Proposal: Name Subban next captain of the Canadiens

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Why rock the boat? He's doesn't great as he is, leave his status alone and let him continue to be our #1 defenseman. Whether or not he's playing up to it, Gorges is still our heart and soul guy. Putting a C on him may help him out a bit, as guys with leadership qualities actually thrive when put into that role, and after the season Gorges had, he may actually find some extra motivation to up his game with it. Regardless, Gionta's the captain and he shouldn't lose the C while he's still here, as he's done nothing wrong to deserve having it stripped, and removing that title arbitrarily would be unacceptable.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
In before thread lock after Laboeuf post.

I don't think we'll see anyone named while Gionta is here and Subban is quite young still.

beaverBFP

Dec 24, 2008
Winnipeg
No, not right now. Off ice his personality is perfect for a captain but he has to mature on the ice and learn to refrain himself.

NewbieOfGames

Apr 10, 2013
Québec, CAN
He should be the spokesman for the NHL.

I kind of see Brandon Prust as the guy they would want to put the C on. Markov refused it and likely would again. I don't think as a team they'd pick Subban as the next captain only because they know how much drama gets created not by Subban but by people who aren't fans of his style of game.

To me it's like when Montreal made Chelios a co-captain.

I would see Pleckanec been captain but he refused too. And i dont think we should put Prust as captain. He's more new to the team than Subban is...And what if we put Prust, a third liner fighter...Its like if the penguins putted Matt Cooke instead of Crosby as captain.

NewbieOfGames

Apr 10, 2013
Québec, CAN
Why rock the boat? He's doesn't great as he is, leave his status alone and let him continue to be our #1 defenseman. Whether or not he's playing up to it, Gorges is still our heart and soul guy. Putting a C on him may help him out a bit, as guys with leadership qualities actually thrive when put into that role, and after the season Gorges had, he may actually find some extra motivation to up his game with it. Regardless, Gionta's the captain and he shouldn't lose the C while he's still here, as he's done nothing wrong to deserve having it stripped, and removing that title arbitrarily would be unacceptable.

Gionta...we dont even know if he will be back for the next season...hes got same injury that keep him from playing last full season. Hes old. He might not even come back at all. And anyway, i dont think we need him in the lineup anymore. For real, how can you have leadership when you're one of the most useless guy in the team? He did nothing wrong, he just is bad.

PricePkPatch*

I would see Pleckanec been captain but he refused too. And i dont think we should put Prust as captain. He's more new to the team than Subban is...And what if we put Prust, a third liner fighter...Its like if the penguins putted Matt Cooke instead of Crosby as captain.

You are seriously comparing Matt Cooke to Brandon Prust?

Are you even watching this team?

PricePkPatch*

No i like Prust better, Cooke is somewhat alot more hated because of his antics. But they still similar players, they play on third line, bring physical aspect, maybe Prust is a better playmaker tought.

Cooke is more of an agitator/cheap shot artist than team leader.

PricePkPatch*

If Subban wins another Norris this year he will be captain for sure.

I don't think his skills on the ice should be the sole reason one gains the C.

I never respected Crosby's getting the C so young.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I don't think his skills on the ice should be the sole reason one gains the C.

I never respected Crosby's getting the C so young.

In sports players naturally look to a team's superstar for leadership. He is not always perfect at handling it, but people look anyway. Subban is the superstar. He is best dman in the league and also on the ice half the game.

He is also vocal, so if you DON'T make him captain it will produce friction when he says something and you have guys whose instinct is to look to him and other guys who would be looking to whatever guy had the C.

Also Gorges seems like a dweeb in all his interviews, like Ryan Miller.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Giving the C to a specific player doesn't get any team the cup

I forget where I read it, but I remember someone admitting that the C is just for the fans and for marketing, that's all. I sincerely doubt anything in the room changes because a player now has something stitched on to his jersey.

PricePkPatch*

Giving the C to a specific player doesn't get any team the cup

It can help or be detrimental. It's not like any centre piece is the sole reason a team gets the cup.

But I believe Crosby's poor leadership is what held his team back from even more success. His steam was (and still is) absurdly stacked yet failed to get the cup more than once.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Anyone who has coached or played the game will tell you the naming of a team captain has an effect on team chemistry and team chemistry can be the difference between winning and losing hockey games. Sorry to disappoint.

Myron Gaines*

Team chemistry only gets you so far, just like character, skill ect.

We had the team chemistry thing going on last year, didn't prevent us from losing in 5 in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad