Name a trend you like and dislike in the NHL

Bo Ho*

i really liked the GoPro cameras on refs (don't know what happened to them now). Dislike the shootout, it's ran its course and I'd rather see 4-on-4 then 3-on-3.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Crosby slumping is a trend I enjoy.

Red Wings not winning shootouts is a trend I don't enjoy.

HOLDITHERE*

I like:

The Oilers losing

The Bruins losing

The Shootout

I dislike:

The Oilers getting lottery picks every year

The Rangers winning

Deifying guys who have early breakout seasons, and making it seem like they've been the greatest player on Earth since they entered the league. Tarasenko and Voracek, I'm looking at you.

Not calling penalties evenly. Again, an astronomical amount of non-calls against the Caps tonight. Should be expected I suppose.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton

-Retro jerseys

-Penalizing and fining divers

HATE

-Shootouts

-Outdoor games

-NMC/NTC

-Expansion while teams flounder in poor markets

-New playoff seeding style (miss top 8 and matching up with any team in same conf from round 1 on)

Last edited:

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
Like:
Carolina/Arizona/NJ getting a good player out of the draft

Dislike:
Edmonton getting another top pick. I've got nothing against Edmonton, just tired of seeing them at the top of the lottery, give some other teams a chance. :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I dislike the trend of using analytics in place of actually watching games. I like the trend of using analytics to complement watching the games.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Like: Buffalo winning

Dislike: Daryl Katz's continued payments to Kevin Lowe

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
dislike mumps

seriously, start taking precautions,, this isn't the dark ages

GreatjonUmber

Mar 9, 2013
Elmore, VT
Do bigger offensive zones and trapezoids count as trends? I'd like the blue lines back where they were and no more trapezoids…

I'm enjoying the Bruins and Flyers losing though..

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Dislike: Every TV hockey program using the word swag. Specifically Glenn Healy.

Like: Shot attempts being used instead of just shots.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I dislike the trend of using analytics in place of actually watching games. I like the trend of using analytics to complement watching the games.

Good point. I don't think analytics translate as well in hockey as say baseball.

Like: New divisional playoff format. This is what makes rivalries, not playing your neighbor 8 times.

Dislike: Attempts to curb concussions resulting in inconsistent calls on checks, It's not soccer!

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Like:
Carolina hopefully getting McDavid or Eichel this year

Dislike:
Trapazoid - It sucks
OT - Too short, should be 10 min or 3 on 3
Goalies initiating contact in the crease (ala Carey Price) to get a penalty or goal waived off

BlackGoldGreen

Jul 7, 2006
California
Like- Shootouts

Dislike- Refs stopping fights & not calling nearly enough penalties when they are warranted, seriously it's getting ridiculous and the goal scoring dropoff/boring games are a direct result.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Trend I like: All original six teams seems to be decent as of late.

Not sure if that qualifies, but I'm also glad the statistics of hockey are evolving.

Trends I dislike: Parity of teams and parity at the top of the scoring race for players.I dislike the decline of fighting, and also the lack of respect players have for each other.

I think the game is too fast now, making it too dangerous.Speed isn't really what I'm looking for, I like the "slowing down" the game kind of neat plays, with hockey IQ playing the prominent role in domination , not athletic abilities.Oh well, the only solution I see for that is cutting down the bench for all teams, forcing every player to be a bit more tired and not giving their absolute 100% at every second of every single shift, giving room for more slow action and intelligence.Won't happen.

Basically I'm not a really happy fan nowadays, and I'm slowly losing interest in hockey though the interest was so strong to begin with that I doubt I'll ever completely lose interest in this great sport.But more and more my love for professional hockey is based on nostalgia.

I grew up in the Lemieux, then Jagr era, and started to see a decline in quality of the sport after 1996 when Lemieux and Jagr finished with 161 and 149 pts respectively.The game has never been the same ever since.We had the Jagr domination which was nice, but that's about it.Now it's even more ****ed as no player is able to consistantly beat the pack.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Dislike: Increasing tendency of players to dive and embellish.
Like: The league finally starting to take diving as a serious problem and calling out divers.

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Like: the divisional playoff system

Dislike: wildcard. It confuses the system for some people and could ruin a potentially great series with crossovers. For example: Montreal wins division but is behind Pittsburgh who won their division. Bruins are the second wildcard and Caps are fist. Instead of a Montreal Boston first round we get a Montreal-Washington series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad