Nash and the Ref?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
After reviewing the incident, the IIHF concluded the contact with the official was not deliberate. .

What a JOKE!!! What are they SCARED to suspend him so they come to that conclusion? Hahha the IIHF is a complete joke from this point on. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
reaper said:
Ok, no hard feelings then :) Maybe they are afraid of meeting Nash in the final :dunno: IIHF has decided so let's get over this. Was bad move but Nash but hopefully he learned his lesson, if not he will in the NHL ;)

Learned what lesson?? There was no consquences from what he did so I guess that is allowed in WC play. :shakehead

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
What's even more pathetic is the way that Nash and Bob Nicholson both try to brush it off in that TSN article. The least they could do is show some class and apologise, which doesn't seem like much to ask for considering no punishment was given when one was clearly warranted.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
A big part of the decision to NOT suspend him came from the ref himself. If he would have filed a complaint or penalized Nash, he would have been suspended for sure. But since the ref himself didn't think it warranted a penalty or any further discipline, the IIHF will let it go.

After seeing the incident he should have got a suspension for the hook. The push seemed unintentional, he turned into the linesman and probably didn't even know right away that he was an official.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Well, hopefully he got a can of whoopass opened on him from the own players and the coach, if not it's too bad. Think they could at least suspend him one game to show they take it seriously but would be a shame if he missed all championships.

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Gosh. Should have already gotten used to the fact that North-American teams get special treatment, but still this incident once again leaves bitter taste to my mouth :shakehead

Jaysfanatic*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
What a JOKE!!! What are they SCARED to suspend him so they come to that conclusion? Hahha the IIHF is a complete joke from this point on. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

:dunno: I never even said what you quoted son!

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
TSN just showed it during the Finnish-Latvian game.

He skated from infront of the net, to the corner as the ref was skating up the ice, and hooked him around the waist trying to get his attention. Then the linesman came in and Nash pushed him away.

I'd give him a game for that and as Burke says, now that everyone knows about it, Canada is going to be on a short-leash.

Certainly doesn't warrant a tournament wide ban as some over-zealous fans would suggest.

It still irks me that some would judge without seeing it though, the bias in here is unreal. Had it been a Fin or a Swede, I doubt that you all would be so quick to judge.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Learned what lesson?? There was no consquences from what he did so I guess that is allowed in WC play. :shakehead

Serious or not, but unfortunately the incident also sends a message to young players that refs are not untouchable anymore.

Recently there's been talk about cleaning hockey, but it seems to be more hot air than anything else. 'No action' seems to be the policy. Pretty pathetic.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Noutaja said:
Gosh. Should have already gotten used to the fact that North-American teams get special treatment, but still this incident once again leaves bitter taste to my mouth :shakehead

Special treatment? It's our game, yet we play on your ice. It's our game, yet we play with your rules. It's our game, yet we play with your refs.

How on earth do we get special treatment? We get penalties for hitting people too hard...enough said.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Devilsfanatic said:
:dunno: I never even said what you quoted son!

Oops, i just pressed the quote button on a random post to get the quote things so I could put that quote from the article in there...forgot to delete your name. lol

reaper

May 1, 2005
That's what I think also. Hockey is almost too tough these days. Not any room for the small speedbullets or technical players that aren't that big. Even a big technical player like Peter Forsberg gets tackled to pieces. I think we need to go back to basics here and give some more room for the Forsberg's and Lindros's etc etc. Nice hard tackles are perfectly OK but give longer penaltys for ugly situations like crosschecking and tackling with knee. And more suspensions if players don't follow rules. I don't enjoy hockey in NHL as much because of the situation that is now.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Nash is just an idiot as that guy during the summit of 1972. Canadinas really showed a lot of respect to the Moscow crowd . Classless act as always. Too much Sudafed for Nash if you ask me.

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
FLYLine4LIFE said:

Niklas Wikegård, Swedish studio expert and Djurgården head coach, response after he saw the interview with the IIHF's representative was "Bulls**t!". Live on TV... :biglaugh:

What he also said is that "Everybody knows that Canada have all the power in the hockey world. If a Ukraine player did that he would be suspended in a heartbeat".

Personally I feel the whole thing is embarrasing for the IIHF. They could have suspended him for the game against the Ukraine, where Canada wouldn't miss him, and save face...

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
BigE said:
Special treatment? It's our game, yet we play on your ice. It's our game, yet we play with your rules. It's our game, yet we play with your refs.

How on earth do we get special treatment? We get penalties for hitting people too hard...enough said.

It's your game?!?!? :loony:

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
To follow up on what I said. It's clear to me that this situation is a result of the player and not necessarily the country. Had it been another star player, leading the tournament in goals and points, but from another country, the same decision would have been made.

There is a fine line between contact and intent to harm. Nash wasn't trying to harm and that is more than likely the excuse of the IIHF.

Again, I don't like the decision but that's how it is. Don't give me this, just because it's Canada ******** because that isn't going to fly. I could just as easily give you a 15 penalty sob-story from one of our many international games but no one wants to hear it.

Shut-up and play hockey.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
Just from the pictures it appears Nash should have gotten at the least a one game suspension (and this coming from a Columbus, 61 fan).

Rick made a mistake and I bet he realized it the very second it was all over. For those who have met him or know him he is a very, very humble kid. Almost shy to a point, so in all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if he exchanged words with the ref after realizing what a boneheaded move he did. He's grounded in reality but unfortunately got caught up in the moment of a potential late comeback that was thwarted due to a tossed puck.

Should he have been suspended? Yes. Does he deserves this type of ridicule, categorization because the IIHF didn't step up and do what they should have? No.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
If Canada wields so much power within the IIHF, then why are the World Championships not a) later and b) ever in NA? And why does the IIHF use a bigger rink than we do here? Why does the IIHF not have a redline? Why does Canada invariably get called for more penalties than the other teams?

I think the sugestion that because it was "Canada" that the IIHF did what they did is absurd. How can you suspend someone for abuse of the GAME official if the GAME official didn't call it? It is ABSURD to expect a suspension for something the GAME OFFICIAL didn't care about.

Badman

Jul 10, 2004
Stavanger, Norway
Westlander said:
Um...yes. Or did hockey come from Norway?

Canada invented the game, that doesn't mean it's yours. BigE seems to think that it's unfair that Canada has to play games on neutral ice, with neutral refs and rules decided upon by all hockey playing nations, because it's Canadas game...

I don't think there is another sport in the world where two of the three biggest international tournaments are refereed by referees from just one of the particapating countries. If England suggested that all referees in the soccer World Cup should be english, because England invented soccer, UEFA would laugh right in their face!

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
BigE said:

So everybody that plays hockey should bow down to Canada for allowing them to play "your" game.

Sounds like insecurity to me.

Grow up. :shakehead

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
BigE said:

Canada and US have had at least the same influence upon the rules of international hockey than any European country. There are also North American refs.

BigE said:

Uhm, there our opinions are obviously so far apart that there is no reason to start futile argument.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Badman said:
Canada invented the game, that doesn't mean it's yours. BigE seems to think that it's unfair that Canada has to play games on neutral ice, with neutral refs and rules decided upon by all hockey playing nations, because it's Canadas game...

I don't think there is another sport in the world where two of the three biggest international tournaments are refereed by referees from just one of the particapating countries. If England suggested that all referees in the soccer World Cup should be english, because England invented soccer, UEFA would laugh right in their face!
NHL refs are used in the World Cup of Hockey because they are the best refs in the world. I don't think you can argue that. It was a decision made by all of the participating countries, not just the North American teams.
Or do you honestly think the refs at these world championships keep a better grip on things than NHL refs.
If you think these refs are excellent, then clearly Nash should get no penalty, because that is how the referee of record saw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->