Nathan Horton ("Career could be over")

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I feel really bad for him. The agony for him is compounded in so many ways. Get well Nathan.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
But also make sure you use this thread to take potshots at the GM since he should have known this, even though nobody anywhere else knew this about this player at the time that we signed him. :shakehead
I certainly hope I'm correct in my belief that you're not actually accusing me of doing such. Those are the sorts of people I tend to set on fire. :)

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
As someone with similar back issues... I really feel for the guy. It's not fun pain to deal with, nor can I imagine the emotional pain he is dealing with too. In any case, I wish the best for him and hope he gets well soon, one way or another.

In the event that nothing changes for him... I'd love to see him stay with the team in some capacity. Maybe as a commentator on the radio or TV.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I certainly hope I'm correct in my belief that you're not actually accusing me of doing such. Those are the sorts of people I tend to set on fire. :)

Of course not! I'm just sick of the kinds of posts I was talking about.

So and so is injured... FIRE JK!

So and so is injured... JK should've seen it coming! FIRE JK!

So and so has a debilitating back injury likely to end his career... JK should've known! FIRE JK!!!

Fire the fans.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Of course not! I'm just sick of the kinds of posts I was talking about.

So and so is injured... FIRE JK!

So and so is injured... JK should've seen it coming! FIRE JK!

So and so has a debilitating back injury likely to end his career... JK should've known! FIRE JK!!!

Fire the fans.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Ok but is that a degeneration of the disc? Is it shown in x rays?

I highly doubt it would show up in x-rays.. However, Degenerative Disc Disease does show up in MRI's. I'd imagine they did an MRI before signing him (At least I certainly freaking hope so). The article Portzline wrote was saying it started flaring up last fall. This is where I get confused. Did he over the course of 5 months develop/furthur aggrevate degenerative disc disease, while rehabbing the shoulder? Did it not show up on the scan or was it misread? (I work as a nurse, and I've seen Dr.'s question what they have seen on some of the scans they've done due to the many limitations, but I've never seen any questions raised about Degenerative Disc in the 5 or 6 time's I've read dictations)

Either way, I hope Nathan Horton can have a happy life after hockey with minimal pain after surgery.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I highly doubt it would show up in x-rays.. However, Degenerative Disc Disease does show up in MRI's. I'd imagine they did an MRI before signing him (At least I certainly freaking hope so). The article Portzline wrote was saying it started flaring up last fall. This is where I get confused. Did he over the course of 5 months develop/furthur aggrevate degenerative disc disease, while rehabbing the shoulder? Did it not show up on the scan or was it misread? (I work as a nurse, and I've seen Dr.'s question what they have seen on some of the scans they've done due to the many limitations, but I've never seen any questions raised about Degenerative Disc in the 5 or 6 time's I've read dictations)

Either way, I hope Nathan Horton can have a happy life after hockey with minimal pain after surgery.
Ok because I've the same life as Nathan now. I got injured and i.can't bend,sit or stand I've done scans and mri and nothing was detected. They told me it might be muscles or low back strain so i was wondering if it was a disk problem

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Sometimes the worst thing is having the choice. You sometimes want there to be no other option, it takes the decision away from you, and also the burden of having to make that choice. Although it sounds like he's at that point, if his nerves are being compressed, nothing is going to relieve it other then surgery....and even then, its not a guarantee. Its a dark place once you realize youre disabled, ive been there. I was resigned to surgery on my last dealing with it, fortunate for me the steroid shot did the trick, but had it not I was prepared for surgery. When I first dealt with it, my friend and I had tried putting together our own team for about 3 years, we finally got one together and there was no way i could play, I didnt play for another 6 months. I would go to watch the games once in a while, but it just made it more depressing. But he's going to have to have it if there has been no improvements since April. One comment I read that didnt sit too well is he doesnt want to retire:
"If Horton can no longer play, he couldn't retire either, at least not officially. If he did, the cap recapture penalties would significantly impact the Blue Jackets and Horton wouldn't receive the money he is owed after signing the contract last fall. He could be placed on long-term injured reserve each year to keep his $5.3 million annual average salary off of the cap, but he'd still get paid."

With all due respect, you shouldnt get paid for the remainder of his contract if he cant play....it seems like the Pronger deal where we know he's never going to play again for about the last 4 years, but he hasnt retired and is still getting paid even though he hasnt played in in 4 years. Not trying to be in passionate for him, but youre not earning the contract. How does it count against the cap if he retires vs long term IR? Sounds like that rule needs to be revised for situations such as this. Insurance will pay you for what you cant play, but he shouldnt be getting $5m a year for the next 5 years if he never plays again. But then, who woulndt want that deal?
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-horton-enduring-living-hell-with-back-injury

I certainly dont envy him, but can relate to him. I know I will probably eventually need surgery, but im able to live right now. 8 days of being bed ridden was enough for me to be ready for surgery, I cant imagine going through that level of pain for that long. Its a tough decision to make, but there is life after hockey....he's made some good money and hopefully he was smart enough to stash a good amount of it away.

Sometimes I have the hardest time making big decisions. I can't imagine how difficult it must be with this one staring you down. Poor guy.

That said, NHL contracts are guaranteed.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Ok because I've the same life as Nathan now. I got injured and i.can't bend,sit or stand I've done scans and mri and nothing was detected. They told me it might be muscles or low back strain so i was wondering if it was a disk problem

A disc problem may or may not show up with an MRI.

If it's muscular, try this. When you sleep, position on your back with pillows under your knees. It will alleviate pressure while you sleep, giving you a few hours of relaxation. I've strained my lower back a couple of times, and this usually helps clear things up in 5-7 days.

(Not a guarantee, and not to be confused with actual medical advice from a trained professional)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad