Nathan MacKinnon

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If you really want Mack on the wing you really need to draft a center this year. Maybe Mikko, maybe Jost, maybe maybe is not how you build a team especially at the center position.

I wouldn't say over a defender, but that's mostly because there isn't a strong future #1C available at our draft position. Then you can also say that it depends on what you get in trade for Duchene.

We have a lot of options for the #2 slot obviously, but the question is can MacKinnon succeed as the #1 on a competitive team? Mikko is the only player we have who has all of the tools and IQ needed. It just makes sense to give it a shot. Especially since he had just as much success at center as he did at wing in the AHL.

Maybe, maybe, it depends on maybe lol. That just seems like a damn familiar story these days unfortunately. You could also compare it to a dog chasing his tail IMO.

True, but drafting a natural winger in the hopes of converting him to the kind of center you want isn't really how you do it either.

I don't know if I'd simply call Mikko a natural winger if that is what you are referring to? He played center a ton of the games he played in the AHL, and he was a center before playing wing his draft year. Hes pretty familiar with the position, and has succeeded there at the pro level for a good stretch of time. That combined with his tool set is why I can't get over them not at least giving it a go.

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't know if I'd simply call Mikko a natural winger if that is what you are referring to? He played center a ton of the games he played in the AHL, and he was a center before playing wing his draft year. Hes pretty familiar with the position, and has succeeded there at the pro level for a good stretch of time. That combined with his tool set is why I can't get over them not at least giving it a go.

Nah I was referring to MacKinnon. Of course Rantanen working out at C is a maybe, but it was when we attempted it with MacKinnon too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Nah I was referring to MacKinnon. Of course Rantanen working out at C is a maybe, but it was when we attempted it with MacKinnon too.

I'm confused then, because MacK is a natural center. Unless you are making a joke and I'm completely missing it lol.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
its absolutely painful to see posters point back to Mack's rookie season where he was given a sheltered 3rd line role with pp time and no defensive responsibilities on one of the top offensive teams in the league for half the season and try to argue that it was his best hockey. He is a Center. He will be a center. The only reason he played on wing was due to the absurd depth we had at that position and to let him get his feet wet in the NHL. Let us move on from this conversation...:deadhorse

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
its absolutely painful to see posters point back to Mack's rookie season where he was given a sheltered 3rd line role with pp time and no defensive responsibilities on one of the top offensive teams in the league for half the season and try to argue that it was his best hockey. He is a Center. He will be a center. The only reason he played on wing was due to the absurd depth we had at that position and to let him get his feet wet in the NHL. Let us move on from this conversation...:deadhorse

Well, no. His best hockey was when he was on a line with Landeskog and Stastny. As a Right Wing. Two of our three best defensive forwards at the time. He wasn't given sheltered minutes then.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
His best hockey will be this October with Rantanen on his left and Andrighetto on his right. In all seriousness though, didn't Rene Bourque start on his line this year?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

What? When Mackinnon played a "sheltered third lone role" as you called it, he did it as a centre. He started setting the world on fire that year when he moved to the top line on the wing while facing top competition.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, no. His best hockey was when he was on a line with Landeskog and Stastny. As a Right Wing. Two of our three best defensive forwards at the time. He wasn't given sheltered minutes then.

He is best hockey was at the start of last season, as a center, with tanguay's corpse as his best winger. He produced around a ppg with no help and all of the opposition's attention on him.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
He is best hockey was at the start of last season, as a center, with tanguay's corpse as his best winger. He produced around a ppg with no help and all of the opposition's attention on him.

Even the corpse of Tanguay was still able to move the puck around better than most of the plugs the Avs had on the wing this year.

He'll continue to do well with Rantanen next season.

Until one or both of them get hurt :D

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Consistency is the factor here. He needs to play full season with confidence and with right linemates and im glad we have Rantanen with him. Every year I expect him to breaking out big time but then he falls a little short. This next season will be good I can feel it... (jinxed, he probably wrestles with Barrie at training camp)

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica

MacKinnon regular season stats broken down into months:

October (7 games)=6 pts (1g, 5a)

November (14 games)=9 pts (4g, 5a)

December (15 games)= 10 pts (4g, 6a)

January (12 games)= 8 pts (2g, 6a)

February (14 games)= 8 pts (1g, 7a)

March (16 games)= 10 pts (4g, 6a)

April (5 games)= 2 pts (0g, 2a)

so, technically he put up higher production in his first 35 games of the season than his final 35 games of thee season. Its tough to remember when that 92-26-29 line became a thing, but iirc it wasn't until fairly late in the season

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
I'm from LA and most people can't even name five Kings players who aren't Quick, Kopitar, Brown, or Doughty. I'm surprised you even found people who knew who the Avalanche are.

that was honestly basically exactly what I was gearing up to say. lol. Honestly, [MOD] I don't think it means too much. Alot of people know who a first overall draft pick is in a random sport for a couple years. They see a random shot of the best play or move they made on sports center one day and think wow that kids going to be good and remember the name. Some of those players are total busts and some are only around the league a few years.

I am not saying Mackinnon is or will be but you have to start asking some serious questions with him entering his 5th year in the league and things being how they have to this point.

A big factor in Mackinnons issues in my honest opinion is how he has been played especially in this last season. (Bednar now has a feel for his players and who they are etc. so his pass time is up. If he continues with the same mistakes and they stumble out of the gate I am sure he will be gone as well, but to put everything on him this first season with how things went down a month before camp is not entirely fair.).

Anyways back to Mackinnon... He had arguably his best season his rookie year. What is different from that point to now?

well hes bigger stronger faster.. so why isnt the production there?

Well lets look at it.. when he was here his rookie year he played Right wing and he played with a very good 2 way center in either Stastny, or occasionally Orielly. Both of those players are very good 2 way guys and they are also VERY good play makers!

that is the key folks.. Mackinnon showed again in the International tournamnet that just recently happened.. he was DOMINANT playing.. ON the wing.. with a good play maker and 2 way center..

the last couple seasons mack has been expected to carry the puck through the zone almost everytime their line got the puck and then go in and make the play and set someone up or just score on his own. while i agree he should do that occasionally.. he also should be getting put into a situation where he can work without the puck get open and get those quick 1 timers and other shots when the goalie is moving. When you make mackinnon carry the puck and set up the play it takes away that type of oppertunity from coming consistently.

his shooting percentage was so low this season beacuse in my honest opinion of just that. When he was being asked to play that way the shots he was getting were just ones where he walked in and tried to beat the d man and took a shot at the goalie straight on. can he score that way? heck yes.. but can ANYONE in the NHL score that way every time? well not many..

So to get mackinnons shooting percent up and get his numbers up and in turn his confidence and our win totals we need to play him on the right wing with a very good 2 way center who has great vision and play making ability. If I was Bednar I would be giving Jost and Compher both looks at centering Mackinnon.

The only issue this brings up is breaking up Mackinnon and Mikko who really had some nice chemistry towards the end of the season there. That is the only real concern I have with it, but If Mackinnon can turn into international MacKinnon for the avs (he is all ways on the right wing in international competition for Canadian or North American teams.. hmm why is this? is it something that the coaches see that our avalanche ones have not? hmm.. interesting yes?) then I think that he will not only boost his production goal-wise but his assists as well and that will lead to the team winning a lot more games.

Sorry for the long expose' of sorts, just somethings i have been thinking about and looking into stat wise and stuff. I am going to do a full and more thought out writer up with stats and numbers that back all this up in the future, ill be sure to share that with you guys and gals then too.

Hope you have a great day!

Also, do you other fans agree or disagree? I would honestly love to hear some thoughts whether its in favor of my thoughts or against. I love a good friendly hockey conversation or debate. It will also help me to gather some other view points for the future article, thanks!

#letsgoAvs!

Last edited by a moderator:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Doesn't he play RW everywhere but here? Strikes me as a much more natural winger than center.

Unfortunately we drafted him to become a #1C, so if RW is his natural position, the Avs made a huge mistake.

He'll be staying at centre.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
MacKinnon regular season stats broken down into months:

October (7 games)=6 pts (1g, 5a)

November (14 games)=9 pts (4g, 5a)

December (15 games)= 10 pts (4g, 6a)

January (12 games)= 8 pts (2g, 6a)

February (14 games)= 8 pts (1g, 7a)

March (16 games)= 10 pts (4g, 6a)

April (5 games)= 2 pts (0g, 2a)

so, technically he put up higher production in his first 35 games of the season than his final 35 games of thee season. Its tough to remember when that 92-26-29 line became a thing, but iirc it wasn't until fairly late in the season

He had 10 points in 7 playoff games on that line.

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Doesn't he play RW everywhere but here? Strikes me as a much more natural winger than center.

since he hit the NHL yes in international compitions he has all ways played at rw from what i have found. I dont knwo if he played much wing in the jrs level and pre nhl but he definatly has and did his first year with us.. then the coaches decided he was going to be a center almost exclusivly and it has kind of kliled his proiduction and when the other coahces in international compition still play him at rw and still get huge production i dont know hwat its going ot take for the avs coaches to open their eyes and realize.. i think that bednar will give him a look at RW this year i dont think he is THAT blind.. i dont think any coach can be but.. i guess time will tell

frogman210

Feb 10, 2009
USA
Unfortunately we drafted him to become a #1C, so if RW is his natural position, the Avs made a huge mistake.

He'll be staying at centre.

I know what they drafted him for and to be.. [MOD] hes a muhc better production player at a different position and play him there just beacuse you "drafted him to be a top center" then the avs have more issues then i accept to belive. They will not keep him at center just beaucse they drafted him to be a center..

and if they do.. well then.. the avs are in dire straights, any organization who does that just beacuse they decided befofre even seeing them play at the nhl leve what their position woulud be is asanine. You cant say a guys going ot be x position and never anythign else before you see how he does at that top level guys swap positions all the time from the time they are drafted to their eventual legit nhl role.

not saying anything against you.. beacuse as the avs orgnaization has shown they do stuff like what your saying.. I am just saying that i cant belive that they are going to stay with that after what happened this last season.. i think that they will start realizing that you play players to their strengths and put them in a position to suceed and you can get the most out of them and actually win vs what they are doing now or that we drafted you to be a top center your going ot be a top center type mindset.

Not saying thats your mindset, but i definatly hope/feel and belive that with bednar and his full off season to assees and know the teams and strengths and players and bring in his own coaching staff etc. that he wont be that kind of mindset. If it is though the avs are in deep crap, if they dont and they break from that kind of stupid 1 way thinking mindset then this team is going ot turn around and in a fast way they have some legit skill and talent coming and with the right move or 2 they arte going to be stacked in all positions moving forward exciting times to be an avs fan :)

Last edited by a moderator:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

He played both Winger & Center for team NA and thrived at both spots, and was a Center when he dominated Seth Jones at the memorial cup. Mack's a natural center who needs a smart playmaker by his side like Drouin, Stastny or Tanguay's corpse. This is why Andrighetto performed like an NHL top 6er on his wing this past season; he fits the profile of what MacK needs by his side to thrive; as well as why Grigorenko was actually effective with MacK.

As long as MacK is playing next to a smart playmaker who can hold onto the puck and feed him, MacK can kill it.

I know what they drafted him for and to be.. [MOD] hes a muhc better production player at a different position and play him there just beacuse you "drafted him to be a top center" then the avs have more issues then i accept to belive. They will not keep him at center just beaucse they drafted him to be a center..

MacK produced around the same PPG rate before injuring his hand/wrist last season...while playing Center. And while having less help & more responsibilities than in his rookie year. His best production comes when he's healthy, confident, and playing next to a playmaker. Those are the deciding factors, not that he magically becomes better the instant he's put on the wing, regardless of linemates and role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad