Post-Game Talk: Nashville Predators at New Jersey Devils 13 October 2015 at Newark, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Just got back from a quickie morning run where the words "group possession" kept ringing in the brain - the entire forward group seems to be lacking in duos/trios who consistently together to possess the puck, drive forward together when breaking out, set-up in the o-zone with some cycling, etc. Lottsa individual efforts, passing isn't bad exactly either, but what's maybe lacking is some real and sustained puck possession.

Presuming that's part of the issue and using existing assets only (no trades), I'd try re-writing the forward lines by either shifting the centers (Riberio, Fisher and Hodgson), or by playing humpty-dumpty with the entire so-called "top 9" to find pairs that have some genuine click...

Approach #1 (shifting centers) goes to the theory that neither Riberio or Fisher seem to be truly driving the even-strength offensive play of their respective lines, while concurrently Hodgson seems both unsupported where he shines offensively (having wingers who get open so he's got a receiver, or who can/have the confidence to calm and think: "make a play") and not ready to be the "veteran leader" that the guys rotating in and out of the 3rd maybe need.

Without a thought to line numbers, that'd look something like -

Forsberg - Fisher - Neal
Rookie - Riberio - Jarnkrok
Wilson - Hodgson - Smith

or

Wilson - Riberio - Smith
Forsberg - Hodgson - Neal
Rookie - Fisher - Jarkrok

Approach #2 (humpty-dumpty) goes to the notion that rather than tinkering here and there ostensibly to prop the 3rd line (when it's not like the top 6 are breaking out at es either), tear up top 9 and rebuild into pairs that might truly click (as opposed to merely looking serviceable). Off the top some duets I haven't seen tried (but perhaps some have been in the past?) -

Forsberg - Riberio (closer/playmaker)
Hodgson - Neal (playmaker/closer)
Fisher - Jarnkrok (shut down styled tandem)
Forsberg - Smith (closer/puck retriever)
Wilson - Neal (energy/speed/closer)
Riberio - Neal (playmaker/closer)
Forsberg - Hodgson (closer/playmaker)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i know it hasn't showed yet, but fisher and ribiero are by far our two best offensive centermen.. both near .75 points per game last year.. they will find their games again

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
That's crazy. Where do you come up with this stuff?

EPGES.

I have tracked every single regular season and playoff goal for this team since 1998 (Okay, I actually only started keeping track since 2001).

It all started over an argument regarding a certain former forward of ours who had a knack for scoring "meaningless" goals. It led to the monstrosity of Excel Spreadsheet madness found at said link.

I have kept the thing updated after every game (roughly) since then.

It includes game number, season game number, date, opponent, location, overall goal number, scorer, period, time of goal, assists, type of goal (ES/PP/SH/PS/SHO if no goal scored), types of goal (FG, R/P for Regular season or Playoffs), Goal type (GW/GT/TG/IG), opposing goaltender, Score of game at time of goal, final result of game, final score of game, Goal number for player as a Predator, and any various notes about said goal.

For example: the 200th "Frosty" goal (a game where the fourth goal was scored at home) was scored on 24 Feb 2015 by Filip Forsberg, goal #3452 in game 1307, Preds hosting Colorado. FF9's goal came at 54 seconds of the 3rd period, and was assisted by Mike Ribiero. It was an Insurance Goal against Varlamov (it was one goal more than would be required to win by the final score - essential, GW plus one), and the score at the time was 4-1. The final score was 5-2, Nashville.

This was also only the 5th time Nashville has scored two empty netters in one game. The other four:

• 6 April 2010 (Smithson/Erat)
  • 31 December 2010 (Ward/Sergei Kostitsyn)
  • 5 January 2011 (Kostitsyn/Weber)
  • 9 December 2014 (Bourque/Neal)

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
EPGES.

I have tracked every single regular season and playoff goal for this team since 1998 (Okay, I actually only started keeping track since 2001).

It all started over an argument regarding a certain former forward of ours who had a knack for scoring "meaningless" goals. It led to the monstrosity of Excel Spreadsheet madness found at said link.

It includes game number, season game number, date, opponent, location, overall goal number, scorer, period, time of goal, assists, type of goal (ES/PP/SH/PS/SHO if no goal scored), types of goal (FG, R/P for Regular season or Playoffs), Goal type (GW/GT/TG/IG), opposing goaltender, Score of game at time of goal, final result of game, final score of game, Goal number for player as a Predator, and any various notes about said goal.

For example: the 200th "Frosty" goal (a game where the fourth goal was scored at home) was scored on 24 Feb 2015 by Filip Forsberg, goal #3452 in game 1307, Preds hosting Colorado. FF9's goal came at 54 seconds of the 3rd period, and was assisted by Mike Ribiero. It was an Insurance Goal against Varlamov (it was one goal more than would be required to win by the final score - essential, GW plus one), and the score at the time was 4-1. The final score was 5-2, Nashville.

This was also only the 5th time Nashville has scored two empty netters in one game. The other four:

wow. Just wow. I'm referring to your dedication, so in a good way wow of course. But wow. :amazed:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I don't care what the score is I just want to see this

1. Complete, 60 minute effort from everyone
2. A win
3. Power play goal

Everything else is secondary.

Just now getting to the thread, and this may have already been said, but this is pure Meatloaf..... 2 out of 3 ain't bad..

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Just now getting to the thread, and this may have already been said, but this is pure Meatloaf..... 2 out of 3 ain't bad..

OMG! You brought back my youth!

And all I can do is keep on telling you
I want you, I need you
But-there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Welcome to life as a Preds fan. Might want to put that quote into a macro.

5% of our games we play like we can, and dominate
55% of our games we play somewhat inspired hockey, get one or two goals and hang on for the victory
30% of our games we play uninspired hockey, get one or two goals and are unable to hang on for the victory
10% of our games, we crap the bed and get blown out

I'm being a bit facetious obviously, but history would tell us that if you're waiting for the Preds to turn into a well-oiled machine that's scoring goals in 4-5 goal bunches, playing wide open hockey and is a joy to watch, you're going to be waiting a long time. Our MO is play good defense, get what goals we can and hope it's enough. Levi's trying to change that, but I'm not sure how successful he can be without a lot of changes in forward talent.

That's not to say the team isn't fun to watch. But you have to enjoy watching:
A) Great defense/goaltending
B) Excellent effort earning a victory by mainly mid-range talent players
or
C) Have a perverse joy in watching great scoring opportunities miss the net/hit the goalies crest

With all that said, every time I watch other teams, I realize we're not the only team who whiffs on a wide open shot in the slot or misses the net off a perfect cross-crease pass. So I'd rather be the team that can only convert on a couple scoring opportunities and can hang on to win, than the team that can only convert on a couple and doesn't have the defense to hang on.

Somehow, we managed to finish I think 12th in the league in scoring, so despite my pessimistic tone, there is reason to believe we can score more.

I don't disagree with much of what you say here, but I still think there is a lot of overreacting going on. It is WAY too early to be pushing the panic button.

Its THREE games. Heck, the Penguins probably have more offensive talent than anyone in the league and they have been worse than us.

As you say, the offense was really good for a good part of the season last year- and we should have better offensive talent this year than last year. I think Lavi HAS changed things. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn’t at least equal last year’s team as far as offensive output goes.

After 3 games I just think it is too early to be panicking or thinking we are now just another typical old school Trotz team. I don’t think that is the case at all.

Now if this continues over the next 10 game brutal stretch we have upcoming- then I will start to get worried too. We will find out a lot in the next month or so……..

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I don't disagree with much of what you say here, but I still think there is a lot of overreacting going on. It is WAY too early to be pushing the panic button.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm an eternal optimist. I may get frustrated, but I'm always hopeful.

The point of my rare somber post was simply to explain to our new poster that much of life as a Preds fan is being satisfied with hard-fought ugly victories. If that's not enough, you're likely to drive yourself crazy because as good as we are, we're not likely to the league's example of precision offense.

Now back to my regularly-scheduled optimistic self.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
EPGES.

This is amazing Jwhouk; great work. :handclap:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Wow so out of 15 years of hockey (you keeping track) we've scored multi ENGs only 5 times, and two of those came within a week.

Weird stat I figured out last night....both goals we've given up this season were with 1:40 left in the 3rd protecting a 2-0 lead.

Edit: I guess I posted that last night.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I think I am a super fan with my fancy stats and dedication to watching at least two games a night... then someone like Jwhouk appears and destroys all my cred as a hockey super fan! :D Great stuff!

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Wow so out of 15 years of hockey (you keeping track) we've scored multi ENGs only 5 times, and two of those came within a week.

Weird stat I figured out last night....both goals we've given up this season were with 1:40 left in the 3rd protecting a 2-0 lead.

That's pretty crazy actually; I just checked the official box scores and both goals were at exactly 18:20 into the third period, not even a second off. :scared:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Awesome !
This is an amazing observation. Congrats.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
head.png

nsh.png
p3.png

nj.png
o1.png

final.png

...On To Brooklyn!