Nathan Beaulieu - Do we still need Markov ?

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
This team is at a new low right now with this coaching staff but there 1 thing positive noticeable in a sea of negativity and that is Nathan Beaulieu. From his recent play he is looking really good and I feel like he has a very promising future. With his shot, skating and puck moving ability he could be the next big offensive point man this team needs. Before seeing him play with the team I was of the opinion of resigning Markov for a short term deal but now I feel like this team would be way better off just trading him at the deadline as this team is a disaster right now and needs some help. Markov's value could be decently high at the deadline so it would be a good move in the long run. I appreciate Markov I really do but at the same time I really don't care about all that retiring as a Hab talk and pride issues. This team is playing deplorable Hockey right now and I can't stand watching this crap anymore. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...do we still need Markov??...yes

...should we trade him if we get a home run offer??...absolutely

...IF we get that offer, take the short-term hurt for the long-term gain...now is the time...

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo

...IF we get that offer, take the short-term hurt for the long-term gain...now is the time...

No we don't need Markov. Losing him changes nothing. It's time to move on (4 years overdue btw).

You lose Subban and no one can take his spot which is do everything for the D. You lose Markov, you don't lose much.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Huge Markov fan for many years but it maybe time to part ways. Andrei is wearing down. His speed is clearly becoming an issue. It happens to every athlete, Father Time affects everyone at different times.
Time to pass the torch. I am sure a cup contender planning on a serious run will throw a decent package together for Andrei's services.
Beaulieu is ready. He has some serious skills, he is maturing right before our eyes. Let him play, expect some mistakes and be patient.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
Boolie looks good now but you can't evaluate a player in 3 games, he could dropoff. But yes, he should eventually replace Markov, maybe this year, maybe next, Markov looks like he is slowing down quite a bit now.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

Yeah you're right it might be too early to tell if it would be the right move. It's still considered a risk with Beaulieu but at this point I don't even care anymore watching this team play. Desperation is a bad thing though.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
It's time to take a good look at this team. We're weak in far too many areas to be a real contender.

We should move all players that are not in our long term plans for whatever assets we can get(picks, prospects, cap relief).

Unfortunately Markov has only a few years left in the tank and I think we should definitely explore trading him.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Typical Habs management, never trade when the value is at its highest.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Markov for Anthony Mantha ?

Mantha has issues, but one thing I do know is that if he ever kicks it up another gear with defensive intensity he'll be a heck of a player. I'd definitely consider that, although Detroit would like be veering towards no since Mantha is by far their best goal scoring talent.

As for Beaulieu, I like what I see from him. Sure, he makes mistakes, but I can live with them.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Markov for Anthony Mantha ?
I don't think the Wings would do this. They aren't contending... would be a terrible move for them. We could offer him up to St Louis, Chicago, LA... contending teams and see what prospects/picks we could get in return.

Thing is though, Markov wants to stay, is negotiating a new deal and has a no trade clause. I don't think he's going anywhere.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
This team is at a new low right now with this coaching staff but there 1 thing positive noticeable in a sea of negativity and that is Nathan Beaulieu. From his recent play he is looking really good and I feel like he has a very promising future. With his shot, skating and puck moving ability he could be the next big offensive point man this team needs. Before seeing him play with the team I was of the opinion of resigning Markov for a short term deal but now I feel like this team would be better off to just trading him at the deadline as this team is a disaster right now and needs some help. Markov's value could be decently high at the deadline so it would be a good move in the long run. I appreciate Markov I really do but at the same time I really don't care about all that retiring as a Hab talk and pride issues. This team is playing deplorable Hockey right now and I can't stand watching this crap anymore. What do you guys think?
Markov is a rental to a contender. That is all. We will not get much for him. The trick is to trade him to a desperate contender this year for a good young prospect that the contending team will sacrifice in desperation, and an extra pick, then re sign him this summer for three years. Because he will be very good indeed as a number 4 the next three years.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
This issue with Markov is not his usefulness, its his contract demands. I don't see more than a 2 year term and there is no way Markov is settling for anything less the 3-4 years. he has already stated he wants 4. On a 35+ contract - that's very risky.

Is Markov the player from the first forty games or the player we are seeing since the new year?

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Mantha has issues, but one thing I do know is that if he ever kicks it up another gear with defensive intensity he'll be a heck of a player. I'd definitely consider that, although Detroit would like be veering towards no since Mantha is by far their best goal scoring talent.

As for Beaulieu, I like what I see from him. Sure, he makes mistakes, but I can live with them.

Hard to tell if Mantha have defensive zone coverage problem since he always is in the O-zone.

1g 4a again tonight. Could have 2-3 more points easily.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Markov is a rental to a contender. That is all. We will not get much for him. The trick is to trade him to a desperate contender this year for a good young prospect that the contending team will sacrifice in desperation, and an extra pick, then re sign him this summer for three years. Because he will be very good indeed as a number 4 the next three years.

According to every pundit, this year there will not be a lot of buyers with a lot of sellers. At the deadline someone will overpay.

Example - Pittsburgh has an abundance of NHL ready D's in the minors and I bet they would love to add Markov for their SC run.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
As I said in the game day thread, the habs cannot afford to become sentimental with their players. We need help. A lot of it. If trading Markov at the deadline for the best possible return can net us a useful package that will help us, then yes, trade him.

If Beaulieu continues to play like an NHL regular, then the transition to life without Markov will become easier. That is to say that the Habs would still need to dip into free agency and pursue another top 4 defenceman.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Hard to tell if Mantha have defensive zone coverage problem since he always is in the O-zone.

1g 4a again tonight. Could have 2-3 more points easily.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I saw him at the WJC and his offensive abilities alone would have made me ecstatic if he was a Habs prospect. I just think this he would be even better if he was a bit more intense, particularly defensively but even on the offensive end. It comes easy to him now, but at the NHL level that extra notch is what can help him become a great goal scorer. His shot and nose for the net are elite, his hands and skating are great for a big guy, and he creates plays better than many give him credit for.

But again, that's beside the point, Detroit will not trade him away for a rental and they would be insane to do so considering Mantha's skill set is a big need in their system. For all the flack Detroit has gotten, I think Ken Holland realizes his team is in a transition period as the AHLers start becoming their key players over the next little while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad