Name a trend you like and dislike in the NHL

penguins2946*

Dislike:

-The fact that we're basically going to the DPE 2.0 due to obstruction and shot blocking
-Shootouts
-Inconsistent suspensions
-People acting like diving is some sort of new epidemic when it has existed for a long time

Like:

-Analytics being a huge part in hockey
-Hockey is growing all over the world

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Like: the fact Edmonton pisses so many fans off.

Dislike: the amount of interference that has completely taken over games. I see interference for and against my team that should be called. It makes me sad

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Like:
- New alignment
- Jersey rebrands (generally)
- AHL teams owned by NHL teams. I love the idea of prospects growing together in the same system.
- The direction goons are trending

Dislike:
- Losing franchises continually rewarded the first overall pick
- All the outdoor games
- The idea that Vegas should have a team
- Fights after clean hits
- The loser point

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Like:
- New alignment
- Jersey rebrands (generally)
- AHL teams owned by NHL teams. I love the idea of prospects growing together in the same system.
- The direction goons are trending

Dislike:
- Losing franchises continually rewarded the first overall pick
- All the outdoor games
- The idea that Vegas should have a team
- Fights after clean hits
- The loser point

So if losing franchises don't get the first overall pick....you think Chicago, LA, or Pittsburgh deserves a shot at it?

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
So if losing franchises don't get the first overall pick....you think Chicago, LA, or Pittsburgh deserves a shot at it?

Absolutely not. However, I don't believe a single team should get that pick three years in a row, take a year off and get it again so soon. I think the lottery should be tweaked.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Dislike:

-The fact that we're basically going to the DPE 2.0 due to obstruction and shot blocking
-Shootouts
-Inconsistent suspensions
-People acting like diving is some sort of new epidemic when it has existed for a long time

Like:

-Analytics being a huge part in hockey
-Hockey is growing all over the world

Dislikes:
People pretending like diving has always been this bad and accepting it as part of the game.

The NHL finally recognizing it as a growing problem and acting on it. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Like: the divisional playoff system

Dislike: wildcard. It confuses the system for some people and could ruin a potentially great series with crossovers. For example: Montreal wins division but is behind Pittsburgh who won their division. Bruins are the second wildcard and Caps are fist. Instead of a Montreal Boston first round we get a Montreal-Washington series

A Boston-Montreal series would me waaaay more epic as a conference final than a 1st rd series

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Like : Speed and Skill of the game now

Dislike : Fights after a big hit (clean or not)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Like: Greater acceptance of analytics and, almost by extension, a greater appreciation for 2-way players

Dislike: This garbage divisional playoff format. I'd like to meet the rocket-surgeon who decided forcing fans to watch the same damn playoff series year-in, year-out would make those same series more exciting. Instead, as a Hawks fan, I'm trying to decide what the best path through the central for the Hawks would be before meeting the Kings in the series I actually give a **** about.

May 23, 2012
Dislike the interviews on the bench, leave these guys alone.

Dislike the trend towards no fighting or breaking up fights too soon.

Dislike the trend of more and more "road fans" being visible at road games. If you want to root for the "bad guys" that's fine, but why dress in enemy colors in a barn where most of the fans aren't rooting for your team? Is there some "excitement" to antagonize?

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
Most has been already said, although I feel as though it is slowly becoming another dead puck era. Too congested, making more games boring for me. Not saying adopt International Ice size rinks, but I wouldn't mind something like the 2002 Olympics which was between International and NHL.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Like:
Potential of AHL moving West. Don't see why San Jose should be punished by having their affiliate about as far East as you can go, while Toronto gets to play "cap roulette" by moving players like ping pong balls back and forth between the Maple Leafs and Marlies.

New AHL overtime rules. Shootouts are gimmicks; 3v3 is not.

Ceding some calls to New York. On the "get it right" vs "get it now" spectrum, it's too far over to "get it now".

Dislike:

Everything about shootouts, including having to watch the little kiddies that do shootouts during NESN's broadcast. (For the record, I don't hate children; I like watching them play real hockey during the intermissions at the Garden.) This includes the overblown media coverage of all the shootout stories, like Oshie in Sochi and the recent 20 round record-breaking shootout. The NHL has only been doing them for 10 years, and the bottom lines sometimes have people who can't find the back of a net without a goalie; how is this surprising after it goes 7 or 8 rounds?

Ice girls. While I like watching the aforementioned mites on the ice when I go to Bruins games, I hate watching the Ice Girls skate next to them in bare midriffs as "referees". I'm at a hockey game, not a strip club; I'd have the same bemusement if I saw Patrice Bergeron shooting pucks on stage at the Boogie Bungalow Gentleman's Club between Tiffani's set and Candi's set.

Outside games. There is a reason Fenway Park is big. Baseball is big. There is a reason the Garden is smaller. Hockey is smaller. From what I heard from 2010, the views at the Winter Classic generally stunk. Plus, the uniforms stunk - I thought it was a third grader who designed it, but it was our own Cam. If we're switching venues, how about having Mike Napoli come into the Garden and hit some home runs? Or Tom Brady passing to Gronk on stage at the Boston Opera House?

Nothingman*

Like: New Icing, player safety focus, cleaning up the game with less goons and more skill up and down the lineup, less fighting, more speed

Dislike: So many eastern teams on NBCS when the West has better games on most nights. Bigger goalies

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00