Nathan Beaulieu

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I think all year he was ranked second dman, no?

And I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't actually first in some rankings.

From what I remember he was. A few lists had him real high.
Really surprised he's been this solid so far. His ceiling does look really high.

Some things he was trying against Buffalo could get him in big trouble against other teams but I think the game was pretty out of reach by that point.

Somebody else a few days ago on here said that his shortcomings seemed to have been exaggerated. So far it seems to be the case. He doesn't look to be a liability in any areas just as yet but we'll see. I can still see him having an awful game where we all start wondering if he's another MAB.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Dunno about you guys, but he definitely looks bigger and beefier than I first thought (maybe a product of playing with Bouillon?) :laugh:

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
I can't wait to see this guy develop more as his playing time increases...few players on the team make as crisp and fast passes as he does, and he is absolutely a better skater than PK (easily one of our best). Seems less solid defensively than PK, but what I want to see is his offensive side flourish more.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Meh, that should be the last on the list of priorities when coming to play hockey in Montreal.

I wish players didn't feel pressured to make such statements.

When your father is French-Canadian, it makes sense to want to solidify one's roots.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
Who cares if he speaks french or not?

I certainly don't, but a lot of people do... they want to feel the players have some sort of attachment to the city, and the most "obvious" way is by learning the language, according to them...

Personally, I think it's cool if players do learn french. But I don't mind if they don't.

Rscorpio

Epic Meal Time!
Feb 9, 2004
Santiago, Chile
I certainly don't, but a lot of people do... they want to feel the players have some sort of attachment to the city, and the most "obvious" way is by learning the language, according to them...

Personally, I think it's cool if players do learn french. But I don't mind if they don't.

This...

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
I'm happy that Beaulieu is getting the props he deserves. One thing that always was said about Nathan while he was in juior was that he was very coachable. Having Gerard Gallant behind the Habs bench can only help his development.

It used to mildly annoy me that alot of posters would casually include Beaulieu in trade ideas and imply (or state more explicitly) that he wasn't going to meet the expectations of a first rounder. I typically chalked that up to people not having had enough of a chance to see him and just going by a game here or there (eg World Juniors) or other second or third hand accounts.

This is by no means meant as an 'I told you so' post. Simply very pleased that the fan base (at least on HF Boards) is starting to see Beaulieu for what he can be.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
I'm happy that Beaulieu is getting the props he deserves. One thing that always was said about Nathan while he was in juior was that he was very coachable. Having Gerard Gallant behind the Habs bench can only help his development.

It used to mildly annoy me that alot of posters would casually include Beaulieu in trade ideas and imply (or state more explicitly) that he wasn't going to meet the expectations of a first rounder. I typically chalked that up to people not having had enough of a chance to see him and just going by a game here or there (eg World Juniors) or other second or third hand accounts.

This is by no means meant as an 'I told you so' post. Simply very pleased that the fan base (at least on HF Boards) is starting to see Beaulieu for what he can be.

Kinda like how Leblanc is included in every trade right now

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Who cares if he speaks french or not?

Who gives a F if he learns French. It doesn't help him play defense.

Many people care. Plus, if he learns French it will be easier to speak directly to his fans, easier to enjoy the city of Montreal, and it shows respect for the team's tradition and his environment. If I moved to Sweden to work in English I would still want to learn Swedish. Plus his Dad is a francophone, many young people learn their parents' language to explore their roots. I see no need for negativity here, can't we be positive about what he said?

Rikiki Bousquet

Oct 3, 2012

Exactly.

While it's not Necessary to do it, and the majority here seems to think like this, I don't know how some of you seem to find it completely irrelevant to do it.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
If I moved to a city that had more than one official language (and let's be honest, Montreal is still predominantly French despite having some very English areas), I'd try to learn them. Just something about being able to interact with the locals is important. This coming from an immigrant (whose family is mostly fluent in both languages, however primarily English).

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Many people care. Plus, if he learns French it will be easier to speak directly to his fans, easier to enjoy the city of Montreal, and it shows respect for the team's tradition and his environment. If I moved to Sweden to work in English I would still want to learn Swedish. Plus his Dad is a francophone, many young people learn their parents' language to explore their roots. I see no need for negativity here, can't we be positive about what he said?

Ok I understand your point. But the poster that I quoted implied that he was disappointed that Beaulieu still doesn't speak a word of french, two years after he said "Don't worry I'll learn french".

The priority right now is not to learn french, it's to play hockey and develop as a good hockey player.

The best way to show loyalty to the team is to play hard and stay with the team. Our most loyal players, Plekanec and Markov, probably don't speak french but that doesn't mean they don't respect the organization.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

The wording could be interpreted as if he was saying Beaulieu is a great player despite not learning French - like it was some sort of detriment to his value as a player.

He's a 20 year old kid playing pro sports, 'learning' and relevant homework might not be a forte if you know what I mean. :laugh:

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
From what I remember he was. A few lists had him real high.
Really surprised he's been this solid so far. His ceiling does look really high.

Some things he was trying against Buffalo could get him in big trouble against other teams but I think the game was pretty out of reach by that point.

Somebody else a few days ago on here said that his shortcomings seemed to have been exaggerated. So far it seems to be the case. He doesn't look to be a liability in any areas just as yet but we'll see. I can still see him having an awful game where we all start wondering if he's another MAB.
He was 11th on TSN list
9th among NA Skaters.
12th on TheHockeyWriter
16th on the scouting report
and 8th with Corey Pronman.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I can't wait to see this guy develop more as his playing time increases...few players on the team make as crisp and fast passes as he does, and he is absolutely a better skater than PK (easily one of our best). Seems less solid defensively than PK, but what I want to see is his offensive side flourish more.

I have to disagree on the skating comment. Nobody skates with the puck better than Subban. I can think of once this year where someone stripped him of the puck when he was coming out of the zone. He protects the puck so well and does it with speed. Beaulieu is a smooth skater, but I wouldn't say "absolutley better than PK".An argument could be made "without the puck", but with the puck? PK ALL THE WAY (at least so far as I've seen). If Beaulieu does turn out to be better, we will be laughing for years to come!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad