I won't make any predictions for when the USA becomes a power or anything like that, but we are a real up and comer in the sport.

Absolutely exciting times. Seriously need to get striker and CB figured out to make any noise in 2022 or 2026 tho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad