Nashville Predators Hockey Talk 2023-2024 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
looking ahead of schedule , I would not be shocked to see us going under .500 to finish the season

Check it out (projections)

Sat: at Avalanche (OT Loss)

Tues: Boston (Loss)

Thursday: STL - Game of the year fa sho (OT Loss)

4/6- Isles (W)

4/7- NJD: (Loss)

4/9- WPG (Loss)

4/12- Blackhawks (W)

4/13- CBUS (Win)

4/15- Pittsburgh (OT Loss)

So if we get 9 out of the remaining 18 pts, you think we are making it?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
looking ahead of schedule , I would not be shocked to see us going under .500 to finish the season

4/6- Isles (W)

4/9- WPG (Loss)

4/12- Blackhawks (W)

4/13- CBUS (Win)

St. Louis has 18 remaining points that are obtainable. They are 8 points behind. It's certainly possible they'd catch us, Their schedule is easier than ours I would say. We can't coast thinking it's over, but if we can beat them and get a few more wins then things should be taken care of.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
St. Louis has 18 remaining points that are obtainable. They are 8 points behind. It's certainly possible they'd catch us, Their schedule is easier than ours I would say. We can't coast thinking it's over, but if we can beat them and get a few more wins then things should be taken care of.
10 points guarantees us being in. Any game St. Louis loses makes that number lower too. So yeah it’s possible we could miss the playoffs but it would take a pretty major collapse in which case it’s probably better we miss anyways.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

4/6- Isles (W)

4/9- WPG (Loss)

4/12- Blackhawks (W)

4/13- CBUS (Win)

If we get 9 of the remaining points, StL has to win out to pass us.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm, not a fan of the term "must win game" unless it's an actual elimination game. This Avalanche game is an important game for the psyche of the team but probably more so the fans. The team believes in themselves and are confident in their ability to win this game, even if they do lose they aren't going to give up on themselves.

The fans on the other hand, seem to be waiting for the losing streak that proves the points streak was a fluke. In that sense, for the fans, this is probably a must win game, whether or not it actually is a linchpin game in the standings.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'm, not a fan of the term "must win game" unless it's an actual elimination game. This Avalanche game is an important game for the psyche of the team but probably more so the fans. The team believes in themselves and are confident in their ability to win this game, even if they do lose they aren't going to give up on themselves.

The fans on the other hand, seem to be waiting for the losing streak that proves the points streak was a fluke. In that sense, for the fans, this is probably a must win game, whether or not it actually is a linchpin game in the standings.
Data is a funny thing. Are we the team that went 5-10 to start the year? The team that then went 14-4 and something? The team that then went 3-7 or something to that effect or the team that went 16-0-2 and then finally lost one?

We've had stretches of better play overall. Do I believe we're the team that just ran off an incredible stretch of play? Of course not because that isn't sustainable. I'm also not the person who believes we're the team that's had two bad stretches of hockey this year. First stretch of bad play was the team learning the system. The second bad stretch was guys hitting the wall. The last great stretch was guys believing in the system and each other.

As long as we play like we did over the 18 game point streak, we will win more games than we lose. Make the playoffs, win 4 out of of every 7 games and you're golden.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Do we even want to catch the Jets, though? I'd much rather go in as the WC2 and take on Vancouver, than sneak in as the 3rd in-division and go against Colorado.
I'd rather stay in the Central. If they end up in the Pacific, they have Edmonton in round 2 if they can even manage win against Vancouver. They are more likely to get swept by Vancouver.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
This remains a bubble team. A bubble team that controls its own destiny but on the bubble nonetheless.

To clinch requires tightening up the team defense and passing. 16 goals allowed with the goalie still in over the past three games ... 19 total allowed. Too many turnovers ... too many bad decisions with the puck ... too many blown zone clears ... leading to too many chances against.

Get home ... use Monday to make a plan then execute on Tuesday.

0-2-0 in the last two. 16-2-2 for the last 20. .608 pts% for the first 74 games.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I was looking at some stats today and Saros is basically getting shellacked. He plays more than most goalies, but he's still eating a ton of rubber.

I know we just came off a glorious run, but we've caved in at times.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
As Steve always said, you're never as good as you look when you're winning, and never as bad as you look when you're losing.

I take solace in the fact we scored 4 even strength goals tonight. No matter what you think of our chances, we just aren't going to keep giving up more than 6 goals a game. Saros is too good, and our defense can clearly play much better.

I suspect there has been a little "reading their own press clippings" going on, in that they started thinking they were infallible and lost focus on what got them these wins to begin with.

A strong challenge for Bruno, and a much more true test of his coaching and leadership ability than bag skating and a cancelled vacation. Now he's got to remind these guys what made then so dominant, and figure out how to get them to do it again.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I want no part of Vancouver or Edmonton, they will pick us apart like they usually do. Colorado we have played well this season, and if McD doesnt get booted tonight im sure they couldve won this one too.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Blues lost to the Sharks tonight, 4-0.
Magic number drops by 2 poi s even with our ugly loss

If I had to guess I'd say most blues fans are resigned to not making the playoffs this season, but for any who aren't this has to be a wtf moment for them..

Edited to add, Kings lost too, so as ugly as it was last night, we lost didn't lose any ground and our magic number got smaller

And Minnesota forfeited their loser point by pulling the goalie and losing in OT.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

If I had to guess I'd say most blues fans are resigned to not making the playoffs this season, but for any who aren't this has to be a wtf moment for them..

Edited to add, Kings lost too, so as ugly as it was last night, we lost didn't lose any ground and our magic number got smaller

And Minnesota forfeited their loser point by pulling the goalie and losing in OT.
Plus the Jets lost. Still 4 points back of 3rd.

Reactions: PredsV82

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

The Knights players said they were looking for the "surprise" move from Hynes. :laugh:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Had family stuff yesterday and only saw the third period. Seems like that penalty really changed the game and it was essentially over by the time I tuned in.
Yeah sadly you didn't miss much once the penalty happened. Just completely destroyed all of our momentum, combined with other calls that were/weren't made I think it was a tall order for the guys after that.

Also I think it was the first time all season where I thought Lankinen just wasn't good. He seemed to be out of position a lot and also seemed to just be slow overall. He just didn't seem to be moving well to the point I wondered if he might actually be hurt a little bit.

Reactions: bdub24

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I have been posting a bunch of good, happy stats and notes lately but unfortunately time for a bad one:

We have allowed 19 goals in the last 3 games. Before that we had allowed 19 in the previous TWELVE games combined.

Yikes......

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I have been posting a bunch of good, happy stats and notes lately but unfortunately time for a bad one:

We have allowed 19 goals in the last 3 games. Before that we had allowed 19 in the previous TWELVE games combined.

Yikes......

12 even strength goals against
4 on the penalty kill
3 empty nets

Coincides with Carrier being injured and the shuffling of the d-pairs along with Barrie being brought back in.

EV strength GA in that time
Josi - 10
Barrie - 4
Lauzon - 4
Schenn - 4
Fabbro - 3
McD - 2
Del G - 1
Stastney - 1

Fabbro and Del G only played 1 game in that time. Stastney and Barrie each played 2. McD technically played 3 but it was more 2.5.

Seems like whoever has been slapped in with Josi has been leveled. That checks out since the forsberg, ror, nyquist line has been leveled as well in even strength goals against accounting for 8 of the teams 12 even strength goals against. Not sure if theyre all just cheating trying to force offense or what but dang

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think the common thread through all of those games is the shuffling of the Dmen around.

I haven't been able to watch all of the games due to work, but on the Josi front with him getting hot has he started to get back to his all over the place ways or is he still doing ok in the system? I know it looked like he was getting caught deep alot in the Colorado game, which isn't shocking considering how quick that team is.

I know the bad thing sometimes about long win streaks is that it can tend to let some bad habits grow if you aren't careful. You are winning so the coaches don't say as much/let more go.

Then tbh the game against Colorado you just get into some weird circumstances where you are actually doing pretty well, one play happens and everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad