Online Series: Narcos

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't see how folks can see any similarities between Breaking Bad and Narcos. Both shows are about drug trafficking. That's the only similarity and its pretty much inconsequential.

I agree. Breaking Bad had characters that were interesting.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its out now.
started the first two episodes... i like where this is going. i mean its the same formula, but new and more known names makes it interesting. (for me )

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I watched it and as far as an enjoyable entertaining series goes it hits the mark. But then after you realise these are real people and it feels like they're getting glorified and romanticized and it feels gross. They tried way too hard to make gallardo,rafa and don whatever his face was too likable. They pretty much took the blame off them for the main death in the series in one way or another or at the very least just reluctant co- conspirators forced into by happenstance.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I watched it and as far as an enjoyable entertaining series goes it hits the mark. But then after you realise these are real people and it feels like they're getting glorified and romanticized and it feels gross. They tried way too hard to make gallardo,rafa and don whatever his face was too likable. They pretty much took the blame off them for the main death in the series in one way or another or at the very least just reluctant co- conspirators forced into by happenstance.
It was Don Neto. If you liked those characters and sympathized with them, the problem is with you. You could have just as easily took a liking to the DEA agents over the Narcos. Besides Rafa was not likable at all.

They basically stuck to what actually happened in real life. I noticed they introduced El Chapo as a minor character which everyone knows he eventually won't be. So probably setting him up for season 2 or 3. Season 1 covers up until 85 and El Chapo doesn't become co-leader of the Sinaloa cartel until 89. So 4 years still to cover.

I think the Mexico series is far less violent than the original.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It was Don Neto. If you liked those characters and sympathized with them, the problem is with you. You could have just as easily took a liking to the DEA agents over the Narcos. Besides Rafa was not likable at all.

They basically stuck to what actually happened in real life. I noticed they introduced El Chapo as a minor character which everyone knows he eventually won't be. So probably setting him up for season 2 or 3. Season 1 covers up until 85 and El Chapo doesn't become co-leader of the Sinaloa cartel until 89. So 4 years still to cover.

I think the Mexico series is far less violent than the original.
I didn't say I liked them. I said they were trying really hard to make them likable. They tried to make Rafa into this poor peasant who just really loved his plants and his gf but was corrupted by cocaine and wanted to kick it but the devil powder just wouldn't let him go and was tricked into the kidnapping by the dudes in the capital.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I didn't say I liked them. I said they were trying really hard to make them likable. They tried to make Rafa into this poor peasant who just really loved his plants and his gf but was corrupted by cocaine and wanted to kick it but the devil powder just wouldn't let him go and was tricked into the kidnapping by the dudes in the capital.
That may very well be the truth about Rafa.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That may very well be the truth about Rafa.
You need to look up Rafa he wasn't just some yokel farmer that was a gallardo puppy. He was an actual partner and had a huge operation with many grow sites before the partnership. This guy isn't the simpleton they portray him as.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
You need to look up Rafa he wasn't just some yokel farmer that was a gallardo puppy. He was an actual partner and had a huge operation with many grow sites before the partnership. This guy isn't the simpleton they portray him as.
They don't portray him as a simpleton, not in my eyes. Growing and selling weed is far different than trafficking cocaine. In the show he was against it. He was also one of the more violent characters. Did you forget the two Americans he killed in the restaurant? That really happened.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
he had a love for his product, but even in the show he was an idiot. (kidnaping the girl, killing the tourists, using his gun in the bar because of jealousy, major coke addiction.) i dont see him as likeable from any point of view.

finished the series. really less violent, but i suppose shit is getting started.
timeline wise el Chapo should become alot more ambitious next season... no need to stretch it that long.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Really liking the series so far. They're sticking to the winning formula and it's working, despite a bit of a slower burn then previous seasons. I do think as we move into El Chapo for next season, things will get more violent and bloody. He was known for being especially brutal, so it should be fun.

Also just finished episode 5. Loved the little easter eggs there :D

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
he had a love for his product, but even in the show he was an idiot. (kidnaping the girl, killing the tourists, using his gun in the bar because of jealousy, major coke addiction.) i dont see him as likeable from any point of view.

finished the series. really less violent, but i suppose **** is getting started.
timeline wise el Chapo should become alot more ambitious next season... no need to stretch it that long.

I think the problem is the show focused mainly on the last portion of their time in power and the problems that came with it. Early on Rafa was not an idiot and responsible for the entire grow operation, creating the strain that is popular today.

I don't know if Rafa was really that messed up towards the end. These kingpins seem to always have someone close to them that goes off the rails. The main differences with Felix and so many others is he seemed more business focused and rarely connected to any deaths until the end.

Last edited:

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the story is just starting in mexico. he will become more violent as the States start putting pressure on Mexico's government.
Rafa killing the tourists and the DEA agent getting murdered is the start of the shitty times.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I don't feel like they were glorified one bit - it's based on a true story. The life they created seemed stressful, dangerous and completely isolated. They all played a role for what ended up happening. What I also liked is they really included the corruption by the government. Anyways, many criminals are "likeable" or at least charismatic. That's part of their success. What's interesting is this story starts with a drug that is becoming legal and more accepted in North America.

For everything Felix did or accomplish there were almost zero moments that he actually enjoyed it. El Chapo should be really good. I was surprised how Felix ends up in this series. If you were writing this shit you wouldn't believe it.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
it wasnt becoming more legal or accepted in 1986.
its just that moving 3 tons of coke, over 3 pounds of weed is a shit ton of more money.
(basicaly why sinsemilla got them there. it was much better product sure. but it was smaller to pack, so you could move more.)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The thing I never quite understood about these wealthy traffickers is why they don't just quit while they're ahead

If they've got hundreds of millions of dollars in an offshore account, why continue to risk it all by staying in the game?

They've won. Go enjoy retirement!

It's like those people who win the lottery, but don't quit their job as a janitor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad