Post-Game Talk: Nashville Predators at New York Rangers 11/23/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Disagree with the people saying we had no business winning. Nashville had basically eight straight minutes of PP time, that'll take away any team's momentum. The fact that we killed off all those PP chances is a testament to how this team handles adversity. They earned this one big time IMO. especially with all the blocked shots.

There's a lot to this. Henrik was tremendous once again. Obvious first star. The defense and the penalty kill get the second star. Blocked a ton of shots and cleared a lot of rebounds.

Nash with the game winner gets the third star. Clutch play when the offense was accomplishing absolutely nothing. That goal IMO got into the Predators heads and getting the lead was instrumental in our offense coming to life in the third.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Good game defensively?? It was a shooting gallery

This was the literally definition of not good defense.

Hank all but called out the defensive play earlier this week, and at this rate is going to decapitate one of the dmen with his stick out of frustration, and we're still going to be praising the guys laying on the ice blocking 5000 shots cause they can't get the puck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Disagree with the people saying we had no business winning. Nashville had basically eight straight minutes of PP time, that'll take away any team's momentum. The fact that we killed off all those PP chances is a testament to how this team handles adversity. They earned this one big time IMO. especially with all the blocked shots.

Yeah, but we took those penalties. They were all legit calls. It was poor play that was causing the Rangers to take the idiotic calls.

Now, I don't think this was like the worst game of all time, but we were shooting ourselves in the foot with those penalties.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They made some great individual efforts on the penalty kill, but their defensive zone play is kind of what got them into that position in the first place.

I think good PKing and good defense are separate things but I know that's probably a minority opinion.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Hank all but called out the defensive play earlier this week, and at this rate is going to decapitate one of the dmen with his stick out of frustration, and we're still going to be praising the guys laying on the ice blocking 5000 shots cause they can't get the puck.

The defense itself was alright. They generally pushed shots to the outside. The problem was with the forwards not covering their points and lackadaisical play by many of them.

The PK was outstanding, for example. Utterly outstanding.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT

They spent a ton of time on the PK, and shut them down. When a team has essentially 8 non stop penalty minutes they are going to generate a ton of shots. PK is defence too, and they were excellent.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
They made some great individual efforts on the penalty kill, but their defensive zone play is kind of what got them into that position in the first place.

Exactly. Awful and lazy play. Like I said, the blame falls mostly on the forwards, there. I was ready to execute Boyle at times, but the forwards were just so bad in our own zone.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Not the first time Rangers looked like complete crap for two periods but had a lead and shut it down in the third. Though they love to try and ruin their goalie's shutout. Thought Nashville was going to score at the end there.

The takeaway for me is the Rangers are seasoned winners. They do what it takes to win, even if nobody understands what it is exactly they're doing to do it. Another game, on to the Canadiens

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The defense itself was alright. They generally pushed shots to the outside. The problem was with the forwards not covering their points and lackadaisical play by many of them.

The PK was outstanding, for example. Utterly outstanding.

I meant defense collectively, as in team defense. For 2 periods, up and down the line, it was terrible.

3rd period was much, much better. But we could have been 3-0 down by then.

I don't ever want to hear Quick or Crawford or any of these clowns put in the same sentence as Hank. He's the best in the generation, AINEC.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I guess Hank really wanted to fix his numbers after Florida. What a performance by him.

The rest of the team was meh, especially in the 1st and 2nd, but they buckled down in the 3rd and won the game.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Credit to Nash for turning on the afterburners and making a true Rick Nash move and goal. Hopefully the hat trick in Florida got his confidence flowing and the goals follow.

RangersOwnNewYork*

played like total garbage but somehow won.

noice

They were outplayed for most of the first 2 periods and the biggest reason was they were shorthanded 5 times and had zero PP time. What exactly do people expect when they are on the PK for 8 minutes out of the first 20? Their 3rd period was very good actually.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
They were outplayed for most of the first 2 periods and the biggest reason was they were shorthanded 5 times and had zero PP time. What exactly do people expect when they are on the PK for 8 minutes out of the first 20? Their 3rd period was very good actually.

Really doesn't excuse the middle frame.

Glad they didn't sit on the lead for the last 20 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad