Nathan MacKinnon - Rookie Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
On a seperate not, does anyone know what's happened to Jones?

Since their game on December 5th, he's averaged less than 14 minutes a game (9:29 on the 10th) after averaging monster minutes the majority of the beginning of the season. Is this a reflection of his play or are they starting to just lighten his load as a rookie?

Trotz happened. If you are a young player, and you make a couple mistakes, you are going to be demoted and/or benched. He has the shortest leash of pretty much any coach in the league when it comes to young players. Now if you are established in the NHL, you can make mistakes and not lose your spot because you are a 'proven' commodity.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Trotz happened. If you are a young player, and you make a couple mistakes, you are going to be demoted and/or benched. He has the shortest leash of pretty much any coach in the league when it comes to young players. Now if you are established in the NHL, you can make mistakes and not lose your spot because you are a 'proven' commodity.

along with mike babcock.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
along with mike babcock.

Yep. This is part of why I am so thankful to have Roy. He will let his players play and make some mistakes (and learn from them), but is smart enough to reel the player back during specific moments in games to lessen their negative impact. The perfect example of this was MacKinnon during the early part of the season. Roy let him play and make mistakes, but if it was in the third period in a close game, Roy would shelter him heavily. MacKinnon has learned and gotten better to the point where he is rarely getting sheltered at the moment (helps he is playing wing on the Duchene line).

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
part of that imo, is that he's fresh off juniors.

everyone makes mistakes there. you're going to run on a pretty short roster if you start benching kids bc of mistakes.

that may or may not change in time when avs move closer to contender status.

but that's not relevant now.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Go back to the link I posted about MacKinnon, there is a section in that article about Jones. I wasn't even aware that his ice time dropped so dramatically. I'm sure he'll get more soon but hopefully the "Seth Jones gets 25 minutes a night, he should have been number one!" narrative can die.

If MacKinnon wins the points race he'll absolutely get the Calder. If Jones rebounds in a big way I think he's the only one who could win it on hype and have pure points overlooked. Hertl will be tough to overcome but he had his hot streak and MacKinnon hasn't had his yet. I really just hope MacKinnon is a finalist and we'll see how the points shake out.

Roy has done a great job building MacKinnon's confidence. Letting him know he was already on the team, not pulling any of the we might send you to the World Juniors crap, giving him bigger roles and opportunities when he's proven ready for them but not putting him in situations that would hurt his confidence. Roy said on the radio today that confidence is huge in the game and I think a lot of what Roy does with all the players has a lot to do with confidence.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh, they were overworking Jones and Trotz admitted it wasn't good to do that to an 18-year-old kid, even if he was doing relatively well. Sooner or later Jones was going to hit a wall. That's why his minutes have been reduced.

Trotz does seem to ride some players a bit more than others (see: Smith, Craig, and Wilson, Colin) but I don't think that's the case here.

All that said, the Preds could use a good shakeup. Both GM and coach are much too set in their ways. Not saying clean house, but something drastic has to be done.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Is this a Jones thread or Mack?:p:

SEPH you(and anyone else) were wrong when you said Mack can't play on the wing. He's been equally good on the wing as he has playing center.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Is this a Jones thread or Mack?:p:

SEPH you(and anyone else) were wrong when you said Mack can't play on the wing. He's been equally good on the wing as he has playing center.

I still stand by that he is better at centre than winger.

But I will admit I was wrong to a certain degree. :p:

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
I really liked the Mac assist on the RoR goal. Gives support to Duchene, draws Dubnyk's attention and position with his shot fake, allowing for a 'easy' goal for RoR.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I still stand by that he is better at centre than winger.

But I will admit I was wrong to a certain degree. :p:

Well to be fair, it has been only a hand full of games but so far so good. Long term if Mack continues to excel on the wing who would you move ROR or Mack to center? I'm leaning more towards the former.

PepsiCenterMagic

Food is Great
Jul 17, 2013
I really liked the Mac assist on the RoR goal. Gives support to Duchene, draws Dubnyk's attention and position with his shot fake, allowing for a 'easy' goal for RoR.

That goal was a beauty. I guarantee Central Division opponents are crapping their pants wondering if he is not too good to be true.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not so sure it was a pass and not a missed shot. Not that it matters, either choice was fine from that spot.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Seriously though, was the pass done on purpose? He never once looked at him, and the slow mo seems to show it going off the hell of his stick despite the blade being aimed toward the net.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I want MacKinnom at center long term but right now I like him with Duchene and O'Reilly. He works there better than he did with Stastny and Landy. I like that he's seeing more minutes this way.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't see how it would affect his minutes being 3rd line center. Mitchell has played between 15-20 minutes every game the last month as 3rd line center. He plays PK, but MacKinnon would still get PP time.

I just think he looks better at his natural position.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I want MacK back at center eventually, but until Tanguay gets back there are just not enough linemates to go around. Until then keep him on Duchene's wing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm not so sure it was a pass and not a missed shot. Not that it matters, either choice was fine from that spot.

At first I thought it was a shot which got deflected off the defenders stick or leg then during the replay it shows that MacKinnon's stick nor puck touched the defenseman. It could have been an absolutely terrible shot or an amazing pass, whatever it was, was awesome.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I want MacK back at center eventually, but until Tanguay gets back there are just not enough linemates to go around. Until then keep him on Duchene's wing.

Sounds like Roy wants to keep Mackinnon on Duchene's wing. During the game last night they mentioned that Roy was looking for stability in the lines and wanted the top line to build chemistry. I don't see Tanguay coming back changing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad