Confirmed with Link: Nate Thompson 1 year 750k

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
upload_2020-10-10_14-59-59.gif

I’m looking at you Paul Maurice.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He's just gonna be a veteran face off guy who's in the press box as depth.

Rather have him there than Harkins or Appleton watching when they need to be developing.

Except that this glue guy, like all the other glue guys before him, will be playing in place of one of our prospects, who will have to "push him out the lineup," despite performing better in all possible non-adhesive ways. What a waste of money and roster spot. Again.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Here is Maurices grizzled useless vet that will find his way into the lineup over the kids throughout the year.... why the heck does this org never learn.

If he's pure press box fodder then that is one thing g but we all know Mauroce can't help himself.
I was going to comment, but, exactly this, with the bold being the most unfortunate point of all.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't know he seems to play a physical game and isn't scared to throw the fists a little. Alot of people said we weren't tough enough last year so this sort of addresses that. He seems to be able to play hockey a little too .

That's the positive spin. He's tough, for sure. He kills penalties well.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Every year we sign an old scrub to satisfy Paul’s fetish and every year they play worse than replacement level. You’d think we’d learn from getting burned every year but apparently not.

Just wait until next off-season when the vet they bring back is Perreault :(

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don't know he seems to play a physical game and isn't scared to throw the fists a little. Alot of people said we weren't tough enough last year so this sort of addresses that. He seems to be able to play hockey a little too .

Exactly! No problem with the player just that Maurice will likely overuse him to the extent where he becomes ineffective. From those clips looks like he was lined up with younger talented players. With Armia likely on the PK and with Suzuki as he was first breaking into the league.

Could be decent In the bottom six between Roslovic and Harkins/Perreault with Lowry, Copp and Appleton on the other.

But Maurice will probably overuse him on the shutdown line with Lowry and Copp while the younger players get 5-7 minutes of ice time per game.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Surprised how few people know about him. He was a subpar grinder in his “prime,” I can’t imagine he’s any better than Bourque, Shaw or Snore now. Waste of a contract spot.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I like him fine as a #5C. He’s like a combination of Shore and Bourque. But, silly me, I thought the Jets were going to give Gus a few games at C again this year, as well as potentially some time for Roslo and Harkins down the middle.

If somehow the plan is to run Lowry as an everyday 3C and Thompson as the everyday 4C at the same time then I’m jumping the border and going Wild.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Quotes from last season.

"Since he’s come in our lineup, he’s been consistent and he’s really stabilized the fourth line," said Canadiens assistant captain Brendan Gallagher on Wednesday.

"Nate’s a guy that (Canadiens coach) Claude Julien can really trust, and he can use him on the penalty kill and have him take those important D-zone draws. I think he’s been really good for the young linemates that he’s had, too. Guys come up and they understand just how complete a player he is and they really learn off of him. It really simplifies their game, it makes their game easier where they have less responsibility, and I think that’s probably a pretty underrated quality in that he’s able to make other guys’ jobs much easier."

It’s a direct, hard and strong brand of hockey that Thompson plays. He controls the action on his line — which currently has Nick Cousins on his left and Nick Suzuki on his right — and he makes high-percentage plays at both ends of the ice and rarely ends up out of position.

Canadiens' Nate Thompson continues to surprise after working on speed - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Jets 31

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Quotes from last season.

"Since he’s come in our lineup, he’s been consistent and he’s really stabilized the fourth line," said Canadiens assistant captain Brendan Gallagher on Wednesday.

"Nate’s a guy that (Canadiens coach) Claude Julien can really trust, and he can use him on the penalty kill and have him take those important D-zone draws. I think he’s been really good for the young linemates that he’s had, too. Guys come up and they understand just how complete a player he is and they really learn off of him. It really simplifies their game, it makes their game easier where they have less responsibility, and I think that’s probably a pretty underrated quality in that he’s able to make other guys’ jobs much easier."

It’s a direct, hard and strong brand of hockey that Thompson plays. He controls the action on his line — which currently has Nick Cousins on his left and Nick Suzuki on his right — and he makes high-percentage plays at both ends of the ice and rarely ends up out of position.

Canadiens' Nate Thompson continues to surprise after working on speed - Sportsnet.ca
Wow. Teammate spews platitudes rather than crap all over their own teammate. I'm convinced.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Mmmm. The takeaway here has to be that Maurice has learned nothing from the pathetic show of the PK most of last year and especially in the play-ins, and has no plans to try change anything this coming season.... . He is still searching for big bodied veterans who will play the conservative box system by blocking lanes, with no thought to aggressively pressuring the puck. Regrettably, given such philosophy, and with some face-off success, Thompson will find himself in the lineup a lot more often than most of us think warranted.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wow. Teammate spews platitudes rather than crap all over their own teammate. I'm convinced.

Given what some people here think the team and coaches should say in public about their teammates, I would think this is a ringing endorsement.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wonder if this and the Sbisa signing are just warm bodies for expansion draft fodder. Chances are this guy plays on the Moose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad