OT: National Geographic says Edmonton is one of world's best summer trips

durdo

Apr 25, 2015
Thanks for sharing this, Spawn.

And there's nothing wrong with our weather, folks, outside of maybe the last couple months of winter.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Well! Isn't this thread apropos!!?! This seems like a good place to post this.

Blues fan here in peace.

I came to your board to ask about things to do in Edmonton. I am flying there on Wednesday and will be in Edmonton itself for two days. One day in Grande Prairie (First Nation function) and one day touring Jasper National Park.

I won't have boat loads of time, so I will keep this focused.

1. What is the most awesome vegetarian restaurant in Edmonton?

2. What is your coolest (quirkiest) museum/attraction?

Go see this

Image from http://new.unitedcycle.com/images/stanley/TheCup.jpg.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Blues fan here in peace.

I came to your board to ask about things to do in Edmonton. I am flying there on Wednesday and will be in Edmonton itself for two days. One day in Grande Prairie (First Nation function) and one day touring Jasper National Park.

1. Definitely not the person to ask...I've only heard of Noorish (http://noorish.ca/)

2. The Muttart has some cool plants if you're into that.
The Telus World of Science has a cool space observatory you can check out.
You can ride the small boat on the river (forget what it's called).
If you've got a bit of cash and a bunch of people you can rent out the old streetcar and go across the river on the High Level Bridge. You'll be able to stop in the middle and drink over the river.
A lot of Edmontonians hate on WEM but I think it's a cool place to spend a day at. There's a lot of things to do.
Segway tours are alright, but I think they're a little too short to be enjoyable.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Another thing to mention is the Blues and Jazz festivals that come through every year. Allot of top notch acts and guitarists roll through this town each year. And there is the Folk fest as well.

I love Edmonton in the summer.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I'm as big of a detractor of the climate here as anybody but the weather from May to October is as pleasant as it gets.

Where people get this idea that Edmonton is some desolate wasteland 8 months of the year is beyond me.
Agreed. Very cold winters for 2 to 3 months Jan and Feb the rest to me seems moderate to me. I have lived here my entire life though so could just be use to it.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm as big of a detractor of the climate here as anybody but the weather from May to October is as pleasant as it gets.

Where people get this idea that Edmonton is some desolate wasteland 8 months of the year is beyond me.

Well we get 6 months of what most in the world would call winter. Nov to april is really what most of world calls winter. With that said, I love winter.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton

Blues fan here in peace.

As others have mentioned Padmanadi is quite easily the most popular vegetarian restaurant. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Veggie Garden is my go to place to eat. Very reasonable prices and great food.

Not a big fan of Noorish my self, but if you're into organic/health food you might enjoy it more than I do.

There is also a vegan pub that opened recently. I believe it's called Arcadia.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

That's simply not true. In fact it's a completely ridiculous statement.
I grew up in Edmonton. Every year I walked from house to house on Halloween with a winter jacket covering up my clever costume. In high school my outdoor soccer season started with snow on the ground.
Trust me, the weather could be a
hell of a lot more pleasant.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I grew up in Edmonton. Every year I walked from house to house on Halloween with a winter jacket covering up my clever costume.
Just a coat? You must have been a city slicker. Wading though snowdrifts, some as high as my waist, was normal for me on Halloween. No :sarcasm:
People trying to convince themselves that Edmonton has nice weather either simply prefer a cool, climate or haven't actually lived long term anywhere else.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just a coat? You must have been a city slicker. Wading though snowdrifts, some as high as my waist, was normal for me on Halloween. No :sarcasm:
People trying to convince themselves that Edmonton has nice weather either simply prefer a cool, climate or haven't actually lived long term anywhere else.

I brought my partner over when I was back to visit my family and friends. We went to a bonfire for one if my friends birthdays, in the first week of August. It got quite late, and went down to zero degrees. She couldn't believe how cold it was, she'd literally never felt zero degree weather. In summer. The week after we went back home where it was winter, and quite a bit warmer :lol:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Their list having Edmonton, Alberta on it is ridiculous to say the least. The weather here from May until Halloween however is completely fine and some days are even too hot in the middle of summer. Consistency is the real problem.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Their list having Edmonton, Alberta on it is ridiculous to say the least. The weather here from May until Halloween however is completely fine and some days are even too hot in the middle of summer. Consistency is the real problem.

"Too hot" in Edmonton is mildly hot compared to most popular vacation destinations.

It's on their list because of the many activities going on this summer, including our usual festival circuit and the Fifa Women's World Cup.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
My wife moved here from Vancouver when we got married in 2008. She easily adjusted. I guess everybody is different

All of her friends down there or acquaintances say the same thing "oh my God it must be tough hey?"

She says, "it's really not as bad or cold as people think"

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
My wife moved here from Vancouver when we got married in 2008. She easily adjusted. I guess everybody is different

All of her friends down there or acquaintances say the same thing "oh my God it must be tough hey?"

She says, "it's really not as bad or cold as people think"

A lot of transplants from Vancouver Island say things like that.

It's because they experience a really bone-chilling humidity in their winters. It makes things a more painful than they should be, given the temperature.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009

Ridiculous based on what?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That's simply not true. In fact it's a completely ridiculous statement.
I grew up in Edmonton. Every year I walked from house to house on Halloween with a winter jacket covering up my clever costume. In high school my outdoor soccer season started with snow on the ground.
Trust me, the weather could be a
hell of a lot more pleasant.

No more ridiculous than your statement, I'd wager.

Perhaps "as pleasant as it gets" was the wrong way to phrase it, but it definitely is pleasant outside of the odd freak storm, which are not the norm. The last couple of years Edmonton has had 2 week stretches in January of days above freezing and pretty mild winters overall, where I've worn a t-shirt and shorts when going out in Jan and Feb but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that it is a regular occurrence.

I also grew up here and have lived throughout the states, your recollection of Edmonton late Octobers is much different than mine and borders on hyperbole. There was snow on the ground in October some years and other years it was equally chilly but it is definitely not as regular an occurrence as you claim it to be. In fact going back a decade, even the daily low temps on October 31st from Environment Canada don't back up your claim.

Edmonton doesn't have the perfect climate and winters can be beyond harsh but there is nothing wrong with Edmonton's climate from May until October.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Agreed. Very cold winters for 2 to 3 months Jan and Feb the rest to me seems moderate to me. I have lived here my entire life though so could just be use to it.

You do get used to it although the older I get, the more sensitive I find myself to those -25 days. Loved it as a kid but even the slightest bit of wind chill just kills me now :laugh:

Well we get 6 months of what most in the world would call winter. Nov to april is really what most of world calls winter. With that said, I love winter.

I could learn to love it a little bit more if we could look forward to those two week reprieves of mild temps we've gotten the past couple years in January every year :laugh:

DJ EarWax

Apr 3, 2011
No more ridiculous than your statement, I'd wager.

Perhaps "as pleasant as it gets" was the wrong way to phrase it, but it definitely is pleasant outside of the odd freak storm, which are not the norm. The last couple of years Edmonton has had 2 week stretches in January of days above freezing and pretty mild winters overall, where I've worn a t-shirt and shorts when going out in Jan and Feb but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that it is a regular occurrence.

I also grew up here and have lived throughout the states, your recollection of Edmonton late Octobers is much different than mine and borders on hyperbole. There was snow on the ground in October some years and other years it was equally chilly but it is definitely not as regular an occurrence as you claim it to be. In fact going back a decade, even the daily low temps on October 31st from Environment Canada don't back up your claim.

Edmonton doesn't have the perfect climate and winters can be beyond harsh but there is nothing wrong with Edmonton's climate from May until October.
Halloween and the weather in general isn't near as bad as he's making it out to be. As a matter of fact, over the last 10 years we've had snow on the ground for Halloween twice, 2006 and 2012. It drives me crazy when people say **** like "Edmonton has 8 months of winter!" Which 8 months exactly?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00