Nathan MacKinnon - Rookie Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Suddenly his positioning has gotten a lot better. Especially in the Washington and Calgary games. He seems to be falling a lot but I think that is accounted for by some of that puck hunger.

We need Mack firing on all cylinders for the upcoming stretch against top Western teams.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It is scary to think what this team could look like if MacKinnon starts becoming a threat every shift. Sooner or later, things are just going to click for him, and he is going to look dangerous almost every shift.

Going back to Duchene's rookie season, he had 14 points in 28 games through October and November. Then in December, he caught fire with 13 points in 14 games, and closes out the final five months with a total of 41 points in 53 games.

Looking at Landeskog's rookie season, he had 11 points in 25 games through October and November. December hits, and Landeskog puts up 9 points in 15 games. Through the final 5 months of the season, he put up 41 points in the final 57 games.

Give it 10 more games, and I bet MacKinnon starts to look like a completely different player. He could really kick start the team in December, if they start to falter.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
MacKinnon is also shooting 5% right now, he's gotten unlucky on some great chances. When things come together for him and when that luck turns around and the puck starts going in he's going to be on fire.

AvsfanJack

Jun 30, 2013
Windsor
When that puck trickled through the crease last night and he was about half a second too late to push it in I felt so bad for the kid. He was busting his ass out there.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Looking much better lately, he's going to have a monster game soon.

In other news, oh EJ.....

cd0006b45499efb07371994c6e71b749.png

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What do the Avs do with MacKinnon in the near future?

You can see the kid has all kinds of talent, speed, hands everything and he looks like is ready to break out. But he's not gonna do it playing with Talbot and Mitchell.

Having 10 points in 16 games while playing 3rd line is very impressive though, but he needs skilled wingers to really showcase his talent.

He has mainly assists now, but you can see he shoots the puck alot, wants to score goals, and he needs wingers that can pass the puck to him.

So the question is, how long is Mackinnon gonna play with Talbot or Mitchell? Even if Tanguay comes back, McGinn drops down to his line, still not enough IMO.

MacKinnon needs to center the 2nd line in the near future, but how do the Avs manage the center depth? Stastny, Duchene, MacKinnon.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I've said it in a few other threads. Trade for a veteran rental winger with some skill. Get the team three lines deep again.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Looking much better lately, he's going to have a monster game soon.

In other news, oh EJ.....

cd0006b45499efb07371994c6e71b749.png

Hahahah. EJ is so relentless. He just won't stop effing with his teammates. If he wasn't such a good guy he'd be the most annoying person in the world.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What do the Avs do with MacKinnon in the near future?

You can see the kid has all kinds of talent, speed, hands everything and he looks like is ready to break out. But he's not gonna do it playing with Talbot and Mitchell.

Having 10 points in 16 games while playing 3rd line is very impressive though, but he needs skilled wingers to really showcase his talent.

He has mainly assists now, but you can see he shoots the puck alot, wants to score goals, and he needs wingers that can pass the puck to him.

So the question is, how long is Mackinnon gonna play with Talbot or Mitchell? Even if Tanguay comes back, McGinn drops down to his line, still not enough IMO.

MacKinnon needs to center the 2nd line in the near future, but how do the Avs manage the center depth? Stastny, Duchene, MacKinnon.

He ended last night's game on RW with Stastny and Landy. That will probably be a frequent occurrence going forward.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He ended last night's game on RW with Stastny and Landy. That will probably be a frequent occurrence going forward.

I don't know if it's wise to keep moving the kid from center to wing. He's a natural center and should develop at that position. It's ok once in a while i guess, when the team is down a goal or so like last night, move him to the wing to try to tie the game or whatnot, but he's still a center and he's too talented to keep playing on the 3rd line.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea it seemed like after Roy said he needed to be back at center, that would be that basically, but then he has a good shift on the PP with Staz getting the goal, and goes back on RW with him and Landy and starts buzzing around.

To me he only played better because he finally got some talented linemates. Not because he was on RW.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if it's wise to keep moving the kid from center to wing. He's a natural center and should develop at that position. It's ok once in a while i guess, when the team is down a goal or so like last night, move him to the wing to try to tie the game or whatnot, but he's still a center and he's too talented to keep playing on the 3rd line.

He wasn't always playing center on the 3rd line either. Mitchell was taking a lot of the faceoffs and defensive zone responsibilities. His future is at center, but he is being eased into the role, playing RW for bursts allows him to simplify his game which is something he really needs to do at times.

Yea it seemed like after Roy said he needed to be back at center, that would be that basically, but then he has a good shift on the PP with Staz getting the goal, and goes back on RW with him and Landy and starts buzzing around.

To me he only played better because he finally got some talented linemates. Not because he was on RW.

I think it was more about condensing the lines to the best top 6 possible to give the best chance of getting a goal. Let's be honest... a line of Mitchell-MacKinnon-Talbot isn't scaring anybody as a 3rd line.

MacKinnon was on fire last night and deserved more playing time with better linemates. Roy gave him that in really the only way he could. MacKinnon isn't taking away Stastny or Duchene's role in the near future because he simply isn't ready for that role yet.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
To start a game and when leading it makes sense to keep MacKinnon as the third line center. The game against Washington that was the best line and they control the game better when they have three lines to roll out. But in come back situations it makes sense to get him on the ice with more talented players.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He wasn't always playing center on the 3rd line either. Mitchell was taking a lot of the faceoffs and defensive zone responsibilities. His future is at center, but he is being eased into the role, playing RW for bursts allows him to simplify his game which is something he really needs to do at times.

I think it was more about condensing the lines to the best top 6 possible to give the best chance of getting a goal. Let's be honest... a line of Mitchell-MacKinnon-Talbot isn't scaring anybody as a 3rd line.

MacKinnon was on fire last night and deserved more playing time with better linemates. Roy gave him that in really the only way he could. MacKinnon isn't taking away Stastny or Duchene's role in the near future because he simply isn't ready for that role yet.

Pretty sure it was because of the PP goal. He switched up the lines on the next shift. You usually don't see coaches switch up lines after a goal unless they liked what they saw. It was also because they were behind and bing a bit stifled in the neutral zone, but I think he saw a bit of chemistry with him and Staz. Nate just needs a playmaker, this is why Tanguay should have been on his wing to start the season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
To start a game and when leading it makes sense to keep MacKinnon as the third line center. The game against Washington that was the best line and they control the game better when they have three lines to roll out. But in come back situations it makes sense to get him on the ice with more talented players.

This is exactly how I see it. Keep it balanced until you need the goal, then put your best players together.

Pretty sure it was because of the PP goal. He switched up the lines on the next shift. You usually don't see coaches switch up lines after a goal unless they liked what they saw. I think he saw a bit of chemistry with him and Staz. Nate just needs a playmaker, this is why Tanguay should have been on his wing to start the season.

I believe that had a lot to do with it as well. MacKinnon needs linemates that can control the puck and play from time to time. Players that allow him to find some space. When MacKinnon is as hot as he was in the last game, he needs to be put with players that give him a better chance to succeed, Landy and Stastny are much better for him than Mitchell and Talbot are.

Tangs would be a great player to have on a line with MacKinnon.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

MacKinnon only has 3 less points than Stastny playing on the 3rd line. Mac will outscore Stasnty if they switched lines.

In fact, since Stastny is better defensively, he would be a better on the 3rd line shut down role with Talbot.

MacKinnon should center the 2nd line soon.

So when Tanguay returns if I was Roy I would change the 2nd and 3rd lines...

ROR-Duchene-Pap
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
McGinn-Stastny-Talbot

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacKinnon only has 3 less points than Stastny playing on the 3rd line. Mac will outscore Stasnty if they switched lines.

In fact, since Stastny is better defensively, he would be a better on the 3rd line shut down role with Talbot.

MacKinnon should center the 2nd line soon.

MacKinnon in Stastny's current role would be a complete disaster. MacKinnon could be a sheltered 2nd line center, but that completely wastes Landy's skill set. The best line that MacKinnon could currently center is between McGinn and Talbot. When Tangs gets back maybe exchange Talbot with Tangs... but the Landy-Stastny-Tangs line was probably the best line on the team when it was together. It was scoring at a good pace, and was shutting down the other team's top line. Why mess with that?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
MacKinnon in Stastny's current role would be a complete disaster. MacKinnon could be a sheltered 2nd line center, but that completely wastes Landy's skill set. The best line that MacKinnon could currently center is between McGinn and Talbot. When Tangs gets back maybe exchange Talbot with Tangs... but the Landy-Stastny-Tangs line was probably the best line on the team when it was together. It was scoring at a good pace, and was shutting down the other team's top line. Why mess with that?

I agree as far not messing with Stastny line because they did have good chemistry with Tanguay.

But I also think there is a waste of talent keeping Mac on the 3rd line.

It is really a situation where tough decisions have to be made because they didn't draft MacKinnon 1st overall to be their 3rd line center forever.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree as far not messing with Stastny line because they did have good chemistry with Tanguay.

But I also think there is a waste of talent keeping Mac on the 3rd line.

It is really a situation where tough decisions have to be made because they didn't draft MacKinnon 1st overall to be their 3rd line center forever.

MacKinnon won't be the 3rd line center forever. He will pass up Stastny and maybe even Duchene at some point, but that isn't happening this season. If Stastny is retained after this year, it will probably be year 3 for MacKinnon before he is given a ton of responsibility. If Stastny is let go, MacKinnon will have to step up next season. Right now it is best to let him get used to the NHL gradually.

Forcing MacKinnon to play against top 4 defensemen and top 6 lines on a nightly basis is too much for him at this point. There are times he has troubles with 3rd/4th lines and 3rd pairings.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
MacKinnon won't be the 3rd line center forever. He will pass up Stastny and maybe even Duchene at some point, but that isn't happening this season. If Stastny is retained after this year, it will probably be year 3 for MacKinnon before he is given a ton of responsibility. If Stastny is let go, MacKinnon will have to step up next season. Right now it is best to let him get used to the NHL gradually.

Forcing MacKinnon to play against top 4 defensemen and top 6 lines on a nightly basis is too much for him at this point. There are times he has troubles with 3rd/4th lines and 3rd pairings.

Or maybe letting Mac play against top 4 d-men and with skilled linemates game in game out would be better for him.

Maybe we see it differently, but what I see is Mac struggling to do things on his own every time he steps on the ice. He always wants and has the puck, but he doesn't have anyone who can score to pass it to so he struggles trying to do everything by himself.

Yet he still has 10 points. I think he's ready for a 2nd line role. But yeah, I would hate to mess with the chemistry on that line with Stastny.

If Stastny keeps playing the way he's been playing Avs should keep him, but I don't want Mac to play another full year on the 3rd line.

Like a said, tough decisions to be made soon.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think they should move Stastny down the depth chart because he and Duchene have been the Avs best players.

That said I think Nate would make a great line with Landy and Tangs. That line wouldn't have the same role it does with Staz, it would be more offensive and a McGinn-Staz-Talbot line would be the matchup defensive line.

Like I said though you can't mess with Staz right now, he's playing too well. This is where the three center approach is starting to show it's difficulties and Mack hasn't even taken the next step in his development yet. He needs more skilled linemates, and there just aren't enough. Trading Downie and moving PAP off his line just made it worse.

At some point, probably by at at least next season, Nate will have to take over that role in between guys like Landy and Tangs. There's just no other way to do it. They can't leave him on a line with muckers like McGinn and Talbot. WHo knows how that will effect Stastny's production. That's the dilema.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad