Post-Game Talk: Nashville Predators at New Jersey Devils 13 October 2015 at Newark, NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
3rd period was fairly solid. A road win and 3-0 to start the season. I'll take this all day. Plus we hadn't won in NJ since 2010 so this is welcome.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Ladies and gentlemen of the Predators Nation:

We have just witnessed history.

The Nashville Predators have scored their first ever Game Winning Goal into an Empty Net - in franchise history.

Ponder that: this is game 1,337 in team history (including the playoffs). There have been 3,527 goals scored in that span. 112 of those have been empty netters.

And this is the first time we've won a game on an ENG.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com

The Nashville Predators have scored their first ever Game Winning Goal into an Empty Net - in franchise history.

Ponder that: this is game 1,337 in team history (including the playoffs). There have been 3,527 goals scored in that span. 112 of those have been empty netters.

That's crazy. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Preds need to start playing a complete game. Moments of brilliance but every game so far they've dropped off significantly.

Agreed, I think we've played down to lesser teams thus far. We can't let the foot of the pedal in the 2nd or 3rd after a good 1st.

Wow, I can kind of believe that actually.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Time to call up some guys ... to avoid them sulking ... and give creativity to this offense-:laugh:

and by the way ... the preds are leading with 3 games and as many wins.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Definitely not pretty, but a win is a win. Outside of the first period of game 1, we haven't really played all that well since- and are still 3-0.

As I posted earlier, we will find out in a hurry where we stand with the next 10 games- almost all against elite teams.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013

So then like, you're saying, a rare Hodgson penalty and a very rare o-zone oops Hodgson penalty was the catalyst to a franchise history? Cool! :P

(and ps: big thanks to Josi for the EN and the balance of the shut down crew, especially Rinne, for not turning my boy's oops into a wholesale twitter lynch mob! ;))

Incidentally - I caught every second of the game but haven't had a chance to respond to a couple really swell board comments in reply to my own questions or to a pm which lit up my day (you know who you are D and of course you caught FLA's 4-1 tonight ;))...

But here's a second before sleep in my time zone to say thanks - you Predator fans truly are swell! That may sound rather lame to those who haven't followed certain other teams, but those who have know what I mean - a fanbase mentality can be a total turn off or a draw in, and the last 4 months learning about the Preds has been all about the fans drawing me in further. You guys are neat here, love it, and thanks.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I hope that the whole season isn't going to be as boring as these first three games

Carolina and New Jersey as opponents probably doesn't help in the "jam" department.

Coming up: Isles, Sens, Lightning, Ducks, Pens, Sharks, Kings. This season is about to get real.

Last edited:

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
He definitely made an individual impact. Not sure if it made for a better "line" though. He's a straight line player at times.

I dunno what you mean by "straight line player", but agree with your generalized assessment - I noticed the kid, but not as part of a trio. I notice Hodgson individually too (really glad to see improved foot speed and tenaciousness in the corners, boards, etc.) as well has Jarnkrok (especially that last shift to end the 2nd period while the bad guys seemed content to waste away 30-40 seconds of the game playing keep-away in their own zone, and Jarnkrork's pestering/pushing finally prompted a cough up).

But yeah, not seeing any sort of trio. Yet?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
3rd mainly needs someone that can put the puck in the net. None of the 3 seem to be able too. They actually had a couple of decent chances tonight.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Before the season a number of us said that Cody needed decent wingers around him to succeed. This has not changed and while individually he has been so-so unless some combination of wings is found to work up and down the roster its gonna be tough. I can make this prediction if the offense continues to sputter it will be blamed on the centers. And while Fish and Riberio will take there portion the whipping boy will be Cody. And to be honest Riberio has been the worst center thru the first three games IMO.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
Before the season a number of us said that Cody needed decent wingers around him to succeed. This has not changed and while individually he has been so-so unless some combination of wings is found to work up and down the roster its gonna be tough. I can make this prediction if the offense continues to sputter it will be blamed on the centers. And while Fish and Riberio will take there portion the whipping boy will be Cody. And to be honest Riberio has been the worst center thru the first three games IMO.

Well, at least Hodgson is used to the whipping boy role :laugh:

I disagree re: Hodgson being merely so-so, mostly because the aspects of his game which were his weakest in Buffalo (skating, which had to effect his positioning on the back check and his own zone, and seeming willingness to engage more physically) have clearly improved dramatically to my view point. He's never gonna be a hit monster, but the Hodgson I saw last night in particular was definitely skating smoother and in on the play harder. So I count him as above so-so in those ways, and just presume his offense will being to shine thru when the line comes together.

Whatever though, cuz I totally agree on your general point re: the 3rd line. I'm not seeing any gel there. Obviously with the left winger having changed at least 3 times in 3 games there's no real trio, but I mean that I don't see anything inspiring in the Hodgson-Jarnkrok duet. They kinda seem just like two individuals skating on the same line, and with Bourque last night it seemed like three individuals on the ice at the same time. None of them were "bad", even had some moments, but nothing stood out as being a connected.

And yeah also re: Riberio, weird that. I really liked his game that 1st period of the 1st game, figured that was who the guy was. The whole 1st line was precisely what I'd expect of a contender's top trio. But then Riberio sputtered (with the rest of the team) as the pace fell off, and haven't much noticed him since, while Forsberg and Neal appear to take turns attempting to generate something.

To be fair, I haven't much noticed Fisher either aside from his strong face-off performance last night. I'm seeing more from the Wilson-Smith tandem and the 4th line as a whole then anything else. The rest, from Forsberg through Jarnkrok, just seem rather... I dunno, can't put my thumb on it. There's no one I would plug down playing "badly", and sure there have been some sweet plays, but rather sporadic and so uninspiring.

Thank gawd for the d and Rinne settling into the season so fast.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think we have to improve that 3rd line via trade during season. There are some teams that bought players in the summer just to trade them for draft picks. Obviously we dont want to give 1st but giving a 2nd or 3rd we could land some decent scorer to improve the third line. If PL doesn't solve this problem quickly, the trade may come sooner than we think.

Now I know that Poile has said that he thinks this is the team we ride this year, but Fiala/Jarnkrok/Arvidsson/Watson/Bourque aren't the wingers of a team that goes deep in the playoffs. Well maybe one of those is.

We'll have to wait and see, maybe the problem will solve itself out but right now it's hard to see.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think we have to improve that 3rd line via trade during season. There are some teams that bought players in the summer just to trade them for draft picks. Obviously we dont want to give 1st but giving a 2nd or 3rd we could land some decent scorer to improve the third line. If PL doesn't solve this problem quickly, the trade may come sooner than we think.

Now I know that Poile has said that he thinks this is the team we ride this year, but Fiala/Jarnkrok/Arvidsson/Watson/Bourque aren't the wingers of a team that goes deep in the playoffs. Well maybe one of those is.

We'll have to wait and see, maybe the problem will solve itself out but right now it's hard to see.

From the roster and the players in the pipeline theres really no reason to target help for the 3rd line. This may be the issue from the summer that the 3rd was targeted instead of trying to upgrade the top 6 and move someone down to the 3rd line. Regardless unless the centers can get started it will be pointless.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I dunno, can't put my thumb on it. There's no one I would plug down playing "badly", and sure there have been some sweet plays, but rather sporadic and so uninspiring.

Thank gawd for the d and Rinne settling into the season so fast.

Welcome to life as a Preds fan. Might want to put that quote into a macro.

5% of our games we play like we can, and dominate
55% of our games we play somewhat inspired hockey, get one or two goals and hang on for the victory
30% of our games we play uninspired hockey, get one or two goals and are unable to hang on for the victory
10% of our games, we crap the bed and get blown out

I'm being a bit facetious obviously, but history would tell us that if you're waiting for the Preds to turn into a well-oiled machine that's scoring goals in 4-5 goal bunches, playing wide open hockey and is a joy to watch, you're going to be waiting a long time. Our MO is play good defense, get what goals we can and hope it's enough. Levi's trying to change that, but I'm not sure how successful he can be without a lot of changes in forward talent.

That's not to say the team isn't fun to watch. But you have to enjoy watching:
A) Great defense/goaltending
B) Excellent effort earning a victory by mainly mid-range talent players
or
C) Have a perverse joy in watching great scoring opportunities miss the net/hit the goalies crest

With all that said, every time I watch other teams, I realize we're not the only team who whiffs on a wide open shot in the slot or misses the net off a perfect cross-crease pass. So I'd rather be the team that can only convert on a couple scoring opportunities and can hang on to win, than the team that can only convert on a couple and doesn't have the defense to hang on.

Somehow, we managed to finish I think 12th in the league in scoring, so despite my pessimistic tone, there is reason to believe we can score more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad