Nathan Horton ("Career could be over")

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That truly is sad.

Yeah, I really feel for the guy. He really wanted to be part of this franchise. It also explains the situation last season in which he wasn't playing up to par - we saw his play slowly get worse.

I think we need to think about these kind of things when we judge players.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I didn't see the link from the Dispatch today in this thread.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/13/1113-blue-jackets-horton.html

Sounds like if he has surgery he's done. That explains why he hasn't done it. Poor guy, sounds like he's done. I feel really bad for him, but at the same time... Man the Jackets can't catch a break.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. He needs to do what he needs to do to have a life going forward. As much as it bums me out as a fan, being able to play with his kids is more important than being able to play hockey (especially when he should be set financially). Have the surgery Nate. Hang 'em up. Then I'm sure we'll find a spot for him in the organ-eye-zation if he's interested.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Sad as the situation is, I think it is over for the guy. Truly such a likable figure, it is a shame things didn't work out for him. No matter what happens going forward, Horton is a guy I wish nothing but the best for in life.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Yeah, I really feel for the guy. He really wanted to be part of this franchise. It also explains the situation last season in which he wasn't playing up to par - we saw his play slowly get worse.

I think we need to think about these kind of things when we judge players.

amen. I think we all knew something was up with him and he didn't look right. I remember several comments along those lines from some of the more reasonable posters. I'm sure when the groin issue came up (I remember hearing it was a hernia?) most everyone thought "well, there you go, that's why" - who knew he was already dealing with this.

Devastating. I wish nothing but the best for the guy, and hope he can find the courage to make the decision he doesn't want to make sooner than later.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Just going to leave this here, one of my favorite Nathan Horton memories with the CBJ. I remember my jaw dropping on this one as I got up to cheer.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I am really sad about this. :( Crazy how attached we can get to these guys lol. I've never met the guy but my heart is just crushed for him.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
For all the complaining we do about the team this year, the one thing that really matters is Nathan ( and all of the players) health and wellbeing. I not only pray that his back heals but also that this organization finds a spot for him in some capacity so that he is a Jacket for life

Get well soon Nathan!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I am really sad about this. :( Crazy how attached we can get to these guys lol. I've never met the guy but my heart is just crushed for him.

My girlfriend and I had the pleasure of meeting him when he first came to Columbus. One of the nicest athletes I have ever met. Like everyone says, he couldn't stop smiling. So genuine. Get better Horts.:(

silver89

Nov 25, 2013
Sweden
Man, I almost dropped a few tears reading this.:(
If there is any justice the hockey gods will give us a miracle.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
For all the complaining we do about the team this year, the one thing that really matters is Nathan ( and all of the players) health and wellbeing. I not only pray that his back heals but also that this organization finds a spot for him in some capacity so that he is a Jacket for life

Get well soon Nathan!

I've met him, as everyone says he's a great guy and I too wish him health.... as far as the CBJ go though, I wish we had signed a veteran who didn't have a chronic degenerative back issue..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
He must be devastated. Like many of you, I am a little bit and I don't even know the guy. As a fan, sure, but moreso for a person in his circumstance.

Once or twice a week, Horton stops by Nationwide Arena. But he has no locker stall in the dressing room, no uniform hanging with his name on it, no new sticks being delivered or skates being sharpened.
“I’m a ghost,†he said with a laugh.

This is rough. I'm not saying the organization screwed up, not at all, but moving forward I think they need to be working with him to help him feel part of it, somehow. I know he doesn't want and office or a desk, but tell him there will be one for him if he wants it, once he's rehabbed from the surgery (presuming that's how this goes). I know there's always that sentiment of wanting to keep a retiring player with the organization, but in this case, you'd be honoring the player's decision to come here, allowing his family to continue to establish roots (not that they couldn't otherwise) and perhaps easing the sting of a career cut short just a little.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
I didn't see the link from the Dispatch today in this thread.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2014/11/13/1113-blue-jackets-horton.html

Sounds like if he has surgery he's done. That explains why he hasn't done it. Poor guy, sounds like he's done. I feel really bad for him, but at the same time... Man the Jackets can't catch a break.

At this point though...Horton might seriously consider having to hang up the skates, just to gain some quality of life back. It is one thing to be injured...but to lose basic independence in life is quite another. As for the Blue Jackets, I have to believe that they are resigned to the fact that Horton has played his last NHL shift (and let insurance cover most of his deal).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Wow, so bad luck. It doesn't look good, but hopefully he makes full recovery! Sometimes it's easy to forget players are humans as well. :(

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I've met him, as everyone says he's a great guy and I too wish him health.... as far as the CBJ go though, I wish we had signed a veteran who didn't have a chronic degenerative back issue..

Yeah because they totally knew of this when signing him.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I've got to imagine he's hurting just as much mentally as he is physically right now. He's lost his ability to sleep, to play with his kids, to simply enjoy life. He's lost his ability to play the game that he dedicated probably 80%+ of his life to. He's lost the capacity to fulfill his contractual obligations to the club that he so eagerly joined and the city that he fell in love with.

It's a real damn shame and it's a very saddening thing to watch unfold like this over the past few months. Hoping he can stay involved in Columbus hockey in whatever way possible (player, coach, scout.. and not necessarily at the NHL level). Think he could do a lot for youth hockey in Columbus if that's something he is/would become interested in.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
I caught the Portzline piece this morning....man, what a tough read.

I met Horts once at an event after the Cup win; just a genuinely nice guy, took a couple minutes to answer a question of mine and pose with my kids for a picture. I like the direction your club's been heading the last few years and thought the Horton acquisition was perfect for what you're trying to build...both with what he could provide on the ice with his play as well as a leader who's just genuinely a good dude. I am bummed that couldn't come to fruition for you folks. He really is one of hockey's good guys.

Good luck to Nasty Nate. Tough decision for sure for him.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Sometimes the worst thing is having the choice. You sometimes want there to be no other option, it takes the decision away from you, and also the burden of having to make that choice. Although it sounds like he's at that point, if his nerves are being compressed, nothing is going to relieve it other then surgery....and even then, its not a guarantee. Its a dark place once you realize youre disabled, ive been there. I was resigned to surgery on my last dealing with it, fortunate for me the steroid shot did the trick, but had it not I was prepared for surgery. When I first dealt with it, my friend and I had tried putting together our own team for about 3 years, we finally got one together and there was no way i could play, I didnt play for another 6 months. I would go to watch the games once in a while, but it just made it more depressing. But he's going to have to have it if there has been no improvements since April. One comment I read that didnt sit too well is he doesnt want to retire:
"If Horton can no longer play, he couldn't retire either, at least not officially. If he did, the cap recapture penalties would significantly impact the Blue Jackets and Horton wouldn't receive the money he is owed after signing the contract last fall. He could be placed on long-term injured reserve each year to keep his $5.3 million annual average salary off of the cap, but he'd still get paid."

With all due respect, you shouldnt get paid for the remainder of his contract if he cant play....it seems like the Pronger deal where we know he's never going to play again for about the last 4 years, but he hasnt retired and is still getting paid even though he hasnt played in in 4 years. Not trying to be in passionate for him, but youre not earning the contract. How does it count against the cap if he retires vs long term IR? Sounds like that rule needs to be revised for situations such as this. Insurance will pay you for what you cant play, but he shouldnt be getting $5m a year for the next 5 years if he never plays again. But then, who woulndt want that deal?
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-horton-enduring-living-hell-with-back-injury

I certainly dont envy him, but can relate to him. I know I will probably eventually need surgery, but im able to live right now. 8 days of being bed ridden was enough for me to be ready for surgery, I cant imagine going through that level of pain for that long. Its a tough decision to make, but there is life after hockey....he's made some good money and hopefully he was smart enough to stash a good amount of it away.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
terrible news...read it last night and still feel really bad for him...that article was just sheer raw emotion...

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
:(

Whatever he decides, this fanbase and organization had better support him.

Sucks. :(

But also make sure you use this thread to take potshots at the GM since he should have known this, even though nobody anywhere else knew this about this player at the time that we signed him. :shakehead

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
One comment I read that didnt sit too well is he doesnt want to retire:
"If Horton can no longer play, he couldn't retire either, at least not officially. If he did, the cap recapture penalties would significantly impact the Blue Jackets and Horton wouldn't receive the money he is owed after signing the contract last fall. He could be placed on long-term injured reserve each year to keep his $5.3 million annual average salary off of the cap, but he'd still get paid."

With all due respect, you shouldnt get paid for the remainder of his contract if he cant play....it seems like the Pronger deal where we know he's never going to play again for about the last 4 years, but he hasnt retired and is still getting paid even though he hasnt played in in 4 years. Not trying to be in passionate for him, but youre not earning the contract. How does it count against the cap if he retires vs long term IR? Sounds like that rule needs to be revised for situations such as this. Insurance will pay you for what you cant play, but he shouldnt be getting $5m a year for the next 5 years if he never plays again. But then, who woulndt want that deal?
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...-horton-enduring-living-hell-with-back-injury

Horton's contract is protected by an insurance policy so the plan will likely be that he sits on LTIR until his contract expires, then he'll formally retire. At that point, Nationwide Insurance cuts a check and all parties move on from this mess.

I know this franchise has a very "clown college" origin, but they did the smart thing this time by insuring a UFA with a history of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad