Name a random Canuck

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Zenith Komarniski has to be an entry in the “all name” team. He hung around the organization for a while, actually.

Tom Fergus has a really nice half-season with the Canucks in the early 90s, and his line with Nedved and Sandlak was dynamite in the playoffs that season, too.

Found the video of Komarniski’s Center ice goal on Roy:

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
From the depths of goaltending obscurity, how about journeyman Sean Burke and Mika Noronen.

I actually grew up idolizing Burkie when other goalies were fixated on Roy, Belfour, and Hasek. He almost single-handedly carried those marginally playoff-worthy Coyotes teams in their post-Khabibulin era.

Reactions: The Stig

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
From the depths of goaltending obscurity, how about journeyman Sean Burke and Mika Noronen.

I actually grew up idolizing Burkie when other goalies were fixated on Roy, Belfour, and Hasek. He almost single-handedly carried those marginally playoff-worthy Coyotes teams in their post-Khabibulin era.

One of those buried in Vancouver's Goalie Graveyard. One time considered the best goaltender in the world.

The thing about that era, the WCE era, is we weren't playing defense so we needed a goalie that was willing to put up with a lot of quality shots against. We ended up giving up a lot of assets getting guys like these until we finally got the goalie we wanted, Dan Cloutier.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
One of those buried in Vancouver's Goalie Graveyard. One time considered the best goaltender in the world.

The thing about that era, the WCE era, is we weren't playing defense so we needed a goalie that was willing to put up with a lot of quality shots against. We ended up giving up a lot of assets getting guys like these until we finally got the goalie we wanted, Dan Cloutier.
Curious- do you think Clouts was a better goalie than his reputation suggests? I feel like a general lack of defense and a few stinkers (like Lidstrom’s dump in from center ice) unfairly cemented his legacy, but my bias might be getting in the way of reality.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Curious- do you think Clouts was a better goalie than his reputation suggests? I feel like a general lack of defense and a few stinkers (like Lidstrom’s dump in from center ice) unfairly cemented his legacy, but my bias might be getting in the way of reality.

He was even worse than his reputation suggests.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
random goalies who should have been handed the starting job for keeps, in order of how much the coach just needed to get his head out of his rear end:

m-p02sa31-43p-color-irbe.jpg

obdJLS92CVZftsX2fE6frAs30S4_s1Vp_00sZN_rCl8vZmKuXHix6SyTVKYNF3q45FW8SwdFk5osiZkwb7RvoInBQsD6mpz57BuM1qSrJXwV9xcT

a_forsberg_i.jpg

eddie-lack.jpg

(in the miller year)

goaltender-mika-noronen-of-the-vancouver-canucks-warms-up-prior-to-picture-id57100577

and what the hell why not noronen?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

Absolutely I do. His bad reputation only came at the end of his career, at the end of the WCE era and cemented when LA overpaid for him after injury when the media and fans needed a narrative on that fading Canucks team.

The bad goal he let in at Detroit was just fodder for Detroit fans and the media and unfortunate. But MacLean gave up several of those goals (two by Bourque alone) because he was asleep at the wheel as was his habit, but those never hurt his reputation.

I submit how Potvin, Burke, Weeks, et al. fared behind the team who's main goal was to get rears back in the seats after the loss of the '94 team and Bure, when you look at Cloutier's record.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I was searching this former first overall pick in 1975 and do not even remember him finishing his career in Vancouver, before earning an MBA from Wharton. He was a former NHL PA president and NHL GM.

1b0c9633f7056d0f49ae2f12187e3299.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad