Nathan Beaulieu - Do we still need Markov ?

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I don't think the Wings would do this. They aren't contending... would be a terrible move for them. We could offer him up to St Louis, Chicago, LA... contending teams and see what prospects/picks we could get in return.

Thing is though, Markov wants to stay, is negotiating a new deal and has a no trade clause. I don't think he's going anywhere.

They took the Hawks to 7 last year. Don't underestimate their core and coach.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Boolie looks good now but you can't evaluate a player in 3 games, he could dropoff. But yes, he should eventually replace Markov, maybe this year, maybe next, Markov looks like he is slowing down quite a bit now.

Beau was called up early precisely because the team wants to see if he can at least be Markov light. It's smart. Now trade Marky to a dumb contender for a prospect and a first, and re sign him this summer.

Gives Marky a chance at a cup this year, and a learning experience that he can bring back to Habs, and everyone wins. :)

If only the world was that logical....

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think the Wings would do this. They aren't contending... would be a terrible move for them. We could offer him up to St Louis, Chicago, LA... contending teams and see what prospects/picks we could get in return.

Thing is though, Markov wants to stay, is negotiating a new deal and has a no trade clause. I don't think he's going anywhere.

First of all he has a limited NTC which is a lot different then a full NTC and secondly why wouldn't Detroit want Markov?

They have Zetterberg and Datsyuk for a couple more years and they probably want to have a serious kick at the Cup if they can. Besides, they love veterans and veterans seem to enjoy playing there.

I'm not sure about us even wanting Mantha but they have a few other prospects like Ouellet that I'd be interested in.

poytri

Dec 24, 2013
Mtl
A 1st and good prospect and I would do it.

To Anaheim, Markov + 3rd for 1st, Rickard Rakell + Kevin Roy

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
1st and a top prospect. If not, resign him.

Beaulieu is a keeper though.

We'd be lucky to get one of those, no way we're getting both.

I don't want to annoint Beaulieu too quickly but I think we could get something of value for Markov and he isn't going to get any better.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
We'd be lucky to get one of those, no way we're getting both.

I don't want to annoint Beaulieu too quickly but I think we could get something of value for Markov and he isn't going to get any better.

I might sound alarming but i believe that Markov is done, at the TDL he might be the best dman available for buyers, Murray got 2 2nd rounders last season.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Timmins wanted Andre Burakovsky in the first round so don't be surprise if Markov gets traded for Burakovsky+pick

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I do not a matter to think that Beaulieu is better than Markov.
Markov was top-10 in the league for almost 10 years.

So the real question is:
Behind PK and Markov, can Beaulieu be the third best d-men?
On the offensive side, he he is clearly third behind PK and Markov.

On the defensive side, he is behind PK, Markov, Gorges and even Emelin.

So we do have a young players who is top-3 in offense (ahead of Diaz) and top-5 in defense.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I do not a matter to think that Beaulieu is better than Markov.
Markov was top-10 in the league for almost 10 years.

So the real question is:
Behind PK and Markov, can Beaulieu be the third best d-men?
On the offensive side, he he is clearly third behind PK and Markov.

On the defensive side, he is behind PK, Markov, Gorges and even Emelin.

So we do have a young players who is top-3 in offense (ahead of Diaz) and top-5 in defense.

On the defensive side he's the worst d-man we have up right now and we have three more guys in Hamilton better.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
On the defensive side he's the worst d-man we have up right now and we have three more guys in Hamilton better.

Best defense could be a good offence tho - if you can get the puck out of your own zone without having to turn it over or ice the puck he won't get pinned in as much, there's a reason Gorges is always near the top in blocked shots, zero puck handling skills - same goes for Murray and Emelin isn't much better

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Best defense could be a good offence tho - if you can get the puck out of your own zone without having to turn it over or ice the puck he won't get pinned in as much, there's a reason Gorges is always near the top in blocked shots, zero puck handling skills - same goes for Murray and Emelin isn't much better

It's weird I have never seen him on the ice when the Habs get scored on. And it's not because he doesn't play big minutes either. Look at Parros....

NewHabsEra*

Timmins wanted Andre Burakovsky in the first round so don't be surprise if Markov gets traded for Burakovsky+pick

I doubt they do it.. Everything is possible with Mcphee since he traded Forsberg for Erat but I highly doubt he is that dumb to trade Burakosky for Markov straight up..

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
It's weird I have never seen him on the ice when the Habs get scored on. And it's not because he doesn't play big minutes either. Look at Parros....

That's the thing...the guy never has a negative +/-....even in the last 3 **** shows he's been playing in, he hasn't been negative once. That means something.

MDN

Jun 6, 2013
Montreal
I doubt they do it.. Everything is possible with Mcphee since he traded Forsberg for Erat but I highly doubt he is that dumb to trade Burakosky for Markov straight up..
Crazier things have happened. Ovi is also good friends with Markov, it could help his case. If we get Burakovsky, we could potentially have a line of Burakovsky - De La Rose - Collberg in the future.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Markov hasn't been great lately, but for once, I'd like to be loyal to one of our players. If he wants to finish his career here, he deserves too. He gave this team way too many great years.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The key would be seeing how many minutes beaulieu can handle. Markov having less TOI a game will be huge, especially when his normal workload can be handed off to a young mobile PMD.

No way i deal him yet because if NB being added to the core helps markovs play improve then we simply add firepower. No need to ship him

GeneralMarky79

Sep 25, 2007
PEI
ive said it many times and ill it again. Plekanec should be traded. His value is at an all time high.I love pleky but its time. This team has so much young talent, time to make risky moves. Im sick of mediocrity.

Trade Pleky and Marky at the Deadline and get rid of that cirucus coach of ours.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
ive said it many times and ill it again. Plekanec should be traded. His value is at an all time high.I love pleky but its time. This team has so much young talent, time to make risky moves. Im sick of mediocrity.

Trade Pleky and Marky at the Deadline and get rid of that cirucus coach of ours.

If we move both those, it's because we've fallen way out of contention, which we are on our way to, but should be moving Gio Briere and Bourque as well and will be playing our AHL team. Pleky I doubt is moved though

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This team is at a new low right now with this coaching staff but there 1 thing positive noticeable in a sea of negativity and that is Nathan Beaulieu. From his recent play he is looking really good and I feel like he has a very promising future. With his shot, skating and puck moving ability he could be the next big offensive point man this team needs. Before seeing him play with the team I was of the opinion of resigning Markov for a short term deal but now I feel like this team would be way better off just trading him at the deadline as this team is a disaster right now and needs some help. Markov's value could be decently high at the deadline so it would be a good move in the long run. I appreciate Markov I really do but at the same time I really don't care about all that retiring as a Hab talk and pride issues. This team is playing deplorable Hockey right now and I can't stand watching this crap anymore. What do you guys think?

I don't think the Habs can trade Markov without giving up on the season. Simply because he won't return much as 35 year old soon to be UFA. Maybe a late first pick, which is what Ignila returned last year. A late first rounder isn't worth a season

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I'd trade Markov, we can easily play the remaining of the season with those pairings

Emelin-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Murray-Diaz

Then by next year, at least one of Pateryn/Tinordi will be ready to take Murray's spot and if Diaz is asking for too much money let him go, he won't be too hard to replace via the free agency market.

dreamingofdrouin*

I understand the great return markov would ge but I don't know how we can right now being in a playoff spot and all the parity there is in the league right now.. I mean...we might get paired up with tampa in the first round....that's a playoff series we can win. We know we can compete with boston cause we're forever in their heads, and with a goalie like price...who knows where we could go.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
I understand the great return markov would ge but I don't know how we can right now being in a playoff spot and all the parity there is in the league right now.. I mean...we might get paired up with tampa in the first round....that's a playoff series we can win. We know we can compete with boston cause we're forever in their heads, and with a goalie like price...who knows where we could go.

That's the mentality that has got us nowhere in the last 2 decades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad