OT: National Geographic says Edmonton is one of world's best summer trips

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I brought my partner over when I was back to visit my family and friends. We went to a bonfire for one if my friends birthdays, in the first week of August. It got quite late, and went down to zero degrees. She couldn't believe how cold it was, she'd literally never felt zero degree weather. In summer. The week after we went back home where it was winter, and quite a bit warmer :lol:

First week of August? I'm calling bull malarkey.

You must have found the 1 day in the last 10k august days where it went to 0 in Edmonton.

Especially the beginning of the Month.

That's a tough temp to pull off even in Jasper at that time of year.:shakehead

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Having read though this thread, I've noticed a number of people basing their opinions on varying eras of Edmonton climate.

I can only speak to the past 25 years (I moved here a few years after the tornado), but here is what I remember of the weather, and how it has changed through the years. Feel free to correct me if I have any of the years wrong, I'm bad with time frames. I have grouped them on general

1990-96: Winter weather (minus temperature and snow) beginning late Sept. or early Oct. Often 2 ft of snow by Halloween. Thaw/melt by mid Apr.-early May. Often heavy rain/thunderstorms from May-early July. Many cold snaps, often seeing one full month of below -25 weather, with often 2 weeks or more with low temperatures ranging from -30 to -45. Hot summers, often over 30C through July-mid August.

1997: When things began to change. This year saw warm weather (15-20C daytime highs) through to December 31. That evening the temperature fell to -20, and a blizzard dropped over a foot of snow. The following Winter lasted to mid-May but was quite cold through Jan./Feb.

1998-2004: Winter usually started later than years prior, excepting 97. First snowfalls often late Oct-early Nov. Temperatures in this time period often fluctuating between -20C and 15C causing multiple freeze/melt cycles. Snow often wouldn't stay until late Nov./early Dec. Reduced number of cold snaps . Thaws occurred late Apr.-mid May. Fewer large storms, though those that occurred were often more intense

2005-present: Much different than it was when I moved to Edmonton. First snowfall often not occurring until late Nov. Fewer and shorter periods of cold snaps, with often higher lows than previous years. Fewer severe cold periods during this time (I only remember 3 nights in the past 7 years of below -40). Less average rainfall during this period - though the past 2 years have seen much more than normal through May/June. Summers seeing fewer periods of oppressive heat (greater than 30C)

nvan97

Jun 20, 2008
Edmonton

You must have found the 1 day in the last 10k august days where it went to 0 in Edmonton.

Yeah, Edmonton has only had one sub-zero day in August since records were kept. In 1992 it went to -1.2 and July has never had a sub-zero temp recorded.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Having read though this thread, I've noticed a number of people basing their opinions on varying eras of Edmonton climate.

I can only speak to the past 25 years (I moved here a few years after the tornado), but here is what I remember of the weather, and how it has changed through the years. Feel free to correct me if I have any of the years wrong, I'm bad with time frames. I have grouped them on general

1990-96: Winter weather (minus temperature and snow) beginning late Sept. or early Oct. Often 2 ft of snow by Halloween. Thaw/melt by mid Apr.-early May. Often heavy rain/thunderstorms from May-early July. Many cold snaps, often seeing one full month of below -25 weather, with often 2 weeks or more with low temperatures ranging from -30 to -45. Hot summers, often over 30C through July-mid August.

1997: When things began to change. This year saw warm weather (15-20C daytime highs) through to December 31. That evening the temperature fell to -20, and a blizzard dropped over a foot of snow. The following Winter lasted to mid-May but was quite cold through Jan./Feb.

1998-2004: Winter usually started later than years prior, excepting 97. First snowfalls often late Oct-early Nov. Temperatures in this time period often fluctuating between -20C and 15C causing multiple freeze/melt cycles. Snow often wouldn't stay until late Nov./early Dec. Reduced number of cold snaps . Thaws occurred late Apr.-mid May. Fewer large storms, though those that occurred were often more intense

2005-present: Much different than it was when I moved to Edmonton. First snowfall often not occurring until late Nov. Fewer and shorter periods of cold snaps, with often higher lows than previous years. Fewer severe cold periods during this time (I only remember 3 nights in the past 7 years of below -40). Less average rainfall during this period - though the past 2 years have seen much more than normal through May/June. Summers seeing fewer periods of oppressive heat (greater than 30C)

There can be snow any month. A better indicator is the first snow that stays. And that is usually on ~Halloween.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
There can be snow any month. A better indicator is the first snow that stays. And that is usually on ~Halloween.

November 7, 2013.

December 1, 2012.

I believe it was around Remembrance Day this past year.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
"Too hot" in Edmonton is mildly hot compared to most popular vacation destinations.

Yup. After being in Hong Kong a few summers ago, I probably won't ever complain about Edmonton being too hot anymore. :amazed:

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG

2003 or 2004...it snowed in red deer and nordegg......August Long....

McChucky

TOPPEP
Jul 15, 2007
YEG
November 7, 2013.

December 1, 2012.

I believe it was around Remembrance Day this past year.

In the late 90s it didn't snow until new years....-30 and no snow is way too cold....awesome for hockey on the lake....

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
My wife moved here from Vancouver when we got married in 2008. She easily adjusted. I guess everybody is different

All of her friends down there or acquaintances say the same thing "oh my God it must be tough hey?"

She says, "it's really not as bad or cold as people think"

Agree 100%. When I moved back up north from Vancouver, it was chilly at first, but you get used to it quite quickly. The thing most people forget is that when it's say -10 and sunny, it's way more pleasant to be outside than when it's 5 and raining

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Edmonton has NEVER been too hot. We get like 3-4 days a year (maybe) above 30. That's not too hot.

Yup. Though the dry heat is sometimes a killer, nothing is worse than the tropical humid heat. One day was something like 47 celsius on the humidex or something ridiculous like that. Couldn't even stay outside for 5 minutes. Though my ideal temp range is probably 15-25C, I don't really mind the 30+ days either.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
The one thing I've gotten from this thread is that a large number of people need the weather to be perfect to enjoy themselves.

You think our perpetual winters would have bred some tougher citizens. ;)

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The one thing I've gotten from this thread is that a large number of people need the weather to be perfect to enjoy themselves.

Don't confuse being tough enough citizens to endure our winter weather with those who prefer something nicer. I have sat through many a freezing cold Eskimos game, been out sledding or skating in -20 snow, etc. Doesn't mean that I like it.

If it could be 23-28 everyday, that would be perfect for me. Throw in a few weeks of 30+ temps and I would be in my glory. I hate the winter weather in Edmonton, but I endure and cope with it.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think you should hate a city because of the weather. It is totally uncontrollable. Hate it for the people, infastructure, culture etc.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

There is a lot of truth to this, not to knock any one in particular. I find those that find our winters to be horrible, are also the ones that can't stand the heat either, or the rain, or the wind etc. I mean there is a reason we live at room temp, it is the most comfortable, however some people have literally no tolerance for anything out side that range. so in the end it isnt' so much that many don't like Edmonton weather, it is that so many just don't like weather period.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Anything really is fine for me. I don't mind the blistering cold either that much. Perfect running weather. ;)

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I've always been an August/September guy.. However I am a weirdo.
Weird seeing positive things about this city

I'm a Mctober kind of guy. The one month of the year we are not out of the playoffs. Actually Mcvember might be plesent this year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Anything really is fine for me. I don't mind the blistering cold either that much. Perfect running weather. ;)

I'd like to know what shoes you wear.

I think I'd crack my head open if I ran more than two feet on the ice and snow.

CanadianSuperPromise

Aug 21, 2012
I'll take Edmonton's mild summers over Florida's summers any day of the week. That sticky, humid summer air in Florida is absolutely suffocating for me.

LA's weather however is magical. I'd love to have the funds to live there with the same quality of life I do here.

durdo

Apr 25, 2015
That's simply not true. In fact it's a completely ridiculous statement.
I grew up in Edmonton. Every year I walked from house to house on Halloween with a winter jacket covering up my clever costume. In high school my outdoor soccer season started with snow on the ground.
Trust me, the weather could be a
hell of a lot more pleasant.

I guess moving isn't the same as moving on, Bergeron. Let it go! I'd say you had a bug up your butt, but the bugs in your neck of the woods are way too big for that. :amazed:

I'll take Edmonton winters over the likes of these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad