Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Oil_slick9416 said:
the salt lake city team very overrated...they played 2 good games one in the quater finals against finland and the gold medal game vs the US. the one against the czech was pretty good to put otherwise that team deserved all the roasting it got.

gretzky went overboard with his us against the world speech. but it woke the team the up. but that isn't the topic o this thread.
Over rated? Omigod...Find me a team anywhere,that played better than that teams' Gold Medal game effort. So much energy around the game...nobody was going to touch Team Canada in that tourney.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Everest said:
Over rated? Omigod...Find me a team anywhere,that played better than that teams' Gold Medal game effort. So much energy around the game...nobody was going to touch Team Canada in that tourney.

For a team that "nobody was going to touch" they sure took a sound beating in their first game, then played two fairly uninspired games to finish the round robin. Outside of the gold-medal game that team wasn't really anything special. You make it sound like they rolled over their competition like the 2005 WJC team did or something.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Holy crap, I just saw the video:eek:

How the hell is Nash not thrown out of that game and the tournament? You just don't touch an official in that manner and he did it twice. Just brutal and I've lost alot of respect for Nash.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
I can't believe Nash wasnt suspended, its beyond outrageous and i'm Canadian and a Nash fan. You have to protect the refs , it is not soccer. What bugs me is that the IIHF did nothing and the Swedes did something. This has nothing to do with the Swedes winning the game or losing a player so why do that? Hurt team Canada? Get rid of the best player of the Tournament? Don't tell me that it was for the good of the game cuz i don't buy it.

Oil_slick9416*

Epsilon said:
For a team that "nobody was going to touch" they sure took a sound beating in their first game, then played two fairly uninspired games to finish the round robin. Outside of the gold-medal game that team wasn't really anything special. You make it sound like they rolled over their competition like the 2005 WJC team did or something.

they buzzed against the finnish... hurme keep the game close. canada dominated tha game. that team overrated. very. they played 2 good games(Finland, USA) good games. played 2 bad games (Sweden, Germany) and 2 marginal games( czechs and belarus) that is not steamrolling anyone and no doubt luck played a part in getting to the gold medal game.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
deandebean said:
Agree.
Agree on the swedish team. Still sucks. Always will. But the Finns impress me.

Our canadian team is missing wayyyyyy too much talent up front to even think about competing at the international level.

That's what I meant to say. Every team is lacking too much talent. Every single one.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Epsilon said:
You can play the Salt Lake Olympics over and over...Canada wins it everytime...Sweden maybe does'nt lost to Belarus,USA maybe doesn't make the final...but Canada wins it everytime...
Next topic: Nash Incident: 2 things...Nash should be suspended...(maybe he'll face consequences yet,despite the intitial announcement)...Also: The ref. who was involved should be suspended for the remainder of the tournament...to avoid further problems. This Ref. is obviously incompetent,he can't even protect himself! Send him home!!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Oil_slick9416 said:
they buzzed against the finnish... hurme keep the game close. canada dominated tha game. that team overrated. very. they played 2 good games(Finland, USA) good games. played 2 bad games (Sweden, Germany) and 2 marginal games( czechs and belarus) that is not steamrolling anyone and no doubt luck played a part in getting to the gold medal game.

Agreed.

Had Sweden beaten Belarus, then that semi-final would have been a lot more interesting.

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
After seeing the video, I just can't believe that Nash wasn't suspended for at least a game.

What's even more shocking, to me, is that Nash didn't even apologise or acknowledge that his behaviour was out of line.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Egil said:
If Canada wields so much power within the IIHF, then why are the World Championships not a) later and b) ever in NA?
Because NA never bids. Canada was awarded the 2008 WCh on its first bid.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Boucicaut said:
So I missunderstood. My bad.

Actually quite a lot of people remember the Kharlamov incident. The younger generation doesn't, generally speaking, but older people do.

I hate making excuses for this behaviour, because you're all right - that has no place in hockey. But, one also has to consider the political implications of that Series. It was much more than a hockey tournament.

I'm not nearly old enough to have watched it but that wasn't just a victory for Canada, it was a victory for the West.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Russians contributed to some questionable on-ice antics as well.

Dion Mustard*

Oil_slick9416 said:
gretzky went overboard with his us against the world speech. but it woke the team the up. but that isn't the topic o this thread.

Actually, if memory serves me correct, the team didn't hear his rant until a few days later and after their turn around. They had isolated themselves from the media, and had pretty much blocked out the outside World. Most of the guys on the team (Sakic, Yzerman, Blake) said the turn around was duty to the leadership their captain provided.

As for the topic this thread is about. I just saw the replay, and there is no way in the world Nash should have got off scott free. At minimum, that is a fine. But in reality, it's atleast a 1 or 2 game suspension. He not only hooked the ref twice, but he punched/pushed the linesman.

I know Canada gets the shaft on calls in these events, but they got away with one there. That was a classless act.

Dion Mustard*

jcpenny said:
Can somebody tell me what was he mad about?

His coached asked him to backcheck or he'd be benched.

No seriously. From what TSN talked about. Nash took a tripping penalty that basically killed the momentum they had to try and win the game. It was a weak call because the ref was out of position when he made the call (he didn't see the whole play as his back was to Nash when the Swede "fell").

It doesn't really matter though. Don't ever make contact with an official. Not once, not twice, and certainly not 3 times.

Oil_slick9416*

Dion Mustard said:
His coached asked him to backcheck or he'd be benched.

No seriously. From what TSN talked about. Nash took a tripping penalty that basically killed the momentum they had to try and win the game. It was a weak call because the ref was out of position when he made the call (he didn't see the whole play as his back was to Nash when the Swede "fell").

It doesn't really matter though. Don't ever make contact with an official. Not once, not twice, and certainly not 3 times.

actually some swede player pick up thepuck and tossed it out of the zone...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Oil_slick9416 said:
actually some swede player pick up thepuck and tossed it out of the zone...
You're both right. Nash was very frustrated with the officials as the game wound down due to the call against him and the no call against the Swede. He was trying to get the ref's attention when he hooked him. No matter what the circumstance, it was still inexusable on Nash's part.

Brian Burke said that would have been a suspension in the NHL.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Psycho Joe said:
You're both right. Nash was very frustrated with the officials as the game wound down due to the call against him and the no call against the Swede. He was trying to get the ref's attention when he hooked him. No matter what the circumstance, it was still inexusable on Nash's part.

Brian Burke said that would have been a suspension in the NHL.

Yea the the NHL official would have also had the balls to eject him right there. Unless that ref didnt know the rules for contact with an official so he didnt do anything (Which i doubt)

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Boomhower said:
It wouldn't have been the first time Nash were suspended for abuse of an official.
61 is a "Ref-beater?" Is there a "help group" he can join for his affliction?
Bulanov should have blown the play dead when the Swedish player grabbed the puck and tossed it out of the zone. 61 was trying (along with every other player on the ice)to get his attention(the wrong way)but Bulanov was obviously not about to be disturbed from his slumber.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Vikke said:
IIHF's vice president said that it was obviously not intentional. Someone give him a pair of new glasses? :D
While your at it..Grab Bulanov a set of quad-focals too!!

Captain Leaf

I saw the video and i cant belive its even an issue ..he hooked the ref to get his attention and shrugged off a linseman ..big whoop.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Captain Leaf said:
I saw the video and i cant belive its even an issue ..he hooked the ref to get his attention and shrugged off a linseman ..big whoop.

Referee is UNTOUCHABLE. End of story. Could you imagine every player hooking the ref to get his attention in the middle of the game???????

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Captain Leaf said:
I'll assume you are being sarcastic. When was the last time you have seen a referee hooked? If it wasn't such an idiotic move it might actually be funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad