• Dal in 6

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Dal in 7

Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
May be unpopular, but I believe for the most part coaching is highly overhyped. All a good team needs is someone that can implement a structure and not step on their own feet in regards to 4d chess. We are blessed to have a coach that knows the system we want to play and sticks to it, and holds more accountability to his players than most do in his position. I like bednar because he implements a fast paced game and he’s reserved/well spoken but he won’t be the reason we win or lose this series lol. Just like Deboer won’t be Dallas’s deciding factor.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
May be unpopular, but I believe for the most part coaching is highly overhyped. All a good team needs is someone that can implement a structure and not step on their own feet in regards to 4d chess. We are blessed to have a coach that knows the system we want to play and sticks to it, and holds more accountability to his players than most do in his position. I like bednar because he implements a fast paced game and he’s reserved/well spoken but he won’t be the reason we win or lose this series lol. Just like Deboer won’t be Dallas’s deciding factor.
Read this article, and then come tell us that "coaching is overrated".

Reactions: Salty Shakas

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Read this article, and then come tell us that "coaching is overrated".

First off I want to clarify that coaching is an essential part of a team but is still over exaggerated. Secondly, I’ve read the article already and I stand by my statement. When you are talking about the best coaches in the world, there’s not a lot that separates them. Good on the Avs staff for looking at every potential advantage. I’m also certain they aren’t the only staff that does this. It didn’t help them last year though because they didn’t have the horses. This year could be different and what has changed? Not the coaching staff.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
First off I want to clarify that coaching is an essential part of a team but is still over exaggerated. Secondly, I’ve read the article already and I stand by my statement. When you are talking about the best coaches in the world, there’s not a lot that separates them. Good on the Avs staff for looking at every potential advantage. I’m also certain they aren’t the only staff that does this. It didn’t help them last year though because they didn’t have the horses. This year could be different and what has changed? Not the coaching staff.
I think you make a valid point. It's actually been kinda proven in baseball at least that the manager doesn't matter a whole lot. I think it only really matters if the coach is really terrible. Only two times in recent memory do I recall an outright bad coach winning it all (Berube and Carlyle).

That said, it's nice when coach, management, and ownership all appear to be on the same page. When they aren't and cracks in the firmament start to show, that can, but doesn't always, lead to disaster.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I think you make a valid point. It's actually been kinda proven in baseball at least that the manager doesn't matter a whole lot. I think it only really matters if the coach is really terrible. Only two times in recent memory do I recall an outright bad coach winning it all (Berube and Carlyle).

That said, it's nice when coach, management, and ownership all appear to be on the same page. When they aren't and cracks in the firmament start to show, that can, but doesn't always, lead to disaster.
I totally agree. Bednar is my favourite coach the Avs have ever had. He has everyone on the same page, expectations are played out in a clear manner and he analyzes his opponents well. But many coaches do this, it’s much more about fit between management, coaching staff and players as to their success imo.

Reactions: Salty Shakas

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Guess which coach has a Stanley Cup and which one doesn't?
Craig Berube has a Cup and Maurice doesn't. Berube > Maurice.

(FTR I think Bednar is a better coach than DeBoer, but DeBoer is a very, very good coach)

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011

(FTR I think Bednar is a better coach than DeBoer, but DeBoer is a very, very good coach)
Oh I agree. I've always respected DeBoer as a really good coach.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom

Nonsense, PoMo was holding the Jets back you can see this from how much more successful they’ve been without him and how terrible Florida has been since his arrival :sarcasm:

(I do agree it was time for both parties to move on though)

Reactions: henchman21

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
People worried about DeBoer is like the people who worried about Bowness.

Guys, it was 3 years ago and Bednar was icing a defense featuring Ryan Graves, Patrik Nemeth, and Connor Timmins with Tyson Jost and JT Compher as 2C and 3C.

Relax. He isn't some voodoo magic Bednar kryptonite.
Holy f*** we were bad and I probably didn't even realize.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Hate me all you want, but I thought the Hatcher Stars were cool. Full of memorable players all over the lineup, epic jerseys plus logo, mean and nasty as hell. Felt like crap to drop those conference finals to them though.
Easily done. Hatcher and Ratvichuk were two of the dirtiest hockey players ever! They got away with 200 times the BS that Ryan Suter does night in and night out, they played like NFL linebackers, not NHL defensemen.

And if the useless ass refs of that era (Kerry Fraser, Bill McCreary, & Mick McGeough) had done their fvcking job, which is to enforce the rules of the game, we'd have won several Cups in a row.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
There's part of me that would love to see the Avs slay all of their game 7 demons in this series, but not as big as the part that wants the Avs to win the series in 6 games or less.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
I'm sure that will be the gameplan, but Otter is one of the best goalies in the league on screened shots. Otter's struggles are more related to slot shots than anything else. If you can get to the middle of the ice, you can beat him straight up. If you can seam pass, and get quick shots, you can beat him. If he has time to get squared up, he's very hard to beat even with screens and tips.
Hellie was also difficult to beat in all situations as they said before the playoffs started. Hellie was one of the best goalies during the regular season and Avs still managed to break him in every single game in playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hellie was also difficult to beat in all situations as they said before the playoffs started. Hellie was one of the best goalies during the regular season and Avs still managed to break him in every single game in playoffs.
Yeah Bucky was great… he’s always been weaker on screened shots compared to the league.

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
One thing I thought that the Avs did exceptionally well against Winnipeg is taking away Hellebuyck's eyes and generally getting to the gritty areas of the ice. I think it was telling that Hellebuyck thought he was playing well in the series, but it was what the Avs were doing with traffic that led him to give up so many goals. Is there any reason we can't do similar against Oettinger?

Yeah, Helle was later saying he couldn't see half of the goals that went by him or something. We imposed our will in the crease very effectively.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad