OT: National Geographic says Edmonton is one of world's best summer trips

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Considering all the flack that this city gets from HFboards, it's pretty neat seeing our city on a list like this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...is-one-of-world-s-best-summer-trips-1.3078211

The writer, Maryellen Kennedy Duckett, noted Edmonton is hosting a variety of international events this summer, highlighting the FIFA Women's' World Cup in August, alongside annual favourites such as the Edmonton International Fringe Festival and the Street Performer's Festival.

"Edmonton is welcoming the world this summer," she wrote.

Mods can feel free to merge with the OT thread of course, but I thought a little positivity about our city could use some attention.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Summer in Edmonton is grand.

The boys of winter can make it a year round phenomenon:)

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Edmonton is great for around 2 months of the year. Tons of events, lots of sunshine, clean air, lack of extreme weather.

If I could come back for June and July every year I would.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Edmonton's pretty based in the summer. Constant stuff to do, tons of park land, good weather.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I saw this list as well, it was one of those sort of quarky random lists though. Which is fine, just saying it wasn't really based on all that much. That being said, Edmonton is a great city in the summer, it comes alive for sure.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I've always been an August/September guy.. However I am a weirdo.
Weird seeing positive things about this city

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I've always been an August/September guy.. However I am a weirdo.

Nah, I think you're pretty normal.

Truth be told, May through October is usually pretty good. In terms of visuals, smell and weather - fall may be the best, the only problem is what looms after.

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009
If you think Edmonton is boring during the summer, you are probably the one who is boring.

*Not directed at anyone in particular*

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Amazing international recognition for Edmonton! I'm a little surprised by the inclusion but there is no question that Edmonton is a fantastic place to be in the summer if you enjoy being outside.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Kevin Lowe was still in charge he'd be putting that National Geographic article as part of a new DVD package for free agents. Kidding aside, Edmonton and surrounding areas are comparable to anywhere else in the world for entertainment. They're probably only recognizing us now because of Mcdavid...

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Well! Isn't this thread apropos!!?! This seems like a good place to post this.

Blues fan here in peace.

I came to your board to ask about things to do in Edmonton. I am flying there on Wednesday and will be in Edmonton itself for two days. One day in Grande Prairie (First Nation function) and one day touring Jasper National Park.

I won't have boat loads of time, so I will keep this focused.

1. What is the most awesome vegetarian restaurant in Edmonton?

2. What is your coolest (quirkiest) museum/attraction?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Blues fan here in peace.

I came to your board to ask about things to do in Edmonton. I am flying there on Wednesday and will be in Edmonton itself for two days. One day in Grande Prairie (First Nation function) and one day touring Jasper National Park.

I don't have the answers to your questions re: Edmonton, but enjoy the town of Jasper and the National Park. It is often under-looked and under-appreciated compared to the more touristy commercial feel of Banff but is just as much fun. If you want a great restaurant there with excellent vegetarian options hit up The Raven Bistro.

Enjoy your trip.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton

Blues fan here in peace.

I'm not much of a vegetarian but my ex was there is this place on 109th called noorish ate there a few time really liked the food.http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/131/161...ious-Eatery-and-Superfood-Elixir-Bar-Edmonton
As for the museum it's not much of one but the muttart is pretty cool. http://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_events/muttart-conservatory.aspx

Auguste McEscoffier

Oct 20, 2009

Blues fan here in peace.

1) Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant

2) Muttart Conservatory, Neon lights (at night near thr arena district), Fort Edmonton Park.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

Blues fan here in peace.

Dunno about Vegetarian, not my thing, but for museum attractions right now, the Telus World of Science has a really cool dinosaur exhibit going on.

Aceonfire*

I actually like Edmonton more in the Spring/Fall than I do the summer.

It gets really hot with very little cloud cover and the city gets ridiculously crowded because of the events and festivals.

If you are a tourist the best time to come here is in September, October. The kids are back in school and not crowding the Malls, transit etc..

You can see Hockey games, Esks games, etc..

Places like Fort Edmonton park are still open and way less crowded. The Zoo also.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Edmonton is more..............???

Edmonton is great for around 2 months of the year. Tons of events, lots of sunshine, clean air, lack of extreme weather.

If I could come back for June and July every year I would.

Edmonton is more than just two months of the year.......in a normal, typical year...spring and autumn is just as nice.........especially the spring time.. the fresh air.....temperature around 68 degrees Fahrenheit..........the trees, shrubs and grass starting to turn green.

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
1) Padmanadi Vegetarian Restaurant

2) Muttart Conservatory, Neon lights (at night near thr arena district), Fort Edmonton Park.

Yep on both counts.

There's nothing wrong with the Provincial Museum either. Sure, it's no Louvre. But it doesn't need to be. Great local Alberta history for someone from far out of town.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00