Nathan Horton ("Career could be over")

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Hi y'all

Well basically I've lurked these forums for a little while now, and have finally decided to join.

On to my question: Do you think Horton should be scratched for a game or two, be paired with different linemates, or what?
Obviously he is capable of more than the 4 goals and 12 assists produced in 32 games.
I love Horton's attitude about the team, and was very excited when he chose to come here, but his lack of production, and quite frankly his effort too ( or lack of ) has been extremely disappointing. Most nights I don't even notice him. Except for when he takes a dumb overaggressive offensive zone penalty.

Personally, I'd love to see Cam on Joey's right wing. I think they're our two most offensively talented forwards.
As for Horton, I'd like to see him with Artie and Dubi since they were so effective in Horton's first game as a Jacket.

What are you guys' thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i think there are a few around here that think him sitting would be a good thing...we have seen him be too tentative with the shoulder and at times has become a detriment...We need Horton to be the player we brought him in to be if we will be successful in the playoffs...

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I'd be content with him skating down a line, or away from Jenner and Johansen. Sometimes it seems like he's dragging those two down.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm still a believer in Horts and just think he's in a tough stretch and getting used to his shoulder and still adjusting to the system, but there is no doubts his production and his effort hasn't been up to par with what's expected. Hopefully he turns the corner for these last 10 games.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Your ride Horton and hope he gets his game going.

Anything else is just silly.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think missing camp really hurt. He's had a lot of time to adjust but that was major surgery and it was said he probably needs a year to really be back. I think you continue to play him but maybe limit his ice time and put him lower in the lineup. I can see the wheels turning but his timing and effort simply isn't connected right now.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
He's a boat anchor for Johansen. I feel like RyJo would have a bunch more points with RJ and Foligno. Horton ain't cuttin it.

Horton floats at the blue line when we have the puck possessed in the offensive zone. All the other forwards are battling or trying to get setup for a pass/shot and Horton just floats. He's worse than Gaborik in this regard.

I have seen him put a few decent shots on net, but there seems to be no fight from him. I know he's supposed to be some playoff phenom, but there are several players on this team ahead of him on the depth chart as I see it.

I don't know if he's truly hurt or what, but he needs to be with lesser players at this point or on the bench.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
He's here for the long term. He is not producing. He can't be scratched for a variety of reasons. I agree he is pulling down his line. I'd keep the Dubi line together; put the original Ryjo line with Umberger and Foligno back together and play Horton with Jenner and Anismov. Keep the fourth line intact.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hi y'all

Well basically I've lurked these forums for a little while now, and have finally decided to join.

On to my question: Do you think Horton should be scratched for a game or two, be paired with different linemates, or what?
Obviously he is capable of more than the 4 goals and 12 assists produced in 32 games.
I love Horton's attitude about the team, and was very excited when he chose to come here, but his lack of production, and quite frankly his effort too ( or lack of ) has been extremely disappointing. Most nights I don't even notice him. Except for when he takes a dumb overaggressive offensive zone penalty.

Personally, I'd love to see Cam on Joey's right wing. I think they're our two most offensively talented forwards.
As for Horton, I'd like to see him with Artie and Dubi since they were so effective in Horton's first game as a Jacket.

What are you guys' thoughts?
#1 - welcome to the forum. :)

#2 - I'd rather consider demoting him instead of benching. He's been known to go through these sorts of slumps before; that was something we knew (or should have known) when we signed him.

bizzz*

I would rather had Gaborik in the line-up than Horton. Gabby creates space and makes plays, Horton is just floating around too much.
I mean yeah, I just said that Horton is a bigger floater than Gabby. Hope that will change.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Him sitting would be a good thing if we weren't in such an important stretch.

He's like Umberger but a couple of years younger. I'm fine with that as long as we are realistic about our expectations of him. 20-30 goals per season, physical play, and beasting during the playoffs would be ideal.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
He's a boat anchor for Johansen. I feel like RyJo would have a bunch more points with RJ and Foligno. Horton ain't cuttin it.

Horton floats at the blue line when we have the puck possessed in the offensive zone. All the other forwards are battling or trying to get setup for a pass/shot and Horton just floats. He's worse than Gaborik in this regard.

I have seen him put a few decent shots on net, but there seems to be no fight from him. I know he's supposed to be some playoff phenom, but there are several players on this team ahead of him on the depth chart as I see it.

I don't know if he's truly hurt or what, but he needs to be with lesser players at this point or on the bench.

You seem to find a way to fit 'boat anchor' into every post, I bet your eyes went wide at the chance to do it in an official Horton thread. ;)

IMO, he's playing like a guy who's not up to the level he's used to physically. I don't think he's hurt - it's more the result of only being able to rehab and not work on strength. I suppose it's also difficult to be aggressive physically as well. As a result, he's a tentative player that lacks confidence. Clearly the coaching staff has made the decision to let him fight through it, hoping that he'll catch fire like he tends to do this time of year. I wouldn't mind seeing him change lines, but I don't know if it's a great idea to put him down where he should be supplying energy and hitting.

I don't think sitting him is going to happen, but I could get into the idea of giving him a game off and getting Boll back in, if for no other reason than the jolt it may provide. OTOH, I could see that possibly killing his confidence further...which is the opposite of what we need.

In other words, I agree he's not getting it done, but I'm at a loss on what the 'right' answer is...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
There's something wrong with Horton, I don't know what it is but his play isn't just sub par its abnormally sub par. He's definitely hurting us right now, so the fact that these are important games makes me want to scratch him even more. And if it gives him a wake up call in the process that's great.

And take him off Joey's line. You can't pair your best goal scorer with a guy who can't maintain possession.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Your ride Horton and hope he gets his game going.

Anything else is just silly.

This, if he gets going...it wouldn't just be making the playoffs but more likely a 1st round series win regardless of who we play.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think to make any real judgement on Horton we need to wait till next season. That being said if he were to sit a game or two or get moved down in the lineup I don't think it would hurt and might even help both him and the top line.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
You seem to find a way to fit 'boat anchor' into every post, I bet your eyes went wide at the chance to do it in an official Horton thread. ;)

IMO, he's playing like a guy who's not up to the level he's used to physically. I don't think he's hurt - it's more the result of only being able to rehab and not work on strength. I suppose it's also difficult to be aggressive physically as well. As a result, he's a tentative player that lacks confidence. Clearly the coaching staff has made the decision to let him fight through it, hoping that he'll catch fire like he tends to do this time of year. I wouldn't mind seeing him change lines, but I don't know if it's a great idea to put him down where he should be supplying energy and hitting.

I don't think sitting him is going to happen, but I could get into the idea of giving him a game off and getting Boll back in, if for no other reason than the jolt it may provide. OTOH, I could see that possibly killing his confidence further...which is the opposite of what we need.

In other words, I agree he's not getting it done, but I'm at a loss on what the 'right' answer is...

It's not meant to be derogatory on Horton, it is what it is right now. I feel like RyJo is on an island on that line and not getting a whole lot of help. We're all looking for more and none of us have the answer.

I just posted some observations wrt floating. We need goals where they're fighting so hard and with so many numbers in front of the net that we don't know who scores it until we see a replay. That's Jackets hockey.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Horton's had more than his chance.....guy's playing much better have been healthy scratches

No reason He is on the ice, NONE....He's killing our top line, I'd bet We have 3 or 4 guys not even with the team who could help more than him.

Skille showed He can play at this level, no idea why He didn't more of a chance. He'll get 20 goals for Philadelphia next year probably

scoob4093

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2003
Springfield Ma.
Visit site
Horton's had more than his chance.....guy's playing much better have been healthy scratches

No reason He is on the ice, NONE....He's killing our top line, I'd bet We have 3 or 4 guys not even with the team who could help more than him.

Skille showed He can play at this level, no idea why He didn't more of a chance. He'll get 20 goals for Philadelphia next year probably

Skille hasn't played in the last 3 weeks with a lower body injury. He's been hurt 3 separate times since he was originally assigned here.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What do folks think about the theory that Horton's got a non-shoulder injury he's trying to fight through? It makes more sense to me, because he looks uncomfortable just skating.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What do folks think about the theory that Horton's got a non-shoulder injury he's trying to fight through? It makes more sense to me, because he looks uncomfortable just skating.
Given all the 'maintenance' days, I wouldn't discount it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad