Calgary, AB
FSU is looking great right now :D

Did they sign Bismo Funyuns?

maxresdefault.jpg

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Jimbo is one of the most underrated recruiters in the country. Him consistently putting players in the NFL helps too.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Jameis Winston
Davonte Freeman
Kelvin Benjamin
Rashad Greene
Karlos Williams
Nick O'Leary
Tre Jackson
Cam Irving
Bryan Stork
Tim Jernigan
Eddie Goldman
Mario Edwards Jr.
Telvin Smith
Christian Jones
Ronald Darby
LaMarcus Joiner
That corner the Saints drafted last year I forgot his name.

Add in Jalen Ramsey and Roberto Aguayo this year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If we assume, all of them are offered money by all of the schools then even in that scenario surely there's gotta be that separates one from the other and it can't just be a bidding war or else every school with deep pockets would get the recruits they throw most money at.

Texas is the richest school in the country, football is their religion and they're probably as desperate as they've ever been. That means purely based on financial resources they should have the #1 class pretty much but in reality they ended up at #11 or something.

Recruiting is shady as hell but it's rarely just about money changing hands. It's usually about connections as much as it is about on-the-ground tactics and the simple ability to sell and close.

Curtis Blackwell has an important job on MSU's staff. The man has never coached college football and his official role is Director of College Advancement & Performance at MSU. He has been an assistant at the HS level in Detroit but most notably prior to this job he was the director of a football academy in Detroit which 'guided' HS players in their pursuit of a football scholarship. In other words, the man is about as 'insider' as you can get on Detroit HS football and that's the only reason he works for MSU. How much dirty stuff happens at that nexus between high school and college sports, how much does he know or partake in? Who knows, but what we do know is that he is exceptionally well-connected.

And of course, Chris Partridge is at Michigan because he was the HC of a New Jersey powerhouse HS program and helps Michigan big-time in being a dominant force in New Jersey recruiting. There's a reason Michigan got 5 of the top 10 players in the state this year including the big prize, Rashan Gary (who of course played for the school Partridge previously coached at). Again, I'm not saying anything about money or the absence of it, I'm saying it's the connections that usually matter most in the end.

yes and connections is all fine and dandy. Connections are what makes this world run, it's how we get jobs or promotions. Part of it is how hard you work and the other part is who you know. Harbaugh is an interesting character a player's coach who doesn't do things of the norm...i.e (having his own camps in the south) (wishing recruits happy birthday and sending out pics of their birthday cakes) the guy is "weird" but it translates to these kids. He's a go getter and works hard at what he does. He's a great coach. The connections to NJ have been there for years it's just Harbaugh has done a better job at closing out signings from previous regimes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yep, I think he's going to be able to step right in to the role that Joseph was playing for us the past 3 years til his injury this year. By all reports the kid's an absolute baller.

I thought you guys were going to flip him too until he went on that last visit to Morgantown. Honestly that's often what I pay the most attention to with coin-toss situations like that, who gets the last chance to really meet with the kid.

Doesn't hurt that we have (well had in Kevin's case) his two bros here either.

I don't believe for a second that White was close to a PSU flip. If he was going anywhere, it would've been USC.

Sep 19, 2008
Harbaugh isn't even perfect and he only had the 5th recruiting class (Saban got #1 again IIRC, USC did well with Helton, and of course Urb being Urb) but it's a huge step up and you need to get the talent in order to keep relevant

Harbaugh bringing in the boys

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Hoke had talent. Could not utilize it. Harbaugh utilized it. 10 wins. Probably should be 11 or 12

Harbaugh is going to have better talent and even better utilize it

i like harbaugh cause his random craziness reminds me of myself, but until he can beat sparty and brutus in the same season he will never get where he wants to go

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
i like harbaugh cause his random craziness reminds me of myself, but until he can beat sparty and brutus in the same season he will never get where he wants to go

That's his intention. He's been there one year after taking over a 5-7 team. Time will tell but there's little reason not to be optimistic about his chances.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
That's his intention. He's been there one year after taking over a 5-7 team. Time will tell but there's little reason not to be optimistic about his chances.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if UM is the favorite out of the B1G this year. OSU and MSU lose a lot of players. I was a little surprised at the quick turnaround there, but there was a lot of talent that Hoke brought in, he wasn't doing a full rebuild there.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Hoke did even better than Harbaugh his first year at Michigan. They haven't won the Big 10 in 12 years. They have to prove it before they are a favorite.

Sep 19, 2008
They're the favorites but they've got to back up **** talking

Harbaugh did well but has to beat msu and osu. With msu losing cook it might actually be possible but osu is too damn good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad