Nathan MacKinnon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
This is how the Avalanche do. They're good one year, bad the next.

At least now, if they're outta the playoff hunt, they won't be forced to hold on to ROR and will be able to get something for him at the TDL.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
You're the one who brought up Drouin with this idiotic statement, which further shows how clueless you are about the team.

You're right Mackinnon's numbers wouldn't look so bad if he started this year, but he didn't and has a year of NHL experience under his belt so he's held to a higher standard in terms of performance.

"Mackinnon has no wingers"-Most common line mates are one Gabriel Landeskog (17 points) and Jarome Iginla (16 points), what else you got?

Again, you read my statement completely wrong and completely neglected to read earlier posts explaining that exact statement. I did not say MacKinnon has bad wingers, i said MacKinnon doesn't have wingers that possess his talent/skill. Thats the difference between him and Drouin, Drouin has Stamkos. Please clarify things in your own brain before posting trying to denounce them when you are completely off base.

As for the first part, Drouin is not playing as well as MacKinnon this season and there is nothing you could possibly say to debate that.

Accept that you're still wrong and just stop bothering otherwise.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
MacKinnon has shown improvements in the defense area. Can the same be said about Barkov's offensive game? 2nd overall shutdown center, very nice...

Since, unlike you guys, we would like to attempt to make the playoffs this year, our goal is to win as many games as possible in whatever way possible. Our goal as a team is not to improve Barkov's point production and sacrifice as a team to do so. In saying this, our best defensive center (Barkov) will play the toughest competition and the most D zone starts in order to achieve our main goal. As a 19 year old what he is doing defensively is very impressive. Now with Bolland back, I'd expect an increase in scoring from Barkov.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Again, you read my statement completely wrong and completely neglected to read earlier posts explaining that exact statement. I did not say MacKinnon has bad wingers, i said MacKinnon doesn't have wingers that possess his talent/skill. Thats the difference between him and Drouin, Drouin has Stamkos. Please clarify things in your own brain before posting trying to denounce them when you are completely off base.

As for the first part, Drouin is not playing as well as MacKinnon this season and there is nothing you could possibly say to debate that.

By that logic, MacKinnon has Duchene.

No one's saying Drouin's as good as MacKinnon right now. We're just saying, if you're not familiar with the team, and clearly you're not, you shouldn't make statements about what's happening on that team.

Every TB fan in the world probably has a shrine to Steven Stamkos set up somewhere in their house. Yet we're all willing to admit he hasn't played well this year. So we're not defending Drouin out of blind homerism. But you claim to have better insight than us, and also better insight than boltsprospects.com, a well-respected site that's been around for years, tracking prospects' progress, whose writers can also not figure out why Drouin's being scratched.

But you've watched ten games. And bad players get scratched. So okay.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Since, unlike you guys, we would like to attempt to make the playoffs this year, our goal is to win as many games as possible in whatever way possible. Our goal as a team is not to improve Barkov's point production and sacrifice as a team to do so. In saying this, our best defensive center (Barkov) will play the toughest competition and the most D zone starts in order to achieve our main goal. As a 19 year old what he is doing defensively is very impressive. Now with Bolland back, I'd expect an increase in scoring from Barkov.
You're right, the Avs aren't trying to win games. Silly fans for thinking otherwise.

FoppaForsberg*

He's learning to play Center in the NHL and teams have a season of footage of just how absurdly explosive he is so they give him a lot more space in transition to keep from getting burned. Last year MacK had Stastny and Duchene to center the toughest minutes so he started off on a sheltered third line with Parenteau and Jamie McGinn before joining the Landy-Stastny line as a RW who teams just weren't ready for. This year he has to Center tougher minutes, especially with Johnny Malkin being injured so often. Add in that Landeskog and O'Reilly have been awful this year, Iginla has been settling in, and his struggles shouldn't be a surprise. Plus his first few strides are just in a league of their own, so teams couldn't expect him to fly past people like he did. Now they know just how ridiculously good his burst is, and he's not playing as well or with as much confidence which is why he's not entirely a victim of his circumstances.

My biggest gripe isn't even his defense, it was dreadful last year and was going to need a lot of work whenever we transitioned him to C. No, my biggest complaint is that too often he'll fly into the zone with the puck and at speed, but instead of using that speed and his power to charge the net hard, he curls off to the outside. Letting the defense back off of him and play the pass to the trailer. Maybe if his shot was on he could still force the other team to focus on him when he curled away, but with his accuracy being so off this year that doesn't happen.

This year is about the avs core learning to deal with everything going wrong after everything went right for us last year until the last month of the season, and we'll be better in the long run for it. That said MacK isn't even the biggest disappointment on his line as he's at least still doing good things. Landeskog and O'Reilly on the otherhand have genuinely sucked for much of the season and didn't even look like themselves on the ice for the first 17 games, and even since then both still aren't close to where they have been in previous years Landy is much weaker on his skates and on the puck this year, while O'Reilly has been slower than he was as a rookie and his offensive-touch is missing.

EDIT:
I'd also like to point out that while there were certainly avs fans who drank the koolaid too hard last year and ignored both his poor defense and the reality that he would have many more struggles whenever he was going to have to carry the tougher burden of centering a top 6 line, a lot of the more over-the-top hype came from non-avs fans.

Still a crazy talent who should one day surpass duchene to be one of the league's most dangerous forwards, and no we shouldn't have done something silly like taken a lesser talent just because Seth Jones may have learned to play his offside well enough to partner EJ down the line. Seth Jones is going to be an excellent player, but his raw talent isn't as special as MacKinnon's, and when you pick first overall you take the biggest talent in the draft, even if we didn't have EJ, Barrie, Siemens, and now Bigras making inexperienced but talented D not our biggest need.

100% this. Anyone who says otherwise clearly hasn't watched him this year

Cool Bryz

Little bit bad hands
Jun 15, 2014
He's also shooting at 6% which is about 2 points to low for the league average, let alone elite players. Give him 4 more goals and he's on pace for 65 points, which doesn't look so bad.

Voice of reason. 7 SOG last game.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
Voice of reason. 7 SOG last game.

On that note, I thought Mackinnon was definitely the best Avalanche skater last game against Nashville, and set up by far the Avs best goal scoring chance (the one where Landeskog hit the post from like 5 feet away on a basically open net). The best Avalanche player was of course, Calvin Pickard, who stonewalled the Preds after that first goal and kept the Avs in the game.

Smart Dunsparce*

Nathan MacBust? :sarccasm:

Definitely not the 200 point scorer Avs fans said he would be this year,

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nathan MacBust? :sarccasm:

Definitely not the 200 point scorer Avs fans said he would be this year,

While that seems to be the favorite theory. Avs fans weren't expexcting a superstar out of McKinnon this year. That was mostly other fans. Most of us Avs fans were expecting 55-75 points, which he'll probably hit.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
By that logic, MacKinnon has Duchene.

No one's saying Drouin's as good as MacKinnon right now. We're just saying, if you're not familiar with the team, and clearly you're not, you shouldn't make statements about what's happening on that team.

Every TB fan in the world probably has a shrine to Steven Stamkos set up somewhere in their house. Yet we're all willing to admit he hasn't played well this year. So we're not defending Drouin out of blind homerism. But you claim to have better insight than us, and also better insight than boltsprospects.com, a well-respected site that's been around for years, tracking prospects' progress, whose writers can also not figure out why Drouin's being scratched.

But you've watched ten games. And bad players get scratched. So okay.

It's not about me knowing more than you, it's about you thinking you know more than the coaches. You don't.
And, MacKinnon has more potential/talent than Duchene and doesn't play on his line unless he's switched to wing. So that argument can be thrown out the window for you too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

What does that have to do with anything? Plenty of top players don't have equal linemates plenty of them don't have a Landeskog or Iginla either. Your logic is so flawed, you're implying that Drouin plays with Stamkos (lol, watch games my ass). Drouin has Stamkos less than Mackinnon has Duchene or Crosby has Malkin.

And by the way, we know you're a little sensitive right now, but nobody said Drouin is better than Mackinnon, even if he was producting just as much, Mackinnon is still the better player.

It's not about me knowing more than you, it's about you thinking you know more than the coaches. You don't.
And, MacKinnon has more potential/talent than Duchene and doesn't play on his line unless he's switched to wing. So that argument can be thrown out the window for you too.

:facepalm: completely missed the point.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
What does that have to do with anything? Plenty of top players don't have equal linemates plenty of them don't have a Landeskog or Iginla either. Your logic is so flawed, you're implying that Drouin plays with Stamkos (lol, watch games my ass). Drouin has Stamkos less than Mackinnon has Duchene or Crosby has Malkin.

I said he had the opportunity to play with Stamkos and lost it after not performing to Cooper's standards. (lol, read my posts my ass).

Winger Drouin has had Center Stamkos less than Centers MacKinnon and Crosby have had centers that play on different lines than them? Jeez man, you really don't know what you're talking about do you? Well i'm glad i can now disregard every post you make as irrelevant for now on. And before you even attempt to counter that, tell me, how much Pittsburgh/Colorado do you watch? That's what i thought.

And by the way, we know you're a little sensitive right now, but nobody said Drouin is better than Mackinnon, even if he was producting just as much, Mackinnon is still the better player.

When did I ever even attempt to say one was better than the other? All i ever mentioned was the different routes each took into the NHL and you pulled out parts that were completely irrelevant. You're so sensitive about any mention of your own player that you've changed the entire direction of the thread to him! Get over it, man.

:facepalm: completely missed the point.

No, i didn't. you just completely made a dumb point.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I said he had the opportunity to play with Stamkos and lost it after not performing to Cooper's standards. (lol, read my posts my ass).

Winger Drouin has had Center Stamkos less than Centers MacKinnon and Crosby have had centers that play on different lines than them? Jeez man, you really don't know what you're talking about do you? Well i'm glad i can now disregard every post you make as irrelevant for now on. And before you even attempt to counter that, tell me, how much Pittsburgh/Colorado do you watch? That's what i thought.

When did I ever even attempt to say one was better than the other? All i ever mentioned was the different routes each took into the NHL and you pulled out parts that were completely irrelevant. You're so sensitive about any mention of your own player that you've changed the entire direction of the thread to him! Get over it, man.

No, i didn't. you just completely made a dumb point.

You're taking this slump hard.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People overract on the spectrums way too much here.

A few months ago he's Diet Crosby, now he's MacDaigle :laugh:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He's still overrated, next week when he puts up a few points everyone will have forgot that he's -8 and he only has one point in his last 6 games. I was shunned for saying it earlier in the season but I'll say it again, he's not as good as people on these board will lead you to believe.

He still has tremendous potential, it's undeniable.

But, was his stats inflated last year because he played with Statsny? Yes. Was he given every opportunity to shine? Yes.

Half of his assists last year at even strength were secondary assists. He's capable of producing more than he is now, as a winger, with a capable center. But as a center he's not there yet.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
He's still overrated, next week when he puts up a few points everyone will have forgot that he's -8 and he only has one point in his last 6 games. I was shunned for saying it earlier in the season but I'll say it again, he's not as good as people on these board will lead you to believe.

He still has tremendous potential, it's undeniable.

But, was his stats inflated last year because he played with Statsny? Yes. Was he given every opportunity to shine? Yes.

Half of his assists last year at even strength were secondary assists. He's capable of producing more than he is now, as a winger, with a capable center. But as a center he's not there yet.

This is true... and his -12 not -8... ranked 737 out of 753 in entire nhl +/-

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You're taking this slump hard.

No kidding, he's even lost track of his posts.

Of course we're going to respond when you post uninformed nonsense, that's like me saying Mackinnon is bad defensively because he's a -12, despite Av's fans saying other wise, because you know, people who watch their teams tend to know more than people who don't, shocking, I know.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I bought into the hype and drafted him high in my $$ fantasy league. I am saved by the fact that I am a savvy drafter (getting Little, Tyler Johnson, Filip Forsberg and a couple of key guys late or on the waiver wire).

I fielded offers early for MacKinnon when he started out slow, but I hate selling low. Now I am pot committed and have to hope he shakes out of his funk.

Last night's seven-shot performance was good to see.

I just traded MacKinnon for Thorton and Bozak.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Why is it that every single year after a draft, the guy who ended up going #1 is suddenly consensus #1? I've seen it for MacKinnon, Yakupov, and Nugent-Hopkins recently and all of those guys had serious competition and disagreements as to whether they would go first.

It is funny because I remember the draft and all the analysts were pretty certain Jones was going first, and kept getting surprised when h kept falling all the way to 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce