Nathan MacKinnon - Rookie Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Anyone who frequents this sub-forum care to comment on how they feel about how he is performning now that we are 10 games in ? Does anyone feel like he could have been better off staying in Junior for one more season?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Raw and inconsistent. He's got a lot to learn about defense. But at the same time you can see that once he figures it out, the tools he has will make him a very good player at the NHL level.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Raw and inconsistent. He's got a lot to learn about defense. But at the same time you can see that once he figures it out, the tools he has will make him a very good player at the NHL level.

Short and to the point, well said.

To add, he has a serious case of his hands not being able to keep up with his feet at the NHL level.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Going to be some growing pains this season and he is going to be brought along slowly. You can see the skills that will make him an elite player soon.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Raw is the exact word I used when talking to a friend today during the game. I think hes taking it all in at the moment and figuring out the NHL game. Regardless of what he does this year, next year will be awesome to see as I think his legs will be a bit more under him if that makes sense.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
He's been great offensively. He just needs to learn that good defense leads to good offense. Once he realizes this and stops getting hemmed in our zone he's going to be a stud.

He's been making some great passes lately and showing some good vision. One thing I really like is his movement in the offensive zone. If you watch him he's always moving his feet trying to shake defenders and create space for himself. He's going to be a special player once he's figures out the defensive side and adjusts to NHL speed.

I think we've all learned from Duchene that we need to show patience with young players.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Very inconsistent. Hes pressing for sure and he has next to no confidence right now. Handling the puck like Scott Parker. he did make a great pass to Tangs tonight that should have been finished by PAP. Growing pains for sure but I have faith he will turn it around much like Duchene did his first season.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Mackinnon is very raw for the NHL game. He has a lot to learn but I feel the NHL is the best place at this point for his development. Mackinnon needs to adapt to the NHL style of play and how to read the game at this level.

With Duchene it was the same questions when he first entered the league. Mackinnon has a lot to learn but you can see the elite talent he has. I will go out on a limb and say that Mackinnon will end up being our best player when he develops.

For how great Duchene looks I can hardly wait and see how Mackinnon develops.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
He's a defensive liability, and I don't notice him too much offensively. He's probably clutching that stick pretty hard. He'll get it figured out soon enough. Glad we're not relying on him to be our first line C.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There hasn't been one game where he didn't have a great scoring chance. I agree with the points that he's learning the defensive system and how to adjust to the NHL game. Once he gets a few more goals under his belt I think he'll relax and get into the flow a little better. I'm still very happy with him and glad he's on the team. He isn't relied on as the savior so whatever he adds is a bonus.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
He started out really hot, but he has looked like a rookie last few games. I think he will find his groove again at some point.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
He has to adjust his positioning IMO. He doesn't anticipate where the puck is going to be properly. He showed improvement this game against Winnipeg with some nice steals and not getting hemmed in his own zone too much. But other than that, his speed and hands and shot are very apparent. He has the tools, as others have said.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
I don't know if its just me, but have you guys noticed the weird release he has when he takes a shot? I noticed it a few times tonight. It's like when a QB uses the pump fake. Not sure if thats good or not, but his shots seemed to be a little off tonight.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think he's made small improvements defensively over the last few games. Give it some time.

He'll be an elite player in a few years. The Avs have the benefit of bringing him along slowly this year.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't know if its just me, but have you guys noticed the weird release he has when he takes a shot? I noticed it a few times tonight. It's like when a QB uses the pump fake. Not sure if thats good or not, but his shots seemed to be a little off tonight.

The cross ice pass through sticks to Tanguay (or was it Mitchell?) was incredible... It's too bad PAP wasn't able to score, that was an amazing play.

As others have said, he's getting good chances every game and as long as he's showing something,
It's impressive at that age.

He's hit a bit of a wall after a great start, I remember it happened with Dutchy his first year as well, but he'll work his way out of it. MacKinnon at game #25 won't even compare to where he's at right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Can I mention how glad I am that we have the forward depth to be so patient with MacKinnon and really make sure he's put in a position to keep growing and making positive steps? What the Stastny and Duchene lines do to take the pressure off of MacK's line is going to be huge in the long run. As he keeps getting more and more solid in his own zone, and starts potting a few goals, I would like to see Tanguay tried in Parenteau's place, he's better defensively than Parenteau even if he isn't the same kind of goal scoring threat.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I agree with Loanwolfe, very surprised by how good his stick handling is. It seems he was completely overshadowed by Drouin in Halifax in this category.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
He's had some rough patches, obviously, being an 18 year old with less junior experience than usual and being younger than everyone as well. He doesn't belong in Junior. He dominated Junior and he wasn't even 18 at the time. He needs to be up here, and with every little setback, just know that he is Nathan MacKinnon. Talked about as having such a high compete level that it compares to Crosby.

Important part is, he flashes glimpses of what he'll be some day, almost every single time he's out there I notice him in one way or another.

I mean, we certainly couldn't fault his effort level and work ethic out there so far, right? His trouble spots come from not fully understanding the nuances of our defensive system, which is definitely coachable.

Flanagan

Registered Loser
Jul 10, 2011
St. John's
He's been underwhelming if you ask me. But not overly bad. Rookie mistakes that any 18 y/o will make.

His speed has been most impressive, but he hasn't had a lot of opportunities to use it. He will improve and he will be great.

NS Bluenoser

Sep 25, 2012
In Halifax, particularly in his first year but still guilty of it early in his 2nd year, he was the same way as you see now. Hands not keeping up with his feet, making a nice play with his speed or stick handling but ending it by firing a blind pass to nobody etc. His high end skill was evident, but sometimes his decision making and reading of the play seemed rushed and sloppy.

But during his 2nd year it came together... he used a speed burst at the right times - not ALL the time as that became predictable. He played with more poise and was much calmer in the zone until it required a big move. Come playoff time he was a force at both ends of the ice. He also focused on faceoffs and was 55% in the season, 60% in playoffs.

He was only 17 2 months ago. You will probably see rapid improvement as the year moves along, and at age 20 or so he will be a scoring regular I`m sure.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I don't have a problem with his play in the offensive end. I've been really happy with the way that he reads the play with the puck on his stick, and I think there is a good chance he will put up a ton of points this year. Defensively. Well, that's another story.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The cross ice pass through sticks to Tanguay (or was it Mitchell?) was incredible... It's too bad PAP wasn't able to score, that was an amazing play.

As others have said, he's getting good chances every game and as long as he's showing something,
It's impressive at that age.

He's hit a bit of a wall after a great start, I remember it happened with Dutchy his first year as well, but he'll work his way out of it. MacKinnon at game #25 won't even compare to where he's at right now.

His passing (in the offensive zone) is outstanding. I didn't expect to see that type of ability this early. Very encouraging sign.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
7 points in 11 games and plus 2 aren't bad numbers for a rookie that gets 3rd line minutes.

Roy said before the season started that they are going to be careful with Mackinnon, and slowly transitioning him into NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad