Name a random Canuck

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
"Random" names that just bring my back to my childhood of watching/listening to Canucks games:

Scott Lachance
Drake Berehowsky
Harold Druken
Bob Essensa
Murray Baron
Bill Mackult
Darby Hendrickson

Reactions: Ginger Papa

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Alexander Semak

Sergei Nemchinov

Evgeny "John" Namestnikov

so many random buddies for bure and/or mogilny. also, anatoli semenov and roman oksiuta

No mentions for Josef Beranek?

the only player to successfully center bure and mogilny in the NHL...

Toronto Maple Leafs at Vancouver Canucks Box Score — November 3, 1995 | Hockey-Reference.com

Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames Box Score — November 4, 1995 | Hockey-Reference.com

Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders Box Score — November 7, 1995 | Hockey-Reference.com

Vancouver Canucks at Chicago Blackhawks Box Score — November 9, 1995 | Hockey-Reference.com

...for four glorious games in the fall of 1995 before bure's season ended

mogilny: 4 goals, 3 assists

bure: 2 goals, 4 assists

beranek: 1 goal, 3 assists

Reactions: MS and Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Glad you brought this to our Board @PG Canuck

I think in the future the idea of posting a Hockey Card with the name removed is a good one as well.

So many interesting players brought forward that bring back some cool memories. I'll add 2 players who were very influential to me:

Curt Ridley inspired me to collect hockey cards when one of my buddies shared this at school after he cracked open a pack:

upload_2020-1-28_15-41-4.jpeg

That mask!​

"King" Richard Brodeur inspired me to become a goalie during that great run in 1982 (After I was told I was too small to make Rep as a Forward). I was so pissed off when they released this card that year instead of a full geared, action shot:
upload_2020-1-28_15-43-22.jpeg

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Glad you brought this to our Board @PG Canuck

I think in the future the idea of posting a Hockey Card with the name removed is a good one as well.

So many interesting players brought forward that bring back some cool memories. I'll add 2 players who were very influential to me:

Curt Ridley inspired me to collect hockey cards when one of my buddies shared this at school after he cracked open a pack:

"King" Richard Brodeur inspired me to become a goalie during that great run in 1982 (After I was told I was too small to make Rep as a Forward). I was so pissed off when they released this card that year instead of a full geared, action shot:
Fair enough...

51x5295B-EL._SY400_.jpg

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Believe it or not I invented this same game with my Uncle and Cousin in 1988/89. I called it "Canuck".

We were sitting around my Gramma's table and my Uncle Frank Kirby (of the Kirby's Klippers Lacrosse teams) had this habit of calling everyone Moe (after his friend and business partner it turned out).

So one time he called me Moe and I called him back "Lemay". He liked that response and so did my cousin. We ended up talking some more and he called me Moe again. This time I called him "Mantha".

"Good one" he said. And we proceeded to start naming Canucks and former Canucks one at a time challenging each other and seeing what obscure Canucks we could come up with.

Someone I played this with suggested I phone it in to one of the radio shows in the 90's because they were always promoting their Sports or Canucks game those days but I never did.

My uncle and cousin would still play this whenever we got together. My cousin and I still do when we can.

Fun to see other people came up with it too - its probably a game that's been around forever

Note: We had discussions on who you could name drop, whether coaches or management counted or just players. But the game is so loose I think doing that becomes a nice twist.

Technically you win by being the last to remember a name but that's never the point. It ends up being a great way to talk about old timey Canucks.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
How about Manny Legace? Canucks briefly owned him after claiming him off waivers in the 90s, IIRC, before promptly losing him on waivers again. They then had him come to training camp on a tryout during Vigneault’s reign as coach.

View attachment 313397
I actually don't remember the training camp stint. Whoa. Remember Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk?

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
I haven’t looked at that hockey card for 30 years but I can tell you that the back of it tells you about a game where Schliebener scored with an assist from Gary Lupul and then Lupul scored with a assist from Schliebener.

Ha! I remember that on the card!

Neil Belland never got a card!

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
A few guys who had short-lived careers on the Canucks and were much better known for their play on other teams:

future Leafs captain Rick Vaive & his perennial linemate Bill Derlago
future Nordiques captain Mario Marois
former Gretzky winger BJ MacDonald
Czech superstar Ivan Hlinka
former Lunch Pail Bruin Peter McNab
former Bobby Smith/Steve Payne linemate Al MacAdam

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I haven’t looked at that hockey card for 30 years but I can tell you that the back of it tells you about a game where Schliebener scored with an assist from Gary Lupul and then Lupul scored with a assist from Schliebener.
1980s hockey cards were the best. Particularly when they focused on the player's marital status or a random bit of trivia like that.

We never could have imagined it in 1983, but the Internet is amazing so I have tracked down that game – a thrilling New Year's Eve tie that would portend the 2011 Finals:

gs9kPIq.png

And I have to say, I kind of get why they thought it was worthy of mention – the goals were 40 seconds apart.

sfonZ0r.png

Reactions: MS and Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad