Nathan MacKinnon

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I thought this might deserve it's own thread....

I think some people really underestimating how good MacKinnon is gonna be and I'll tell you why...

I live in LA and I've gone to few places like stores or restaurants etc... and talking to random people at this places about sports, there were few times where I was asked what sport and teams I follow, I said hockey and Avalanche, and this people while not necessarily hockey fans, but just with general knowledge of sports knew who MacKinnon was.

They didn't know who Duchene or Varly, EJ etc are, but they said to me.."you guys have that new MacKinnon kid who's gonna be really good"

I mean that's like none hockey fans knowing who Crosby or "the next big thing" in particular sport is.

That really made me feel even better about the kid. He really is gonna be special.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I'm from LA and most people can't even name five Kings players who aren't Quick, Kopitar, Brown, or Doughty. I'm surprised you even found people who knew who the Avalanche are.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I agree with this. But I think we need to remember he is still so young and developing. He isnt immune to the softmore slump. Especially this year where he is projected to play C against some of the toughest centers in the league, even in his own division.
The reality of NHL play is harsh mistress, and if/when its apparent he is having a hard time against the Getzlafs, Kopitars and Backes, and Toews, and Stastny...yikes good luck Nate.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm from LA and most people can't even name five Kings players who aren't Quick, Kopitar, Brown, or Doughty. I'm surprised you even found people who knew who the Avalanche are.

That's exactly why I was pleasantly surprised that they knew MacKinnon and no one else on the Avs.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I feel the opposite, people are overrating him based on his body of work so far. There's only so many leaps of faith you can take when you start expecting him to hit the 100 point threshold.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
100 points in today's NHL is very difficult to hit. The 2nd best player in the NHL has yet to hit that mark (Stamkos IMO... Malkin is too inconsistent). The best player in the world barely hit is last year.

I have said for a long time that MacK would be a 85-90 point player in his prime. He might have 1 or 2 prime seasons where he touches 100 points, but he won't be consistently at that level. 85-90 points is nothing to scoff at either... those are top 5 sorts of numbers.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
I agree with this. But I think we need to remember he is still so young and developing. He isnt immune to the softmore slump. Especially this year where he is projected to play C against some of the toughest centers in the league, even in his own division.
The reality of NHL play is harsh mistress, and if/when its apparent he is having a hard time against the Getzlafs, Kopitars and Backes, and Toews, and Stastny...yikes good luck Nate.

Just so you know, sophmore slump.

And I agree, he could easily have a bit of one. But I think in the long run he is as good as Tavares, if not potentially better.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
100 points in today's NHL is very difficult to hit. The 2nd best player in the NHL has yet to hit that mark (Stamkos IMO... Malkin is too inconsistent). The best player in the world barely hit is last year.

I have said for a long time that MacK would be a 85-90 point player in his prime. He might have 1 or 2 prime seasons where he touches 100 points, but he won't be consistently at that level. 85-90 points is nothing to scoff at either... those are top 5 sorts of numbers.

Agreed. I put zero limits on this kid but 85-90 point seasons should be the norm for him in his prime imo.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
Just so you know, sophmore slump.

And I agree, he could easily have a bit of one. But I think in the long run he is as good as Tavares, if not potentially better.

I don't want to be that guy but it's sophomore...

MacKinnon is great and will continue to improve. I won't be disappointed if he doesn't become the next big thing so I'm not going to put any pressure on him.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To the point OP made about MacKinnon being more universally recognized, this is something I've been noticing myself. Marketing is what I went to school for way too long for so I'm always very aware of how my teams and their players are perceived. This summer I've noticed MacKinnon on a higher level of recognition than any Av has been in a long time. This is all anecdotal but are things I've consciously noticed. TV station in Florida does a story on Crosby working out in Naples with interview and footage. At the end they show video of MacKinnon and mention him as well. Zero mention of other stars there such as Duchene or Tavares. THN season preview has MacKinnon story teased on front in 5/8 of the regional covers including all of Canada. MacKinnon on cover of sporting goods catalog in Vancouver. At the Upper Deck rookie shoot this week MacKinnon was on posters all over the event, he's on the trading card wrapper. In that SI story about NHL expansion in Vegas they of all the players in the NHL used his photo. Just a few examples that MacKinnon is very soon going to be a national star if he isn't already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only Av people can think of and mention in conversation.

Now about his expectations, I myself don't like to get into points expectations and all that. I know he can progress and probably will but I don't want to assume anything. As far as this season I'm actually expecting it's injury that holds him back a bit. Playing every single game last year was incredible and it's just luck that will catch up to him. I absolutely think he can be the best player on this team and very soon. Sometimes his contribution to last season's success is a bit underrated, I think he was a big part of the turnaround and he can contribute to an even bigger role now. Does that mean 80, 90, 100 points? I have no idea. All I know is every single time he's on the ice he makes a difference and that's enough for me.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
imune to sophmore slump? Darn it I thought he took all his shots and one was the immunization against that! Seriously he is 18! He could take a year off and still be poised to be one of the greatest players ever! Or he could fail to reach his hype and only be an all star!
This guy is fast, really fast, great hands, strong too. If ever there was a player poised to reach high places in any sport it our madmac! so.. Lets hope he stays healthy and the nhl decides to start calling penalties... then we will see true greatness...

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
To the point OP made about MacKinnon being more universally recognized, this is something I've been noticing myself. Marketing is what I went to school for way too long for so I'm always very aware of how my teams and their players are perceived. This summer I've noticed MacKinnon on a higher level of recognition than any Av has been in a long time. This is all anecdotal but are things I've consciously noticed. TV station in Florida does a story on Crosby working out in Naples with interview and footage. At the end they show video of MacKinnon and mention him as well. Zero mention of other stars there such as Duchene or Tavares. THN season preview has MacKinnon story teased on front in 5/8 of the regional covers including all of Canada. MacKinnon on cover of sporting goods catalog in Vancouver. At the Upper Deck rookie shoot this week MacKinnon was on posters all over the event, he's on the trading card wrapper. In that SI story about NHL expansion in Vegas they of all the players in the NHL used his photo. Just a few examples that MacKinnon is very soon going to be a national star if he isn't already. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only Av people can think of and mention in conversation.

Now about his expectations, I myself don't like to get into points expectations and all that. I know he can progress and probably will but I don't want to assume anything. As far as this season I'm actually expecting it's injury that holds him back a bit. Playing every single game last year was incredible and it's just luck that will catch up to him. I absolutely think he can be the best player on this team and very soon. Sometimes his contribution to last season's success is a bit underrated, I think he was a big part of the turnaround and he can contribute to an even bigger role now. Does that mean 80, 90, 100 points? I have no idea. All I know is every single time he's on the ice he makes a difference and that's enough for me.

Yeah he played nearly 100 games NHL and IIHF combined. To be honest i wasnt crazy about him playing in the Worlds.
He went from Mem. cup to NHL rookie and training camp to preseason to NHL to NHL postseason. Like take a break kid.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
Speaking of anecdotal player marketing observations, I made one of my own at SportChek last night when I was buying skates.

There were 3 huge banners/posters on the wall. Probably 2m high each. The players on the banners were:

Sidney Crosby
Pavel Datsyuk
Gabe Landeskog

AVS1819

Apr 4, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Speaking of anecdotal player marketing observations, I made one of my own at SportChek last night when I was buying skates.

There were 3 huge banners/posters on the wall. Probably 2m high each. The players on the banners were:

Sidney Crosby
Pavel Datsyuk
Gabe Landeskog

Some of the SportChek's also have a giant MacKinnon banner

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Sidney Crosby
Pavel Datsyuk
Gabe Landeskog

Landy is pretty though.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He'll score 40 next season.

40 points? Low, but possible, especially if injured.
40 goals? Lo....l
40 hot chicks at the bar? For a hockey player that's not much.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Forget tempering our expectations when it comes to MacKinnon. I think 35-40 goals is doable as soon as next season.

I wanted them to draft Seth Jones and while he's going to be very good, I'm so glad they went with MacKinnon.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
How ever Mackinnon fairs, I think that the season hinges on his performance. He's the most important player. We know Duchene is going to be PPG. Landeskog will probably get 60-70 points. Mackinnon is the question mark, and if he scores 40 goals then Avs will be a top team next year.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I have enormous expectations for Mac. Which obviously doesn't mean much, I am just a single person. But his vision, physical tools, and need to improve are going to make this kid a special player. His compete and will to get better will keep making him improve. I think he will be Sakic like. Put the team on his back. As Sakic and Roy alluded to when drafting him, every time he is put on a larger stage, he surpasses his previous performances. This kid is going to be a top 5 player in the league. He isn't even 19, just wait until he is 22.

He was very immature last season. Played with a lot of spark, but not all that consistent. When this kid starts putting it together, and we can go with Duchene, then Mackinnon....good luck. IMO Duchene really matured last year. When he jumped over the boards you knew what to expect, and he was much more consistent. Once Mac steadies his game out I think he will be very dominant.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
My brother is the most pessimistic Avs fan (but still huge Avs fan) I've ever met. He's always been down on Duchene and all the other young stars. And the other day he told me he thinks Mackinnon will be the 2nd best player in the league in a couple of years. I've never heard this guy be optimistic before.

I think every player we have will be the best always because I'm a homer....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad