Movies: Napoleon (NOV 2023)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How long is this going to be? You see him quelling revolt in Paris during the revolution, his campaign in Egypt, his coup, various battles against European's I'm assuming before and after said coup, and throw in some romance too. And of course if you want to tell the full story you have to move to the disastrous invasion of Russia followed by being defeated by the British.

Just a lot of historical events to tick off for a movie.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How long is this going to be? You see him quelling revolt in Paris during the revolution, his campaign in Egypt, his coup, various battles against European's I'm assuming before and after said coup, and throw in some romance too. And of course if you want to tell the full story you have to move to the disastrous invasion of Russia followed by being defeated by the British.

It's 2 hours and 38 minutes... and you just gave away the ending. :sarcasm:

At least it's nice to finally get a movie in which the main character's Waterloo just so happens to be the actual Waterloo.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The frozen lake/cannon balls scene looks cool. Ultimately, while I enjoy movies like this and will see it-how many other people will? Seems like a financial loser with a limited audience which is more a vanity project for the director/lead actor. Probably get some Oscar noms. Obviously, this isn't a revelation as many/most such films aren't exactly box office friendly but with tightening purse strings I can't imagine we will see too my more of these types of films. I can't wait to see how much Megalopolis loses....

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

I think it will be a figurative "prequel". No invasion of Russia, Elba or Waterloo, more the rise to power.

Probably a wise decision storytelling wise. You could make a whole 5 season show out of the Napolean story.

I like a story I heard by William Goldman (writer of Princess Bride, All the President's Men, etc.) He was working with Richard Attenborough on the Downey Jr. Chaplin, who had a dream that the movie would end with Chaplin returning to US and getting his lifetime achievement at the Oscars. Goldman told him bruh how you are going to tell 80 years of events in one movie. Goldman said his idea was to make it so the last scene of the movie is Chaplin becoming the tramp and concentrate the story on his early life and relationship with his mom who was a vaudeville performer who was put in an asylum at one point. Attenborough went with his original version which is 60% on RT and mostly remembered for Downey Jr performance.

As a recent example I think Elvis is better if they just started it in Vegas. I don't need the 5 minute montage of Colonel Parker saying "we wentz to Hollywood and made lotz of money!" and giving almost no time to meeting Priscilla. The whole theme the movie of managers exploiting artists is all there in Vegas arc.

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I agree on the trailer, but the casting is intriguing.
Mads Mikkellsen needs to play Bonny

1689029088394.png

1689029128510.png

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think it will be a figurative "prequel". No invasion of Russia, Elba or Waterloo, more the rise to power.

Probably a wise decision storytelling wise. You could make a whole 5 season show out of the Napolean story.

I like a story I heard by William Goldman (writer of Princess Bride, All the President's Men, etc.) He was working with Richard Attenborough on the Downey Jr. Chaplin, who had a dream that the movie would end with Chaplin returning to US and getting his lifetime achievement at the Oscars. Goldman told him bruh how you are going to tell 80 years of events in one movie. Goldman said his idea was to make it so the last scene of the movie is Chaplin becoming the tramp and concentrate the story on his early life and relationship with his mom who was a vaudeville performer who was put in an asylum at one point. Attenborough went with his original version which is 60% on RT and mostly remembered for Downey Jr performance.

As a recent example I think Elvis is better if they just started with him starting in Vegas. I don't need the 5 minute montage of Colonel Parker saying "we wentz to Hollywood and made lotz of money!" and giving almost no time to meeting Priscilla. The whole theme the movie of managers exploiting artists is all there in Vegas arc.
Dewey Cox needs to think about his entire life before he plays.

• Haha
Reactions: HanSolo

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Looks all grey and monotone like someone sucked out the saturation. Too polished/unnatural. Ridley Scott made The Duellists in 1977 and it was gorgeous so what a shame about this trend.

Reactions: SniperHF

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
This is my most anticipated movie of the year.

Ridley Scott is so good at giving the settings of his movies a sense of realism. I can't wait to see him bring 18/19th century Europe to life.

And of course Phoenix is a great actor who's fit for this role. He'll be playing one of the most interesting historical figures of all time.

What's not to like?

I'm not even going to watch the previews. I going to go into the theater having seen nothing.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The frozen lake/cannon balls scene looks cool. Ultimately, while I enjoy movies like this and will see it-how many other people will? Seems like a financial loser with a limited audience which is more a vanity project for the director/lead actor. Probably get some Oscar noms. Obviously, this isn't a revelation as many/most such films aren't exactly box office friendly but with tightening purse strings I can't imagine we will see too my more of these types of films. I can't wait to see how much Megalopolis loses....
Dude I'm so stoked for Megalopolis.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My father was a French historian who specialized in this period. One thing people don't know is that for his time Napoleon was average height.
It was compounded by the fact that the English and French had different measurement systems where the French inch was slightly bigger than the English, so he may have been listed as 5'2" or so in the French convention and the English read that in French documents and thought he was tiny, when in reality he was probably around 5'7" in the English measurement system. Still short, but more average for his day given the lack of nutrition and such.

Reactions: DaveG

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I watched one review on the covenant, and just f***ing laughed a lot. After that, it's out of the question for me to watch any of his movies, the dude is just a clown

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I watched one review on the covenant, and just f***ing laughed a lot. After that, it's out of the question for me to watch any of his movies, the dude is just a clown
I'll still check it out, but I was hoping for a Gladiator like drama, but some reviews Ive read make it sound like it teeters on the line of comedy. Damn.

Sep 19, 2008
Scott is good director and Phoenix is amazing in nearly everything so reviews should be good.

ahh 68% on RT. Seems low.

Don't usually watch non-MCU films in theaters but I've been keeping an eye on this one and I may do it. Although the movie did drop today so I will have to find time during this long Thanksgiving weekend to watch

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
So much production value and money wasted on a boring mess of a film that does not give any historical context and does not even pretend to care about such a pivotal moment of French history.

It is not surprising but still a waste to see an English director decide to make a movie about Napoleon to make him and the French look bad. Just pathetic.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So much production value and money wasted on a boring mess of a film that does not give any historical context and does not even pretend to care about such a pivotal moment of French history.

It is not surprising but still a waste to see an English director decide to make a movie about Napoleon to make him and the French look bad. Just pathetic.
Totally agree with you. The movie is awful and it is boring, a waste of everybody's time.

Full review on movie page.

Last edited:

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
Disappointing, was really looking forward to this one. I'd be curious to see if the 4 hour cut that supposedly will be released on AppleTV will fill in what was lacking.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Ok -- the first hour and a half were pretty good, as non-serious like inglorious bastards. I actually laughed a lot.

The battles were HORRENDOUS. Waterloo both sides dig trenches and then charge, ala braveheart, in the middle. Napoleon leading a cavalry charge at Waterloo. I almost died hahaha

Not even historical fiction - more like alternative fiction.

First hour was pretty good. Didn't think there was much chemistry between the two leads though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad