Post-Game Talk: Nashville @ Washington | 12/29/21 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Ok. You win. They still sucked. I was just curious. I watched on the nashville crew and they did a good job of making Soros look like he was standing on his head. I should have paid better attention. Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for finally understanding.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
My question was IF they had a gallery of chances and didnt score, do they suck?

What? What is the point of this question if you don't believe they had a "gallery of quality changes"? Huh? Tex why are you trying to ruin my Wednesday night with this nonsense.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
I wouldnt call it a shooting gallery either. I would say it looked good. My question wasnt directly related to the game. Let me rephrase. Does the pp suck no matter what if they dont score?

My answer to that is no. I think an objective viewer can see improvements without results. That said, not sure there was much promising here. Some better movement I guess you could say. But like i said, that was mostly perimeter that the preds gave them. They are still way too predictable and until that changes, I don’t think you’ll see a consistently good PP.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Oh...and no. They didnt have a gallery of chances. My question was IF they had a gallery of chances and didnt score, do they suck? If Kuzy scores the one great chance, do they still suck? I am not moving posts. I am asking where the posts are?

yes, if kuzy scored that.. they are still 1 for 6.. which is not good. Not to mention that almost goal was a bit of a broken play and not really something you can count on.

This is not a slumping PP. it’s just broken. It’s been broken for years now and is a big reason for recent playoff failures. They are stubborn and won’t fix the underlying issues.. it’s clear Forsythe thinks this is a slump and they will just work it out..

Reactions: Corby78

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I wouldnt call it a shooting gallery either. I would say it looked good. My question wasnt directly related to the game. Let me rephrase. Does the pp suck no matter what if they dont score?

They had 6 PP's so 12 mins with the man advantage and 13 shots. I don't think 2 shots per PP would be considered excessive at all. If anything it's probably on the lower end of expectation levels - a decent team should be able to get a couple of shots on goal for every PP opportunity.
Saros wasn't great tonight for the most part (4 goals on 36 shots 889 save percentage) so is it fair to say the Caps PP shots weren't high quality chances? If they WERE high quality chances then that means Saros only bothered to play out of this world when the team was short-handed.
Which would be unlikely.

Okay now that I've totally over analyzed the whole thing, I'd better answer your question: the PP sucks insofar as it is stale, predictable, and (as the stats are proving) easily defended. It really feels like the coaching staff have decided to tread water for weeks on the belief that when the
regular first unit is back (as it was tonight) everything will just start working again. It didn't. You are probably going to say "well it was only the first game", but imho the real problem is every single coach, player, and regular fan of the game knows exactly what to expect from the Caps PP.
And for my 5 cents worth - that means yes, it sucks, and is in desperate need of change. Don't even have to be major changes. Just move around more, quicker passing, different shots from different players, look for rebounds. ANYTHING so the PKer's don't know what to expect and also have to skate more and therefore tire themselves out.

Imagine how much better an already very good Caps team could be? And come playoff time how much more of a contender if they can convert those (rarer) PP opportunities?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Entertaining game, stressful 2nd and 3rd until Kuzy came up big
Interesting that NSH was the only team with a current streak of more than 2 W's in a row v WSH (and that it was so much at 8 W's)
So nice to see Kempny play like an NHL'er again after his preseason showings
Alexeyev hung OK too, good for him

1kUUSR1.jpg

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
They had 6 PP's so 12 mins with the man advantage and 13 shots. I don't think 2 shots per PP would be considered excessive at all. If anything it's probably on the lower end of expectation levels - a decent team should be able to get a couple of shots on goal for every PP opportunity.
Saros wasn't great tonight for the most part (4 goals on 36 shots 889 save percentage) so is it fair to say the Caps PP shots weren't high quality chances? If they WERE high quality chances then that means Saros only bothered to play out of this world when the team was short-handed.
Which would be unlikely.

Okay now that I've totally over analyzed the whole thing, I'd better answer your question: the PP sucks insofar as it is stale, predictable, and (as the stats are proving) easily defended. It really feels like the coaching staff have decided to tread water for weeks on the belief that when the
regular first unit is back (as it was tonight) everything will just start working again. It didn't. You are probably going to say "well it was only the first game", but imho the real problem is every single coach, player, and regular fan of the game knows exactly what to expect from the Caps PP.
And for my 5 cents worth - that means yes, it sucks, and is in desperate need of change. Don't even have to be major changes. Just move around more, quicker passing, different shots from different players, look for rebounds. ANYTHING so the PKer's don't know what to expect and also have to skate more and therefore tire themselves out.

Imagine how much better an already very good Caps team could be? And come playoff time how much more of a contender if they can convert those (rarer) PP opportunities?
Of the 6 pp opportunities, I thought one of them was very good. The other 5 were pretty meh.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
No....Ok....fire Forsythe.

Lets talk about Carlson
What do we want to say about Carlson?
He had 4 points. But I think he hurt the pp lastnight. He had several chances for a onetimer from the point with traffic in front of the net and refused to shoot the puck. He kept faking the shot and forcing it to Ovi.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
TVR and Kempny led the team in even strength TOI with 17:31 and 17:09 respectively, and also led the team in SH TOI (3:50 and 3:38). Given the D-corps held the Preds to just 20 shots on net, I’d say that’s pretty good for a guy who is paid like a #7 and another who was in the AHL after two major injuries.

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY
I hope Kempny gets some more games. I want to see what we have in him. He might not be 2018 1st pair but He def looks better then Cholo and Irwin. And with Mantha out long term he can stick around and the team seems to like him.

He is definitely better than the other #7 D we have on roster. But if we are talking top 6, the only one i wouldn't mind seeing him replace is Shultz. The other 5 have to stay.
As a matter of fact, i would love to see Caps trade away his $4M cap hit at the deadline for some forward help. From what i understand they should have plenty of cap space at the deadline, plus Shultz $4M off the books makes room for some big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad