Nathan MacKinnon

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
there's still plenty of reason to be excited for the future.

A lot of fans (including myself) were expecting BIG things for him following his rookie season. Many of us were seeing a future unstoppable, elite, PPG center. It didn't go as planned but that doesn't mean that it can't happen still. Next year is extremely important, another inconsistent season and I'll start to lose hope. 4 seasons is a good sample.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Bring back Stastny or get someone like Drouin, move him back to the wing, and we are in business again. Otherwise, it's probably gonna just be more of what we saw last season.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
There was nothing wrong with him at center, he has a better year this year at center than he did last year at wing.

How hard is it to have a better year after a Sophomore slump? Almost everyone that has one comes back the next year with something better. Even then, it was still pretty disappointing considering a lot of people thought he would have a Stamkos like breakout this year. He was better playing on the wing with Stastny, IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How hard is it to have a better year after a Sophomore slump? Almost everyone that has one comes back the next year with something better. Even then, it was still pretty disappointing considering a lot of people thought he would have a Stamkos like breakout this year. He was better playing on the wing with Stastny, IMO.

...the first ~30 games of this season (playing at Center) was the best we've seen out of MacKinnon so far...

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
What happened after that? Buttonhooks and weak shots on goal.

im not a huge advanced stats guy, but if you look at his advanced stats you can see that he actually had a pretty solid year. most of his production issues stem from issues within the org, not personal performance. expecting big things from him going forward

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
im not a huge advanced stats guy, but if you look at his advanced stats you can see that he actually had a pretty solid year. most of his production issues stem from issues within the org, not personal performance. expecting big things from him going forward

This season, Mack was a great example of where advanced stats can be misleading...just like Evander Kane's entire career. MacK absolutely played worse after getting frustrated & snake-bit following that incredible stretch that he started the season with. He was settling for worse shots, and generating less high quality chances for his linemates.

What happened after that? Buttonhooks and weak shots on goal.

*shrug* Confidence/frustration probably. That and undisclosed injuries is usually the case in situations like this. I'd guess the team's awful start, his hand (or was it the wrist?) injury, and teams keying in on the 9-line, all played their parts in it. Plus whatever other factors we can't known about.

Last edited:

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado

I'm not saying he was terrible. With all things considered with this crappy season, he was, like you said, actually solid. I have no doubt he would continue to be solid going forward playing center. I just thought he looked more dynamic playing with Stastny.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I'm not saying he was terrible. With all things considered with this crappy season, he was, like you said, actually solid. I have no doubt he would continue to be solid going forward playing center. I just thought he looked more dynamic playing with Stastny.

theres no question that the landy stastny mack line was hot fire. i still think mack can be elite if the entire team can mature and play sustainable hockey. big if though

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I think it would be a bad idea to move him, unless it's a permanent move. I think he was better at wing. I'd just continue to develop him at center and put him with players who think the game at a higher level.

It seems as though hell never drive a line.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it would be a bad idea to move him, unless it's a permanent move. I think he was better at wing. I'd just continue to develop him at center and put him with players who think the game at a higher level.

It seems as though hell never drive a line.

Again, that's exactly what he was doing to start this season. He hit a cold streak and his game suffered the rest of the way. But if MacK comes back next season and gives us 40-50 games at the level he was the first ~30 this year; that will be a huge step.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I really like him with Greg. Maybe they revisit that

Grigorenko is horrible. No idea why everyone loves him so much.
He got 27 points, in 74 games. Extrapolate that out to 82 games, he has:
Goals: 6
Assists: 23

Compare him Matthias, who got 11 points, in 20 games for us. Extrapolate that out to 82 games, he has:
Goals: 24
Assists: 21

Sorry, I'd rather we consider Matthias on the top two lines before we consider Grigorenko. Then again, in order for Mackinnon to be better, we need a huge upgrade on them BOTH.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Compare him Matthias, who got 11 points, in 20 games for us. Extrapolate that out to 82 games, he has:

Sorry, I'd rather we consider Matthias on the top two lines before we consider Grigorenko. Then again, in order for Mackinnon to be better, we need a huge upgrade on them BOTH.

It must be nice to be the type of fan who just looks at stats, no context.

Grigorenko started on the 4th line with limited minutes (and offensively limited linemates). While I think it might be a bit premature for people to just be penciling Grigorenko in on the Top-2 lines, he did show some good stuff while there (while also having some games that weren't so great).

Avs44

May 16, 2011

[MOD]

Let's see...

- Grigorenko was badly mishandled by the Buffalo Sabres, being thrown into the NHL well before he was ready. He was a reclamation project who was eased back into the NHL. Matthias is a seasoned NHL veteran who played his first NHL game in 2007, almost a decade ago.
- Matthias is 28 years old. Grigorenko is 21. Maybe you're not aware, but young players generally need time to develop / reach their potential.
- Grigorenko averaged 13 minutes of ice time per night.
- When Grigorenko was on the ice, per 60 minutes of ice time, the team scored the most goals (2.79) of any Avs player. He also had the best goals scored on ice (for both teams) of any Avs player, with 56% of all goals scored when Grigorenko was on the ice scored by the Avs.

"Grigorenko is horrible." No, it's called a young, badly handled player attempting to resurrect his career, and looking pretty decent while doing so. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
Again, that's exactly what he was doing to start this season. He hit a cold streak and his game suffered the rest of the way. But if MacK comes back next season and gives us 40-50 games at the level he was the first ~30 this year; that will be a huge step.

Yeah it was a little harsh assessment. I remember his shooting percentage was low and hit a few posts.

I'm trying to figure out why this team is so bi polar.

When Mack came out hot who were his linemates. Grigs? I seem to remember them having chemistry

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Grigo was on the 4th line to start the year, I don't recall them playing together much at all to be honest. I think he was playing with Tanguay and Iginla on his wings for a bit, believe it or not, Tanguay was on his line for sure early on.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
[MOD]

Let's see...

- Grigorenko was badly mishandled by the Buffalo Sabres, being thrown into the NHL well before he was ready. He was a reclamation project who was eased back into the NHL. Matthias is a seasoned NHL veteran who played his first NHL game in 2007, almost a decade ago.
- Matthias is 28 years old. Grigorenko is 21. Maybe you're not aware, but young players generally need time to develop / reach their potential.
- Grigorenko averaged 13 minutes of ice time per night.
- When Grigorenko was on the ice, per 60 minutes of ice time, the team scored the most goals (2.79) of any Avs player. He also had the best goals scored on ice (for both teams) of any Avs player, with 56% of all goals scored when Grigorenko was on the ice scored by the Avs.

"Grigorenko is horrible." No, it's called a young, badly handled player attempting to resurrect his career, and looking pretty decent while doing so. [MOD].

No doubt you could see the kid has some great vision.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad