NFL: Nathaniel Hackett so fired (Jerry Rosberg interim)

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Stuff like this is hilarious when you consider Eric Bienemy can't get a sniff.
I have no doubt that Bienemy could do better than a guy whose defense allowed a crippled 49ers team to convert a 3rd and 31 with a f***ing running play.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I have no doubt that Bienemy could do better than a guy whose defense allowed a crippled 49ers team to convert a 3rd and 31 with a f***ing running play.
Or maybe the only team that went into Santa Clara and put a hurtin' down on them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So who would be the most ''RFO'' (Russell friendly offence) coach they can find? One of his old Seahawks OC's I am guessing?
Bevell for 6 seasons, then Brian schottemheimer for 3, and then Shane Waldren for the last season in Seattle over his 10 years with Seattle. I don’t see the first 2 as HC material. Only OC. Waldren, probably wouldn’t be interested in working with Russ again.

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I usually hate knee jerk reactions, but after the week 1 debacle in Seattle, I wouldn't have blamed the Broncos for firing Hackett after his very 1st HC game, He was clearly in over his head, and by week 2, there was zero question as to his incompetence as a HC. I could see how past awful HC's were at least considered for the job, but as others have stated already, he only got it to lure Rodgers to Denver.

I'm of the opinion that Wilson is still salvageable in the short term with the right coaching. Whether that's true or not might not matter in the end though as Denver IMO is the single worst team situation, and no great HC who has other options would wanna go there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You can certainly excuse when coaches don’t look good after a few games. Nick Sirianni looked totally out of his depth last year. But then there was growth, and you didn’t see that here, it was getting worse. Hiring a coach for the coach is just something I can’t wrap my head around though, that’s something the coach should delegate at least to a position coach or something. Not make an outside hire in-season.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
What's interesting is that the majority of 'instant regret' coach hiring cases in the NFL were career college guys who quickly noticed the NFL wasn't for them and they weren't for the NFL. Hackett on the other hand is a guy whose recent resume was mostly NFL-based and he got the job on account of that. It's rare for known NFL quantities to get these jobs and then flame out so quickly and spectacularly. It's a stunning failure really.

• Wow
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Damn it you beat me to that one
giphy.gif

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
While there was some logic behind hiring him, but once that fell through, it didn't take too long for it to become apparent he was in over his head.

I guess the team figured it would reflect worse on them if they were too hasty in his firing.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Russ is the biggest issue with that team though. my word.

I have to think that is going to make it tough to bring in a legit coach and maybe even a GM if Paton gets canned too, you are stuck with Russ at least for 2 years, and that would still be close to a 50 mil dead cap hit so 3 years is more likely, and then all the picks they traded away, who in their right mind would sign up for that? Maybe someone who thinks they can fix Russ or that he's not as cooked as he seems to be, but, if I was Bienemy, I wouldn't take that job.

Reactions: Halladay

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I have to think that is going to make it tough to bring in a legit coach and maybe even a GM if Paton gets canned too, you are stuck with Russ at least for 2 years, and that would still be close to a 50 mil dead cap hit so 3 years is more likely, and then all the picks they traded away, who in their right mind would sign up for that? Maybe someone who thinks they can fix Russ or that he's not as cooked as he seems to be, but, if I was Bienemy, I wouldn't take that job.
For sure they have to keep Russ for 2023 and 2024. If they make Russ a post June 1, 2025 cut they can split the dead cap over 2 seasons at like $30 mill then $20 mill hits in w2025 and 2026. Atl is eating $40 mill for Ryan and Seattle ate $24 mill for Russ this season. Philly ate a big dead cap hit in the $30 mill plus range for Wentz.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
For sure they have to keep Russ for 2023 and 2024. If they make Russ a post June 1, 2025 cut they can split the dead cap over 2 seasons at like $30 mill then $20 mill hits in w2025 and 2026. Atl is eating $40 mill for Ryan and Seattle ate $24 mill for Russ this season. Philly ate a big dead cap hit in the $30 mill plus range for Wentz.

I suppose that is somewhat palatable, and the cap should increase as well, they just have to hope the next two years of Russ aren't as bad as this year has been

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Perfect situatinon for someone like Darren Bevell to sell himself as solution and get HC shot

Can point out his history with Wilson and work in Miami with Tua this year

A candidate like that or some retread failed coach (Nagy for instance) is probably what Broncos are going to end up with in this situation

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

They have to bring in a coach who will take the reigns on how Russell plays, also coach the other 52 guys on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad