Proposal: Name Subban next captain of the Canadiens

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
When Gionta's gone, Gorges will wear the C until he's no longer useful; when Tinordi's ready and it's time to say bye to Gorges, Tinordi'll wear the C...Subban'll probably get an A eventually, but Tinordi's got future captain written all over him...;)

Myron Gaines*

Prust thank you very much no to PK at this point and Paches is not captain material.

Prust is a leader in his own way, but I don't think he would be a wise choice. I don't want my captain getting into wars with other teams' coaches.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Prust is a leader in his own way, but I don't think he would be a wise choice. I don't want my captain getting into wars with other teams' coaches.

Yeah, it's much better to have your captain throwing pucks at other benches (Gorges) or jump on your franchise player's back every chance he has (Markov)...

Prust would likely be the best pick short-term.

Myron Gaines*

Yeah, it's much better to have your captain throwing pucks at other benches (Gorges) or jump on your franchise player's back every chance he has (Markov)...

Prust would likely be the best pick short-term.

Prust is a bum

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
Positives of him being captain is he could handle the pressure of the media and would be in the forefront of every interview to defend the team; if he has a great season again then he will be considered the face of the franchise and give relief to the added pressure of the position Carey holds as the face of the team.

Downside: he doesn't get the respect around the league as he should and he doesn't fit the normal attitude most other captains have (Toews, Sid, Giroux ect.) but I may be wrong about this

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont

THis to me is one reason I would want Prust as Captain. He steps up in all situations confrontation with officials opposition opposition coaches he leads by example that is what you want in a captain he picks guys up when **** goes bad he doesn't pile on like some on our team. He won't back down from guys and is a team first warrior.

For whoever said Turdnordi give your head a shake :shakehead

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I think choosing the right captain is something we cannot do. We don't know who will end up having the best rapport with teamates. There is stuff only guys in the locker room can see. I don't see Subban in that role right now. Like someone else said, he is polarizing right now. But he is still pretty green. In 3 or 4 years, he will be a bit older and things will be a lot different.

Last edited:

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Subban's is a lot more mature then he's given credit for.

Definitely. He is a young player and he seems no worse than a lot of young players to me. There are people who criticize him way too much. But I think part of that is a natural side effect of him being this young talented player who got a lot of hype. He has changed a lot, too, in just a couple years. At the same time, there are some who get offended at any criticism of the guy. It's not a legit reason to dislike Subban, but there is some natural human tendency to do so, simply because of that (sorta like Crosby). I think if he didn't play for the Habs he would be less of a story.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
He still has lots of growing up to do. There's more to being a leader than being the best player on a team. Maybe in time, but I just don't see it as of now.

samsquanch9*

Voted yes, hes a good choice. But i think the BEST choice is galchenyuk without a doubt.i think plek should get it after gio for 2 or 3 yrs thrn galchenyuk

AllanMTL46

Aug 19, 2011
Ste-Agathe, Lotb.
I agree that he's not there just yet but eventually will. Keep it to Gionta for next year, then probably one of Gio and Markov will come back for at least 2014-15, so the C to one of them and when both leave, then we can debate on who's our guy (Subban, Gorges, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pleks, Pacio, Prust, Eller....)

Halifaxhab*

Making PK the Captain would dull his game and personality. He is more the happy-go-lucky type who is a little like the jokester....one of the guys kinda thing.

The Captain is more than an on ice leader. He deals with the coaches, the media. He has to look after all those little things like mentoring the youth off ice, helping solve personality clashes and squables in the room.

PK is a secondary leader, someone whose voice will be added value to the captain's....but he needs to be kept clear of that burden to let him focus on his own game.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
To be a leader you need to be followed not anointed, PK is nowhere near being Capt. material. Someday maybe.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No to Subban. No to Gorges as well. I was hoping Pacioretty would step up, but his stock has been falling as well. We're in a weird spot in terms of candidates and players' ages. If I had to choose, I would name Plek the replacement, knowing that he would bring it every game and he's the right age for it. If we do move Gio, I would go with 3 A's again though.

Plek-A
Markov-A
Gorges/Prust-A

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
It s pretty telling when no one likes the current captain and there s no good candidate for the next one....

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
He's probably the last player on the team that should be named captain. He's shelfish and He's nowhere close to being a leader. Imagine Gorges, Gionta and Markov's face when They would learn that He's capitain.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised If He's not a Hab in a few years !

one more to add to the ignore list or maybe the entire thread.... Ottawa blows!!!!!

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
About captaincy, I know Subban's maturity is underrated and that he's getting more attention somehow (hum...), but you've got to look at the big picture.

The current "leaders" of the team just don't like him. Just listen to what Gionta said when he held out without a contract. To what Gorges said at L'Antichambre. Look how Markov ALWAYS tries to get on his case even when he's right (him chirping at Pacioretty for making him a suicide pass). He's a polarizing figure in the lockerroom, and until we clean this **** out and get to the new core, it's always going to be the case.

When Gorges, Markov and Gionta are gone, he's more likely to become the captain than he's now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad