Name a random Canuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I actually had no idea that he was the reason for Hartley's actions that day. It seems kind of petty.
It was merely the catalyst. There was bad blood between the two coaches going way back. If Brad Marchand was ever a coach - he'd be a Bob Hartley.

And instead of seizing on it our coach acted like a maniac and added a distraction that lasted for games afterwards.
He 'checked out' early in his stint here. I think he pretty much let his assistant do much of the 'grunt work'. The spat with Hartley was just his attempt to 'settle old scores'. He *DID* care about his players though. Heh, at least ones that weren't in his dog house.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Hah funny never heard of him. I just remember Torts getting kicked out and didn't know if he was being stupid or grandstanding. I knew he wasn't going to last after that.

But funny, CityToronto got a great interview with his parents.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Jesse Belanger; played 12 games with the Canucks after being acquired at the 1996 trade deadline, scored 3 goals. I played on his wing in a Habs Alumni game last year. Deadly passer. :laugh:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Kyle wellwood

The guy went over a whole season or something with not 1 penalty. Really nice guy irl doing some good things with concussions and mental health.

One of the last players to use a wood stick as well. Also was probably the best shootout guy we’ve ever had.

Reactions: Cucumber

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
One of the last players to use a wood stick as well. Also was probably the best shootout guy we’ve ever had.
Probably the most random guy to make it. Other then Faceoffs. No super big strengths no massive weaknesses either. Most average guy who liked to eat a burger or 2.

God bless Kyle Wellwood and his family. I miss him

Reactions: Hit the post and PM

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Kyle wellwood

The guy went over a whole season or something with not 1 penalty. Really nice guy irl doing some good things with concussions and mental health.
Guy I think had registered significantly more hits than our six million dollar man. Think about that. Kyle freaking Wellwood! Loui E should be ashamed cashing his paychecks.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Jesse Belanger; played 12 games with the Canucks after being acquired at the 1996 trade deadline, scored 3 goals. I played on his wing in a Habs Alumni game last year. Deadly passer. :laugh:
I quite liked him – put up decent numbers on an expansion team, and then got traded to the Canucks right as Florida was embarking on their miracle run.

It was the same trade deadline where Quinn picked up Markus Näslund, and I really liked that he was going after skill players, even though the team wasn’t expected to do anything that year as a sub.-500 playoff team.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Guy I think had registered significantly more hits than our six million dollar man. Think about that. Kyle freaking Wellwood! Loui E should be ashamed cashing his paychecks.

“A man possessed.”

My favourite Wellwood memory is when he went coast to coast, deked out an entire team, and made a really nice move to score a goal...only for it to be like 0.2 seconds after the buzzer for the end of the period :laugh:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
“A man possessed.”

My favourite Wellwood memory is when he went coast to coast, deked out an entire team, and made a really nice move to score a goal...only for it to be like 0.2 seconds after the buzzer for the end of the period :laugh:

I've tried finding the highlight of that for so many years. It really was an incredible display of skill, too bad the clock had run out.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Wait, @Mr. Canucklehead , are... are you a Habs' alumnus? :laugh:

LOL, no.

I organized a Canucks Alumni game in Kitimat a few years back. A team of local minor hockey coaches (myself included) played against them. I got a great photo of me taking the ceremonial face off with Cliff Ronning and Jyrki Lumme. I dangled Ronning once in the game (moment of pride), but he torched me - and everyone else - about 300 times LOL.

The following year, we were able to organize a Habs Alumni game here in town. This time, I got tapped as one of a few community members to actually play on the Alumni team. Scored the easiest goals of my life that game, both of set ups from Belanger. Some easy assists, too. Got to keep a brand new Habs jersey with my name and number on it at the end of the day. In addition to Belanger, they brought guys like Nilan, Brisebois, Sevigny, Lemieux, Petrov and DeBlois, and we were coached by Steve Shutt. Pretty wild.

Best part was both games were hugely successful fundraisers. Canucks game we raised over $20,000, Habs game raised over $60,000, all for community non profits.

Reactions: F A N and Jyrki21

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
LOL, no.

I organized a Canucks Alumni game in Kitimat a few years back. A team of local minor hockey coaches (myself included) played against them. I got a great photo of me taking the ceremonial face off with Cliff Ronning and Jyrki Lumme. I dangled Ronning once in the game (moment of pride), but he torched me - and everyone else - about 300 times LOL.

The following year, we were able to organize a Habs Alumni game here in town. This time, I got tapped as one of a few community members to actually play on the Alumni team. Scored the easiest goals of my life that game, both of set ups from Belanger. Some easy assists, too. Got to keep a brand new Habs jersey with my name and number on it at the end of the day. In addition to Belanger, they brought guys like Nilan, Brisebois, Sevigny, Lemieux, Petrov and DeBlois, and we were coached by Steve Shutt. Pretty wild.

Best part was both games were hugely successful fundraisers. Canucks game we raised over $20,000, Habs game raised over $60,000, all for community non profits.

For a moment there I thought you were Mark Fitzpatrick. Hence, I deleted my post.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Probably the most random guy to make it. Other then Faceoffs. No super big strengths no massive weaknesses either. Most average guy who liked to eat a burger or 2.

God bless Kyle Wellwood and his family. I miss him

Kyle Wellwood? Wellwood was very skilled and a very good playmaker. He lacked size and speed but turned himself into a Nick Bonino type 3rd line C.

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I was and still am a fan of a good ol' donnybrook... but the Flyers era was past and gooning your way to a Stanley Cup wasn't a viable strategy anymore. Sure, toughness was still at a premium, but I'd argue that the Canucks were plenty tough without Williams. Delorme and Snepsts could tangle with anybody... and Smyl and Fraser were no shrinking violets either. Vaive could chuck 'em too, for that matter.
Times being what they were, tough guys didn't really deter other teams from targeting our Swedes, but it was Delorme who stepped up in the playoffs, beating down Mulvey for targeting Lindgren.
Good post but I have to disagree about Rick Vaive's fighting prowess. Although he racked up a lot of penalties and sometimes was forced to drop the gloves, I don't know if he ever threw a punch.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
For a moment there I thought you were Mark Fitzpatrick. Hence, I deleted my post.

Heh, no - I played with his brother for a few years here in the local men’s league, though. Solid defenseman. Mark, Rod Pelley and Bill
Riley have plaques in the arena commemorating their playing days as they all lived in/were from Kitimat and made it to the NHL.

On the topic of former Canucks - Mark Fitzpatrick had a tryout with the Canucks back in the early 2000s as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad