Player Discussion Nail Yakupov Talk II - Say something, I'm giving up on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So where does Yakupov say, "I try my best" and "not just one guy" there?

Yeah, we need Yakupov to be more like Pouliot. A 29 year old veteran who has played like a lazy bonehead this entire season, but thanks for those points where you and your linemate did all the work, Connor! There's a reason he's bounced around on so many teams in his career, and the Oilers wont be his last. Laughable to compare the two.

The majority of Yak's body of work has come with playing with players who are either barely NHLers, or no longer NHLers.

Serious question...is there any part of your Yak narrative that shifts the responsibility to the player?

Are the coaches responsible for Yaks lack of effort on the back check? Are the coaches responsible for his inability to effectively think the game without the puck?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If I could say anything to Yak that would help, it would be something like, "stop handling the puck so much.You get yourself into trouble by overhandling it. Get to others and go to shooting areas. If your biggest trait is shooting the puck, then do it. Every chance you get. If the other guys can't get you the biscuit, that's on them, not you."

And then let the chips fall where they may.

I like this. I've been hard on Yak like many of you, but there's still potential for him to play a simple game as a trigger man.

His release is very good and if he got in prime scoring spots with McDavid feeding him there's a chance we could salvage something out of him. Maybe it's wishful thinking though.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I like this. I've been hard on Yak like many of you, but there's still potential for him to play a simple game as a trigger man.

His release is very good and if he got in prime scoring spots with McDavid feeding him there's a chance we could salvage something out of him. Maybe it's wishful thinking though.
if he wants to do that then he needs to spend every day working on his accuracy as he has a God awful shooting percentage the last 2 years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
if he wants to do that then he needs to spend every day working on his accuracy as he has a God awful shooting percentage the last 2 years.

For sure, but how often does he pull up and shoot from the outside? Classic Yak, carry the puck into the offensive zone pull up and shoot with his head down between 1 or 2 defenders. Just as likely to hit the glass as it is the net.

I'm talking trigger man in prime scoring positions, McDavid certainly has the ability and vision to find him in the open.

But yeah, his accuracy 100% needs improvement.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010

Yeah, we need Yakupov to be more like Pouliot. A 29 year old veteran who has played like a lazy bonehead this entire season, but thanks for those points where you and your linemate did all the work, Connor! There's a reason he's bounced around on so many teams in his career, and the Oilers wont be his last. Laughable to compare the two.

The majority of Yak's body of work has come with playing with players who are either barely NHLers, or no longer NHLers.

The problem is he doesn't say "I need to make a better play there and get the puck out. I can't turn it over like that". He should own it, like Pouliot did.
It's definitely laughable to compare the two. Pouliot is a much, much more effective player.
It's also strange you criticize Pouliot as a passenger and proceed to use Yak's line mates as an excuse for his lack of results.
But hey, to each their own.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The problem is he doesn't say "I need to make a better play there and get the puck out. I can't turn it over like that". He should own it, like Pouliot did.
It's definitely laughable to compare the two. Pouliot is a much, much more effective player.
It's also strange you criticize Pouliot as a passenger and proceed to use Yak's line mates as an excuse for his lack of results.
But hey, to each their own.
Pouliot was scoring a lot more than Yak was with McDavid.. When they were both playing with him. Since Pouliot has been an Oiler he has out scored Yakupov. Maybe because he plays more. But outside of some bad penalties and some lazy days he is still a much better overall player than Yak

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Pouliot was scoring a lot more than Yak was with McDavid.. When they were both playing with him. Since Pouliot has been an Oiler he has out scored Yakupov. Maybe because he plays more. But outside of some bad penalties and some lazy days he is still a much better overall player than Yak

Totally agree.
He plays with some edge, brings some size and skill.
No issue with Pouliot.
I'm not sure what Yakupov adds anymore. Love to see him turn it around here but I'm not optimistic.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Talk about hyperbole... the comparison was made with the responses of the two players to poor play and decision making. I get it, I do... as a reformed former Yak supporter, there are certainly reasons to cheer for the guy. McLellan benched him and Pouliot. Yak is still slated on the 4th line as of tonight. So your mentality is to continually to hold this kid's hand? Pat him on the back and encourage that willful ignorance, when you bench Hall or Pouliot, far more productive and effective players at this point?

Everyone in that lineup needs to hold themselves accountable.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The kid can do good stuff when he is playing with a little swagger. Just needs to do it more often. He gets down in the dumps so easily.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
The kid can do good stuff when he is playing with a little swagger. Just needs to do it more often. He gets down in the dumps so easily.

This, I've been very hard on him in the past but if he brought this type of play all the time he would be on the first line with Hall and Drai, the problem is that this only occurs once every 15 games. I don't think there is a single oiler fan that truly doesn't want him to succeed here, the problem is his head is all over the place.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Great game so far by Yak... I really think the Oilers are playing well other than a few mis-timed missed checks and some help from the refs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I mean really, theres high expectations in order playing a dozen minutes a night and all with the immutable and legendary Toby Letestu.

What? Only one goal tonight Yak? :sarcasm:

Yeah he needs Connor McDavid to tell him to crash the net.

One good game out of the past month doesn't excuse the rest. He can be good, now he needs to show it every game, not just some of them.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah, I mean really, theres high expectations in order playing a dozen minutes a night and all with the immutable and legendary Toby Letestu.

What? Only one goal tonight Yak? :sarcasm:
Oh look, Yakupov was able to play a great game while playing on the third line and drive his line? I thought that was impossible
:sarcasm:

Look what happens when Yak uses his brain and tries hard at the same time!

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Oh look, Yakupov was able to play a great game while playing on the third line and drive his line? I thought that was impossible
:sarcasm:

Look what happens when Yak uses his brain and tries hard at the same time!

If he used his brain he'd tell his agent to get him out of this ****show.

Toby effing Letestu. All the ****ing time. :laugh:

Better call up some beer leaguers for Nail to toil with.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Fantastic game from him tonight.

Definitely earned a promotion to the top 6 tonight IMO. Drop Purcell down, or find a way to get him with Mcdavid, and see if he can build off tonight.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Yeah he needs Connor McDavid to tell him to crash the net.

One good game out of the past month doesn't excuse the rest. He can be good, now he needs to show it every game, not just some of them.

Yeah, bring it Yak. Get rewarded with more 10mins of toi games pair bonded with Toby Letestu. Fun times.

Yak loves it here. Yes he do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland