Speculation: Name the players on your team who are likely to be available by the deadline? And what do you think you'll get in return?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'll try Isles. Note this is who I'd make available, not who may be available.

Available, worth talking about:
- Brock Nelson

Available, marginal value:
- Cal Clutterbuck
- Matt Martin (he's still an enforcer who won't hurt a team to dress when necessary)

Available, negative value:
- Kyle Palmieri

I don't think NYI will deal Anders Lee (his contract is too much of a negative, and he's worth more to NYI than it'd cost them to move out).

I don't think it's worth paying to send out JGP (He's had an awful year, but he still skates fine, and wins draws.)

Varlamov has a full NTC for this year and next.
As you say, we don't know who is actually available but I'd think there would be some interest in Nelson.

Reactions: Nevins

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Monahan very likely.

Tanner Pearson for sho. A 4th? Done.
Gallagher please take him
David Savard - good chance he doesn't get dealt.

Allen/Primeau.

Maybe some very meh players like Ylonen and Pezzetta.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Savard = 3rd round pick
That's just silly, there's no reason to move one of only 2 veteran D for a middling pick. There's serious consideration in Montreal media about whether he should even be moved for a 1st - ie, his value as a mentor (to a very young team) for the next year is probably more than a 1st.

Another young team in Ottawa is badly looking for "good veteran pros", Montreal will want to avoid the trap of going for a young team, however talented it might be.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
:flyers

Rentals:
Walker
Seeler

Have extra year(s)
Laughton
Hathaway
Atkinson

Ristolainen (I guess he's available but it will be hard to move him with his contract)

Contact Briere for price details.
1-800-NEW-ERA-OF-ORANGE
Honestly Atkinson being traded with another year of term would surprise me. He is a Tortorella guy from Columbus. Not saying untouchable by any means, I would just be surprised
:bolts

Who i hope is available (what i would like to see in return):
Sheary - Anything to help the bottom 6
De Haan - Throw in as cap space
Cernak - Combo of cheap 1-2 year dman thats serviceable in a 4/5 role, Middle 6 forward, Decent prospect or high picks
Cirelli - Young middle 6 forward or established top 6 forward, picks and prospects
Barre-Boulet - Waiver exempt forward for Syracuse

Who i could see being available for the right price:
Isaac Howard
Ethan Gauthier
Niko Huuhtanen
It would be pretty shitty of Tampa to trade Cernak year one of his eight year extension.

Isn't that what Cirelli is currently?

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
That's just silly, there's no reason to move one of only 2 veteran D for a middling pick. There's serious consideration in Montreal media about whether he should even be moved for a 1st - ie, his value as a mentor (to a very young team) for the next year is probably more than a 1st.

Another young team in Ottawa is badly looking for "good veteran pros", Montreal will want to avoid the trap of going for a young team, however talented it might be.
One of the things that hockey fans do the most is overvaluing the players of their favorite team but especially overvaluing the value of a draft pick.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Vegas

Don't have much, but we do have 50 contacts already and like 11 defensemen when healthy and only Korczak doesn't need waivers.

If we make a deadline deal a contract will have to go, but even outside of that I think closer to when Hutton and Theodore are due back that two of Pachal/Bjornfot/Miromanov could be available due to the glut of defense we have this season and the 8 (including Cormier) already signed for next year.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Kuzmenko/ Mikheyev. That's all (maybe Myers if they really want to shed him and get a pick if they can get another top-4 D).

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
I can't imagine Pittsburgh selling this year or next and instead try to make tweaks on the fly going into the end of this year then again in the off-season when the cap goes up and the Carter contract is off the books at years end. I think they resign Jake knowing they can trade him, and EK, two years from now and still pull in a good haul for both.

This year
Smith - gone, good player, just not a good fit. Will look great on some playoff team out there. (Honestly he'd be great on Vancouver)

POJ - gone, looked good last year for decent stretches, regressed this year with Sullivan yanking him around, he's never going to get a real chance, move him while he might have a little value.

Neito - gone, was good cheap depth in previous years, didn't start to remotely look like the player that was advertised until right before he got hurt. Pens are better served sticking with puusy or giving poulin and pool party a shot

Carter - gone if the pens retain at 50 % and he waives for one last run. There's always an old guy that gets moved thinking they will inspire by running themselves into the ground one last time.

Unexpected trade candidate
Rust - older than Jake, but still productive, great rep in the league, decent contract for his production, might waive if he could get moved to a team that has an open window to win. Since they won't dump Sullivan, trading rust could be the shake up the team thinks they need to get back in track.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Where did I say we should keep husso and/or reimer?

Where did I say that that was your opinion?

I am glad you want to keep husso and reimer. I guess we can agree to disagree there.

I think it's funny that you interpreted my saying that we wouldn't pay for Markstrom/Saros/Vejmelka as the same thing as "We should keep Husso and/or Reimer".

Those two are not remotely close to the same thing.

This post was not that difficult to understand...

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
:wings

Active roster:
Sprong
Veleno
Maatta
Gostisbehere
Holl
Reimer
Kane (if the team is in no mans land by the end of February/early March)
Fabbri (if the team is in no mans land by the end of February/early March)

Prospects:
Berggren
Soderblom
Wallinder
Johansson
Hanas

Picks: any this year that don't belong to Ottawa

What Detroit could use is an upgrade to top 6 LW and top 4 LD.

I know of a pretty good LD upgrade that's free, but for some reason we're gonna sit on that egg until it's hatched and a full grown hen laying eggs of its own lol.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Ok, so then just a 2nd to 4th round pick?
Or more likely some other "change of scenery" asset who the scouting staff is willing to take a look at? :dunno: The Preds do have a ton of picks already, so stocking up on more is also probably not too likely. It's more of a valuation measuring stick here than a likely return. But either way, getting an established player with term left like Ceci wouldn't be a draw either.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Sharks:

Barabanov - 3rd
Kahkonen - 2nd or 3rd
Duclair - 3rd
Ferraro? - 1st, if even sold
Hoffman - Nothing
Labanc - Nothing
MacDonald - 4th or 5th

Just alot of meh. I'd just take what we can get and let the young guys get some experience at the end of the year.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Question to Pens fans I never see much discussion on:

SJ owns your first this year if it's 11-32 (currently 13th overall). If you sell this year and end up drafting top-10, how do you feel about giving up an uprotected 1st next year? Would Dubas try and improve in the offseason?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Pearson and Armia have 0 value, maybe Pearson retained at 50 for a 7th rounder.

Savard = 3rd round pick

Monahan = 2nd rounder + a low ceiling prospect

Highly unlikely anyone trades their 1st for Monahan. They might as well be going for Lindholm (despite the lower point totals he’s the better player).

Honestly, Armia i would let go for future considerations (man that player gets traded a lot) even if it takes retention.

I find 2nd rounder plus B prospect is probably close to a 1st in terms of value. I mean, the team picking up Monahan would pick in the bottom 10 of the draft anyways. In fact, i wonder if some GMs wouldnt prefer a deal with a prospect that is somewhat of a known value , mixed in with a more risky pick instead of a end of the first round pick that has no guarantee of turning into a worthwhile asset.

I respectfully disagree with the Savard for a 3rd - I wouldnt take that if i was Hughes (so we wouldnt know if you are right unless someone offers more). It's not only for what Savard does and how it is viewed by teams going into the playoffs, but also due to the fact that TDLs are all about bidding wars. Savard may get a 3rd in the summer, but before the TDL? fuggedaboudit! lol

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Dante Fabbro, RD (2nd-4th round pick? - better player than the Preds seem to think)

I'd do Thomas Bordeleau for Dante Fabbro. Might seem counterproductive but the Sharks will need vets in their lineup and Fabbro is young enough to fit their timeline.

There is a family connection with Bordeleau and he is skilled and young enough for the Preds to be interested. Grier doesn't seem high on the previous regimes drafted players for the most part.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
  • Monahan will be available. HIs value is likely a end of 1st round pick or two end of 2nd round picks or a prospect of equivalent value.
  • Jake Allen i available but i don't see why a team would be interested.
  • Same for Tanner Pearson don't think there will be interest in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad