NCAA GDT: National Signing Day 2016

Sep 19, 2008
I guess I shouldn't be surprised as the allure of Harbaugh is far bigger than it was at Stanford. Not to mention Michigan >>> Stanford.

But I didn't think he would be able to recruit this quickly. They're still all unknowns at the end of the day though.
He's been doing this the second he got there. Literally all the buzz last off season was his recruiting and satellite camps. Great coach

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Maybe but the kid won't care about that. Most of them grew up poor. I just believe every really good team is cheating somehow. Just takes time to get busted.

I know the kid won't care. I'm just saying I wouldn't do that if I were the recruiting coach or coach

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I know the kid won't care. I'm just saying I wouldn't do that if I were the recruiting coach or coach

You wouldn't get many of the upper echelon recruits then. Nearly every NCAA football program is providing improper benefits to players. It's usually the players themselves that get the school in trouble. Thats just the way of the world when the NCAA clings to the amteur status line, despite profiting millions from the players' performance.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Michigan isn't offering anything super shady to people and I'm fairly sure neither are the rest of the big schools. Very very generous academic support IMO is about the upper limit of what schools will do within their confines. NCAA investigations tend to be potent only when it comes to things the schools or people directly employed by them have done. Everything else only tends to get out by accident.

As a result, what the boosters, agents and other hustlers do is the real story and I'm sure the degree to which the schools are aware of it or even condoning it varies from staff to staff and school to school. This ranges from "will report when it comes to light" over "looking away as hard as you can" to "actively enabling it".

Agents are IMO big players when it comes to illicit benefits and it's underestimated because the media doesn't too often talk about it. Perhaps because sports writers and agents like to have good relationships as they are mutually beneficial to each other. If you're an agent who wants to sign good players it's extremely useful to be good friends with coaches and journalists. There's a nexus here between these three groups which has the potential of being very corrupt.

Sep 19, 2008
People are commiting to Michigan in droves because Harbaugh is a great personality

People think this is the fab four or sumptin that was two decades ago

This **** is legit

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
People are commiting to Michigan in droves because Harbaugh is a great personality

People think this is the fab four or sumptin that was two decades ago

This **** is legit

Lol sure buddy. Its how recruiting works. You sound like ex AD Paul Hackett.

Sep 19, 2008
Urb loves his new quarterback he recruited.

Lol sure buddy. Its how recruiting works. You sound like ex AD Paul Hackett.

The recruits ****ing love Harbaugh cause he climbs up trees and Netflix and chills with them

It's by no means linked to monetary reward

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
WVU is having a great finish to their recruiting season. Just landed JUCO All American CB Mike Daniels. Landed a JUCO 4* RB. It sounds like they are landing 4* LB Brendan Ferns and CB Elijah Battle. Possibly some surprises, too.

Yep, very surprised and happy with how the class turned out this year. A lot of immediate impact types to make up for some of the holes that were opening. And the HS group we're bringing in is solid as well.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Yep, very surprised and happy with how the class turned out this year. A lot of immediate impact types to make up for some of the holes that were opening. And the HS group we're bringing in is solid as well.

I was hoping PSU could flip Kyzir White. From what I heard it was close to happening then Shoop left for TN and killed any chance of that happening. That kid is gonna be good for you guys.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I was hoping PSU could flip Kyzir White. From what I heard it was close to happening then Shoop left for TN and killed any chance of that happening. That kid is gonna be good for you guys.

Yep, I think he's going to be able to step right in to the role that Joseph was playing for us the past 3 years til his injury this year. By all reports the kid's an absolute baller.

I thought you guys were going to flip him too until he went on that last visit to Morgantown. Honestly that's often what I pay the most attention to with coin-toss situations like that, who gets the last chance to really meet with the kid.

Doesn't hurt that we have (well had in Kevin's case) his two bros here either.

member 51464

Urb loves his new quarterback he recruited.

The recruits ****ing love Harbaugh cause he climbs up trees and Netflix and chills with them

It's by no means linked to monetary reward

Netflix and chill kid went to USC....

member 51464

That doesn't change his tactic and what he does

I think the guy being an NFL coach with good name recognition amongst the pertinent age group has more to do with his success recruiting than climbing up a tree. As someone else posted, some recruits were put off by him and found him to be a weirdo :laugh:

Sep 19, 2008
I think the guy being an NFL coach with good name recognition amongst the pertinent age group has more to do with his success recruiting than climbing up a tree. As someone else posted, some recruits were put off by him and found him to be a weirdo :laugh:

He is a good Personality and mingles with recruits well but there has also been Justified Criticism of his actions i.e. him pulling that scholarship of some kid from Illinois

But he is doing Well right Now

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If we assume, all of them are offered money by all of the schools then even in that scenario surely there's gotta be that separates one from the other and it can't just be a bidding war or else every school with deep pockets would get the recruits they throw most money at.

Texas is the richest school in the country, football is their religion and they're probably as desperate as they've ever been. That means purely based on financial resources they should have the #1 class pretty much but in reality they ended up at #11 or something.

Recruiting is shady as hell but it's rarely just about money changing hands. It's usually about connections as much as it is about on-the-ground tactics and the simple ability to sell and close.

Curtis Blackwell has an important job on MSU's staff. The man has never coached college football and his official role is Director of College Advancement & Performance at MSU. He has been an assistant at the HS level in Detroit but most notably prior to this job he was the director of a football academy in Detroit which 'guided' HS players in their pursuit of a football scholarship. In other words, the man is about as 'insider' as you can get on Detroit HS football and that's the only reason he works for MSU. How much dirty stuff happens at that nexus between high school and college sports, how much does he know or partake in? Who knows, but what we do know is that he is exceptionally well-connected.

And of course, Chris Partridge is at Michigan because he was the HC of a New Jersey powerhouse HS program and helps Michigan big-time in being a dominant force in New Jersey recruiting. There's a reason Michigan got 5 of the top 10 players in the state this year including the big prize, Rashan Gary (who of course played for the school Partridge previously coached at). Again, I'm not saying anything about money or the absence of it, I'm saying it's the connections that usually matter most in the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad