Nathan Beaulieu

Halifaxhab*

What I hope is that the Habs keep it up with letting Beaulieu and Tinordi develop in the AHL for next season. Well, unless we don't sign another D and it becomes unavoidable that we need somebody up full-time. But even though IMHO they've both shown they can "do okay"/"get by"/"look pretty good at times" in the NHL, I'd still aim for letting them fully ripen in the AHL with another season each. They will still get call-up chances like this year. But if we can go Subban-Gorges-Markov-Emelin-Bouillon-Diaz-UFA(Drewiske?) next season as the default out of the gate, then there's no need for these awesome young guys to start out with anything but 25-minute top duty in Hamilton.

I'm not sure the team would ideally want to start 2014-15 with both as rookies in the regular lineup, though. But then, both will presumably have had frequent cameos and injury-replacement duty with the Habs, so maybe it won't seem like such a big deal.

I don't want any of them frequently scratched or just around as extras, though. Keep the bluechip prospects playing.

I'd rather just keep Weber as the healthy scratch emergency replacement during a road trip guy. Leaving Tinordi, Beaulieu and others to be playing heavy minutes and called up when you know they will see ice time.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
The fun thing about having two prospects like Tinordi and Beaulieu on blue line is they're polar opposite in what they're good at

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
He will take some time to polish out. I think that he will be a regular in 2-3 years and will slowly develop and peek in his late twenties early thirties.

I also hope he fills out more and works out a lot in the gym to add muscle. We don't need to watch some 6'6" guy getting pounded. It's discouraging to watch.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Even in the depths of despair some posters expressed, we took it for granted that the future Habs Dmen would be fine. The goaltending is already set. Bergevin will surely devote much of his attention to upgrading the forward lines. They're already good, although not up to the standards of the Penguins or some West teams. Why didn't I mention the Bruins? Because they lack depth. Jagr won't last forever, and who knows if he'll even remain with them.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, I can see the bigger Campbell comparison too.

Hopefully Beaulieu is like a sponge around Markov and Subban. Hard to think of 2 better examples for him.

Agreed. I think the kid has something special. We just need to get him there.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I also hope he fills out more and works out a lot in the gym to add muscle. We don't need to watch some 6'6" guy getting pounded. It's discouraging to watch.

Pounded, as in 'fighting' ? Cause if so, I don't know, we need Tinordi more on the ice than in the press box, he's not a goon, and never will be. Look at Komisarek, he's big and very strong, but can't fight, nor should he ever had to. Look what he became...

That said, yup, he needs to add muscle weight to his frame, can't disagree with that. Not too much though, don't want him to become Hal Gill v2, skating wise...

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pounded, as in 'fighting' ? Cause if so, I don't know, we need Tinordi more on the ice than in the press box, he's not a goon, and never will be. Look at Komisarek, he's big and very strong, but can't fight, nor should he ever had to. Look what he became...

That said, yup, he needs to add muscle weight to his frame, can't disagree with that. Not too much though, don't want him to become Hal Gill v2, skating wise...

Just his size alone should prevent him from getting pounded. When you are that big with long arms nobody should beat you up as most can't even reach you.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
He's a sweet skater. Effortless. His ability to use his edges, changes in direction, and his straight ahead speed are all impressive. He does remind me of a bigger Brian Campbell as well.

We'll see how things go.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
I'd rather just keep Weber as the healthy scratch emergency replacement during a road trip guy. Leaving Tinordi, Beaulieu and others to be playing heavy minutes and called up when you know they will see ice time.

Weber will never re-sign. Unless he is traded, he will go back to Europe.

I dont blame him. His treatment is one of the only black marks on MB's time. If you are not going to play him, trade him or put him on waivers.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Biggs would have been great...in the second round.

I didn't pay huge attention to that year's draft class but I didn't think Beaulieu would ever fall to us. Wasn't he consistently ranked in the top 10 of North American skaters? That was a good year for defenders but he was better in many ways than the 3 defensemen taken just before him.

He was seen as a top10 pick yeah.

Lots of people wanted McNeill that day. Glad we picked Nathan.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I swear to god, right now I don't even care if Raphael Diaz is getting better or not, I love the experience Beaulieu is getting in all of this. He's playing a key role in a winning enviroment, on a top 5 team in the NHL, as a 20 year old defensmen. That experience will pay off big time 1 day for sure.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I think all year he was ranked second dman, no?

And I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't actually first in some rankings.

He was at the beggining of the season, before Hamilton's stats exploded. It was pretty much a given that he was going to Boston 8th overall before Winnipeg and Ottawa changed everything.

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Beaulieu reminds me of Malakhov. Same smooth skating strides.

I think he's got a lot more heart and smarts, though.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Beaulieu reminds me of Malakhov. Same smooth skating strides.

I think he's got a lot more heart and smarts, though.

2 big puck-moving Ds.... Where I see Beaulieu as superior to Malakhov is stickhandling and offensive creativity.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Well for now, Beaulieu has 15:51 TOI/G (16:50 in Buffalo).
With this time, having him with us is helping him to get more experience.

When Diaz is back, he will go back to Hamilton but this experience is great to have in bank if he needs to be put on the ice for PO.

Habs management tried three d-men from Hamilton: Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu.
In their evaluation, they think Beaulieu is the one.

Given Emelin injury, it is possible that they may try Tinordi.

What I find interesting was the fact that they tried a few shift with Subban and Beaulieu together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad