Waived: Nathan Gerbe (regular NOT compliance buyout, Canes 2-way deal)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Could this free up a bottom-six wing spot for Larsson so that the team can still add a veteran like Gordon to take on the third-line center role? Thereby easing Larsson into tougher minutes?

Ennis-Hodgson-Vanek
Leino-Grigorenko-Ott
Larsson-Gordon-Stafford
Foligno-Porter-Flynn

Last edited:

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Per McKenzie:

If u care, unconditional ($100) waivers required to buy out players but can also be used if player/club mutually agree to terminate contact.

that's what he's on.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I know this isn't a popular stance, but I really liked Gerbe. I know he had a down year and all, but I was definitely hoping they would give him this season to see how/if he would rebound. I understand the cap is going down, but it's just a shame that he was one of the cap-casualties.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I know this isn't a popular stance, but I really liked Gerbe. I know he had a down year and all, but I was definitely hoping they would give him this season to see how/if he would rebound. I understand the cap is going down, but it's just a shame that he was one of the cap-casualties.

I understand the appreciation for a player that gives it all, but unfortunately Gerbe's all still left him easily rubbed out along the boards and a possession liability. On top of that, he couldn't physically be effective near the slot/net and produce scoring chances. Today's NHL game leaves him without a job.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This isnt a compliance...Gerbe doesnt make enough money for that.

[...]
For the compliance to work he needs to may $2.75M

This is incorrect. There's no lower limit on how much a player makes to be eligible for a compliance buyout. That only applied to the accelerated compliance buyouts that took place prior to last season for Redden and Gomez.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

He wasnt as much of a cap casualty as the issue was roster spaces and who still have options left.

the issue last year was not having the flexibility to send players down without sending them through waivers.

In looking at a forward lineup (assuming no trades):

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigs-Armia
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Foligno-Porter-Flynn
Scott, Kaleta, Adam, Tropp

Gerbe didnt have a shot. Release him now where he can get onto another team...instead of late September where he has no shot.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
i expected him to be waived all along... but kind of surprised they are getting rid of him in total. I thought he'd go to Rochester...

did they give him a choice?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i expected him to be waived all along... but kind of surprised they are getting rid of him in total. I thought he'd go to Rochester...

did they give him a choice?

Or is this a case of them offering him around the league and finding no takers, so they give him the chance to start fresh somewhere else?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is incorrect. There's no lower limit on how much a player makes to be eligible for a compliance buyout. That only applied to the accelerated compliance buyouts that took place prior to last season for Redden and Gomez.

site the rule---from what I have read in the CBA...compliance buyouts only apply to players making $2.75M or more.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Good. Similar to another guuy named Ellis, Gerbe is a good guy and all. But when paying NHL ticket prices he leaves you wanting.
Good luck Nate wherever you end up.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Or is this a case of them offering him around the league and finding no takers, so they give him the chance to start fresh somewhere else?

that's exactly what the indication is....
but like you, i thought he would've had some value in Rochester

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This looks like a move to make a roster spot more than a salary issue.

Either that or its to make the team trips to Six Flags a little less awkward when they get in line to ride the roller coasters.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I really like Gerbe too, he's one of my favorite players in the league...but I totally see the Sabres point that he isn't working out and it's time to move on. I really hope he makes it to Rochester and wins the AHL MVP while still collecting his big-league salary.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
He wasnt as much of a cap casualty as the issue was roster spaces and who still have options left.

the issue last year was not having the flexibility to send players down without sending them through waivers.

In looking at a forward lineup (assuming no trades):

Vanek-Hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigs-Armia
Ennis-Larsson-Stafford
Foligno-Porter-Flynn
Scott, Kaleta, Adam, Tropp

Gerbe didnt have a shot. Release him now where he can get onto another team...instead of late September where he has no shot.

Agreed. I am happy though that they released him early so that he'll have a shot somewhere hopefully. It was just a little difficult to see a guy get bought-out who gave so much effort, when you've got guys with more size and talent, coasting through games. I think the buy-out was the right move to make, just a difficult one for a fan who appreciates hard-work.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
I understand the appreciation for a player that gives it all, but unfortunately Gerbe's all still left him easily rubbed out along the boards and a possession liability. On top of that, he couldn't physically be effective near the slot/net and produce scoring chances. Today's NHL game leaves him without a job.

Agreed. Ever since his injury, he just hasn't been the same player, which was the only way he was going to make it in the league long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad