Status
Not open for further replies.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
deandebean said:
You're right.

This canadian squad, with Phillips and Souray, is our C team.

Same goes for the forwards.

I repeat, this squad would get ass-kicked by the 2002 SLC and 2004 WC team. I've seen better pickups after playoff elimination than this one.

Just 2 words: Mike Fisher.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
deandebean said:
I guess you euros don't understand how Canada works as a hockey nation. Remember 72. Us against the Soviet system. Win at all cost, even if it meant beating Kharlamov to submission (Clarke and the tomahawk chop). 2002. Us against the World, dixit Gretzky.

Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the next time the 2 teams will meet, some Swedish heads are going to fly because of the manager's doings. I'm sure Alfie's not very pleased with what his organisation has done.

It's a no-no to send a tv shot (no even a penalty called) and ask for a suspension. At least, on this side of the ocean. It's part of the unwritten code.

You sound like you're somewhat proud of the actions back in 1972. That's pretty sad. I hope I misunderstood.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
deandebean said:
Yes, but this team still sucks, canadian standard-wise. Whatever which way you look at it.

Agreed, but Sweden team still sucks, swedes standard-wise, Finland still sucks, finns standard-wise... all in all, this tournament still sucks, world championship standard-wise but it's still entertaining because we all miss hockey a lot.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
You sound like you're somewhat proud of the actions back in 1972. That's pretty sad.

It's not a question of being proud. In fact, I was appalled at the time with the way Clarke acted (I believe profoundly he was ordered by Eagleson or Ferguson). But Canada won. And nobody probably except me remembers the Kharlamov incident. Shows you how winning is important here.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
markov` said:
Agreed, but Sweden team still sucks, swedes standard-wise, Finland still sucks, finns standard-wise... all in all, this tournament still sucks, world championship standard-wise but it's still entertaining because we all miss hockey a lot.

Agreed! :clap:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
markov` said:

Agree.
Agree on the swedish team. Still sucks. Always will. But the Finns impress me.

Our canadian team is missing wayyyyyy too much talent up front to even think about competing at the international level.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
deandebean said:
It's not a question of being proud. In fact, I was appalled at the time with the way Clarke acted (I believe profoundly he was ordered by Eagleson or Ferguson). But Canada won. And nobody probably except me remembers the Kharlamov incident. Shows you how winning is important here.

So I missunderstood. My bad.

Actually quite a lot of people remember the Kharlamov incident. The younger generation doesn't, generally speaking, but older people do.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Boucicaut said:

Actually quite a lot of people remember the Kharlamov incident. The younger generation doesn't, generally speaking, but older people do.

Do not want to start a provincial war here, but most Quebec-based journalists (even those at the Gazoo) expressed their disgust after the Kharlamov incident, while the rest of Canada's reporters were mostly in awe with Clarke's desire to win. I remember quite well...

Some players left Team Canada on their own because: a) no ice time; b) of the way Team Canada was asked to play in the USSR.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Boucicaut said:

I remember it very well.
I also remember a team meeting before the game where Fergie said to the group "Kharlomov is limping like hell. Don't go out of your way, but if you are near him, give his ankle a 'tickle'". He was staring right at Clarkie when he said it.
Clarke took the message very seriously, apparently.
I abhor those kind of tactics to win a game. But would I rather that Bobby Clarke did not do it, and that Canada lost the series?
I honestly don't know the answer to that question, guys.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Yea, we lost a game and we suck, great math there kid. Sweden is like third best nation through history behind russia and canada :eek: :teach: :sarcasm:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
deandebean said:
Do not want to start a provincial war here, but most Quebec-based journalists (even those at the Gazoo) expressed their disgust after the Kharlamov incident, while the rest of Canada's reporters were mostly in awe with Clarke's desire to win. I remember quite well...

Some players left Team Canada on their own because: a) no ice time; b) of the way Team Canada was asked to play in the USSR.

Wow! This part I did not know about. Kudos to those guys for having the guts for something like that.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
deandebean said:
You're right.

This canadian squad, with Phillips and Souray, is our C team.

Same goes for the forwards.

I repeat, this squad would get ass-kicked by the 2002 SLC and 2004 WC team. I've seen better pickups after playoff elimination than this one.
Only the czech and slovak squads are comparable to their squads for the 2004 WC.
Half of this Team Canada played in the 2004 WC, on paper this Canada no C-team.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Steveorama said:
I remember it very well.
I also remember a team meeting before the game where Fergie said to the group "Kharlomov is limping like hell. Don't go out of your way, but if you are near him, give his ankle a 'tickle'". He was staring right at Clarkie when he said it.
Clarke took the message very seriously, apparently.
I abhor those kind of tactics to win a game. But would I rather that Bobby Clarke did not do it, and that Canada lost the series?
I honestly don't know the answer to that question, guys.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I was three years old back then so I didn't see the games (maybe they were not even televised in Finland?), but I recently bought the 4 DVD set containing all eight games. Come rainy days and I'll watch them :)

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
reaper said:
Yea, we lost a game and we suck, great math there kid. Sweden is like third best nation through history behind russia and canada :eek: :teach: :sarcasm:

Kid. I like that. Great avatar, by the way.

3rd best nation? I beg to differ. How many Worlds/Wold Cup/Olympic Gold Medals has Sweden won? I MIGHT be mistaken, but Czechoslovakia/Czech republic/Slovakia could be there. If I recall, they were the 2nd best team after the USSR in the 70's, 3rd in the 80's, one if not the best in the late 90's...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
After watching that video, it really cuts the feet from IIHF's credibility. Everyone with two eyes and atleast average intelligence can tell that Nash definetly broke one of the most fundamental rules in hockey, he didn't do it once, he didn't do it twice, he did it THREE times (2 hooks and a shove). There's enough offense to suspend him for the rest of the tournament, regardless of which rulebook (IIHF vs. NHL) is used.

This is just another example of IIHF bending backwards when it comes to north-americans, whether it's the transfer fees or refereeing, north-american teams get favored all the time.

Remember Helsinki '97? Canada played one the dirtiest games ever in modern WCH history, there were so many blatant cheapshots from Primeau's whack to the groin of a czech in a face-off to Nolan's Bertuzzi-like suckerpunch to Cory Cross's boarding of Nylander.

All of these were worth of game misconducts, nobody got them. Ok so the reffing is also horrible but all three examples would have resulted suspensions in the NHL.

Head coach of Finland said exactly the same after Finland-Canada game, the ref was so afraid of the canadian bench that he didn't have the balls to warn them about after-the-whistle scrums but he went several times to finnish bench to do that (despite Canadians initiating most scrums). Kris Draper alone should have been sent to sin bin three times in the last period for after-the-whistles punches at Jokinen.

North-Americans can deny this all they want but it's a fact, those who have been following WCH tournaments regularly know this and it's accepted as part of the game. Unfortunate but true.

Oil_slick9416*

Pepper said:
After watching that video, it really cuts the feet from IIHF's credibility. Everyone with two eyes and atleast average intelligence can tell that Nash definetly broke one of the most fundamental rules in hockey, he didn't do it once, he didn't do it twice, he did it THREE times (2 hooks and a shove). There's enough offense to suspend him for the rest of the tournament, regardless of which rulebook (IIHF vs. NHL) is used.

This is just another example of IIHF bending backwards when it comes to north-americans, whether it's the transfer fees or refereeing, north-american teams get favored all the time.

Remember Helsinki '97? Canada played one the dirtiest games ever in modern WCH history, there were so many blatant cheapshots from Primeau's whack to the groin of a czech in a face-off to Nolan's Bertuzzi-like suckerpunch to Cory Cross's boarding of Nylander.

All of these were worth of game misconducts, nobody got them. Ok so the reffing is also horrible but all three examples would have resulted suspensions in the NHL.

Head coach of Finland said exactly the same after Finland-Canada game, the ref was so afraid of the canadian bench that he didn't have the balls to warn them about after-the-whistle scrums but he went several times to finnish bench to do that (despite Canadians initiating most scrums). Kris Draper alone should have been sent to sin bin three times in the last period for after-the-whistles punches at Jokinen.

North-Americans can deny this all they want but it's a fact, those who have been following WCH tournaments regularly know this and it's accepted as part of the game. Unfortunate but true.

it's a man's sport, it's tough game.

rick nash wasn't suspended, your whinning won't help, get over it and move on buddy it happened 4 days ago.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Oil_slick9416 said:
it's a man's sport, it's tough game.

rick nash wasn't suspended, your whinning won't help, get over it and move on buddy it happened 4 days ago.

So I take it you had the same reaction to Gretzky's whine-a-thon in 2002?

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Same thing every tourney...Canada is getting ripped in the press...I think it has more to do with the fact that Canada is going to win this thing than anything else.
61 is the best player in the tourney...he obviously is playing with alot of energy/confidence...he did a bad thing...he got away with it...and now Canada is going to bring the Big Red Carnivore to the table...for a Golden Meal.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
deandebean said:
Parize was one of them, I think. Same for Richard Martin. Or was it Gilbert Perreault...Can't remember.
Actually, Perreault, Martin, Jerry Korab and Vic Hadfield were the guys that left.
ALL were *****ing about lack of ice time (before the series, everybody was promised some ice time, which changed quickly when the Soviets smoked Canada in Game 1). Perreault and Martin got some bad advice from their Sabres coach Punch Imlach, who told them to fly the coop if Canada did not want to play them...they could get in shape better at the Sabres training camp, in his opinion. Hadfield was sour throughout the series; he was an NHL all-star playing behind less-acclaimed players like Dennis Hull, Ron Ellis, J.P. Parise and others. Sinden did not like Vic, and Hadfield took off because he was pissed. I believe Korab had issues with his wife, she hated staying in Russia...in any event he was never going to play in Moscow,anyway.
I guarantee not one player left because he felt they were playing too dirty or too tough or whatever.

Last edited:

Oil_slick9416*

Epsilon said:
So I take it you had the same reaction to Gretzky's whine-a-thon in 2002?

the salt lake city team very overrated...they played 2 good games one in the quater finals against finland and the gold medal game vs the US. the one against the czech was pretty good to put otherwise that team deserved all the roasting it got.

gretzky went overboard with his us against the world speech. but it woke the team the up. but that isn't the topic o this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad