Player Discussion Nail Yakupov Talk II - Say something, I'm giving up on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I don't know if anyone heard it, but I wasn't enthused with his post-game reply; a media wag asked him directly about that goal against he was responsible for, and I kept hearing a lack of accountability. He kept saying 'I try my best, that's all' and 'not just one guy' ... as a guy who was cheering alot for Yakupov to make it, I am rather quickly losing any faith this kid will realize his play and general awareness on the ice has to be far, far better.

It is time to move on from the Yakupov experiment. Certainly, a sizeable share rests on the stupid choices made by previous coaching staff on how they utilized him, but at what point does the player take it upon himself to stop looking around, and be cognizant of the need to step up?

Those replies were for different questions. He owned up to the bad play he made. What do you expect him to do? Hang his head in shame all week for a mistake in a previous game when there's another game to focus on? Win or lose, Yak has always talked about the team.

Sheesh...some people...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Nail has played enough games and is old enough for a winger at the NHL level, that what you see is what you are most likely to get for the rest of his career.

There is little learning curve for wingers as opposed to Centers, Defensemen, or Goalies.

He has primarily played against the worst of every NHL team has to offer and still can not rise above even that.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure he will improve a bit, just no where near enough to ever be more than filler for any NHL team.

No one has faith in him, especially himself, and it shows. He is not and will most likely never be an impact player at the NHL level.

His trade value is effectively nothing. He is a pot sweetener as part of a bigger package at best. Or a low second/third rounder at best.

Keeping him on the team is detrimental to the team winning. So unless we are tanking I hope he gets sent to the minors. If he gets taken on waivers, which he probably would, its whats best for him and the team. If he doesn't get picked up he can work on his game in the minors where he belongs.

He is a #1 overall massive bust and is even money at best to carve out a respectable NHL career.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Those replies were for different questions. He owned up to the bad play he made. What do you expect him to do? Hang his head in shame all week for a mistake in a previous game when there's another game to focus on? Win or lose, Yak has always talked about the team.

Sheesh...some people...

No, they weren't for different questions... go listen again. Christ, he's had enough time to figure it out. How about not making that turnover, and then subsequently following up that by dogging it on his check and resulting in the goal?

Christ, some Yak supporters... (and I *was* one of them, but the kid still has huge holes in his game).

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
I disagree he dogs it back to the net on the back check.
Also check out Ferraro on Subban today, basically saying the same thing as Yak. He tried to make a play, it didn't work out. Ferraro is okay with it. Sometimes things just don't work out.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I really hope they can get Yakupov back on track he tries all the time, sure he messes up but at least he looks like he's putting in an effort.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
No, they weren't for different questions... go listen again. Christ, he's had enough time to figure it out. How about not making that turnover, and then subsequently following up that by dogging it on his check and resulting in the goal?

Christ, some Yak supporters... (and I *was* one of them, but the kid still has huge holes in his game).

Rishaug: You know, sometimes mistakes happen in games, Nail, and Todd was sort of vocal about the one last night you made on the wall there...what did you think of the play? A bit of a tough one?

Yakupov: uh yeah, you know it happened, you know I made pretty much the same thing [and] it went through...uh you know, it was really frustrating, but it was good [that] we scored back, but mistakes gonna happen...bad luck, you know...I just try to make some plays [or] something and not just chip it off the boards, but whatever.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Also check out Ferraro on Subban today, basically saying the same thing as Yak. He tried to make a play, it didn't work out. Ferraro is okay with it. Sometimes things just don't work out.

Come on now... it's pretty clear, on the replay, he didn't work enough to get back on his guy. And this is after he coughed it up on the play he tried to make. Subsequent to that, his body language also indicated that he knew he effed up on it. On top of that... he was benched for almost the entire 3rd period. McLellan said earlier, maybe about a month back, that they need to stop making those huge, glaring mistakes that end up killing them.

Who cares if Ferraro is ok with it or not? He isn't coaching them. McLellan is, and he was obviously ticked off enough that he made a point of sitting Yak down, like he did with Hall. I have no problem with it. These guys are going to continue to languish in terminal hell, and us with them, until they learn how to play the game properly. You hold them all accountable, whether it's Hall or Korpikoski.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yes but Subban would acknowledge that he ****ed up, admit it and work hard to make up for it.

Yak ****s up says "i try hard it's team game" and shrugs.

Look at Pouliot he straight up knows why he got pushed down the lineup, knows he cost his team points and takes responsibility. That's why i have all the time in the world for him.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Yes but Subban would acknowledge that he ****ed up, admit it and work hard to make up for it.

Look at Pouliot he straight up knows why he got pushed down the lineup, knows he cost his team points and takes responsibility. That's why i have all the time in the world for him.

As one of the bigger Yak supporters I agree 100% I really really want him to turn it around. I really hope we can either add someone to the team like Roy who can help get Yak back on track or that managment can actually get through to him.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Subban didn't make a good play but it was only really bad because he accidentally fell over.

Yak made a poor decision leading to a turnover in his own zone and then lazily lost his check going to the net.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Rishaug: You know, sometimes mistakes happen in games, Nail, and Todd was sort of vocal about the one last night you made on the wall there...what did you think of the play? A bit of a tough one?

Yakupov: uh yeah, you know it happened, you know I made pretty much the same thing [and] it went through...uh you know, it was really frustrating, but it was good [that] we scored back, but mistakes gonna happen...bad luck, you know...I just try to make some plays [or] something and not just chip it off the boards, but whatever.

To me it doesn't sound like he's taking all that much accountability. Listen to Pouliot's responses after the game and note the difference. Have that understanding that your play, your decision making, was not good, and you need to improve. I just don't get it anymore with Yakupov. He stickhandles like a madman when he doesn't really need to, he skates around quickly but doesn't appear to be getting much done, and plays continually die with him whether it's in the o zone or off his stick in the d zone. Like I said, I was a pretty staunch supporter of his but at what point do you need to look at the entire body of work and realize he is spinning his wheels here?

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
While I agree with your post in general...I have to ask what is Yakupov better at than Purcell? Seriously...what element of Yakupovs game translates better than Purcells?

On paper, his salary.. :sarcasm:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

As usual it sounds like people are making a big deal out of nothing. Standard response to that incident.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
To me it doesn't sound like he's taking all that much accountability. Listen to Pouliot's responses after the game and note the difference. Have that understanding that your play, your decision making, was not good, and you need to improve. I just don't get it anymore with Yakupov. He stickhandles like a madman when he doesn't really need to, he skates around quickly but doesn't appear to be getting much done, and plays continually die with him whether it's in the o zone or off his stick in the d zone. Like I said, I was a pretty staunch supporter of his but at what point do you need to look at the entire body of work and realize he is spinning his wheels here?

I agree. One thing that has been consistent with Yakupov is that he will continue to play his game and and work hard... as opposed to recognizing the specific faults he has and saying he needs to improve.

I have never heard Yak say he needs to improve on a specific aspect of his game - he just has to "keep doing what he's doing"... which is wrong... because what he's doing isn't working.

I think the comparison to Pouliot's response is perfect... I don't think Yak has accepted that he needs to adapt his game to be successful.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You do realize that up until only a few months ago Purcell really wasn't all that special either. If he at 29 or 30 can learn some new things is it that far fetched to think Yak couldn't get to the same level fairly quickly if he had proper guidance?

Proper guidance?

Are you suggesting that McLellan and the coaching staff haven't provided this yet?

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Proper guidance?

Are you suggesting that McLellan and the coaching staff haven't provided this yet?

I think the problem is Yak and some other people unrelated to the coaching staff are pushing him to play one way and the coaching staff the other so he's stuck in this limbo.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Did anyone else hear the start of Oilers Now today when Bob fielded a question about Yak?

Someone texted in a question to the effect of "you guys are around the team a lot, why don't you think Yak has been able to find his way?"

Stauffer and Rwid Wilkins agreed that Yakupov has difficulty recognizing the specific parts of his game that are giving him problems, and that he doesn't work hard enough in practice on the aspects of his game that he badly needs to improve to get his game going.

To me this doesn't sound like a guy that has much potential to turn any part of his game around.

He's got a great personality, and he may work hard, but I don't think he works smart. He clearly has very limited hockey IQ on the ice, and apparently he has low IQ when it comes to recognizing his issues when he takes a step back as well.

He's a guy that is going to have to reinvent himself to be useful in this league, and I don't think he has the hockey smarts to recognize what he needs to do and then actually follow through on it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Did anyone else hear the start of Oilers Now today when Bob fielded a question about Yak?

Someone texted in a question to the effect of "you guys are around the team a lot, why don't you think Yak has been able to find his way?"

Stauffer and Rwid Wilkins agreed that Yakupov has difficulty recognizing the specific parts of his game that are giving him problems, and that he doesn't work hard enough in practice on the aspects of his game that he badly needs to improve to get his game going.

To me this doesn't sound like a guy that has much potential to turn any part of his game around.

He's got a great personality, and he may work hard, but I don't think he works smart. He clearly has very limited hockey IQ on the ice, and apparently he has low IQ when it comes to recognizing his issues when he takes a step back as well.

He's a guy that is going to have to reinvent himself to be useful in this league, and I don't think he has the hockey smarts to recognize what he needs to do and then actually follow through on it.

Yeah, I heard that bit too.

Bob made a comment along the lines of "Yak loves to practice his one-timer, but not so much the things he needs to improve on."

To me that says the player has one idea about the kind of NHL player he wants to be, but the team has a different idea on the type of NHL player he NEEDS to be...kinda like how the team would try to tell Cogliano that his future in the NHL lay as a 3rd line checker, but at the time Cogs still had thoughts of himself as a top 2 line center, and who can really blame him as it must've been a blow to the ego for a guy who was a 1st round pick and a 1st line C at the WJHC for Canada (though admittedly any team that had Steve Downie as his linemate on the 1st line wasn't a strong contingent to begin with).

Of course Cogs then goes to Anaheim and proves the Oilers right about the kind of player he'd ultimately settle at.

It's really coming to "2nd opinion time" for Yak, I think.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah, I heard that bit too.

Bob made a comment along the lines of "Yak loves to practice his one-timer, but not so much the things he needs to improve on."

To me that says the player has one idea about the kind of NHL player he wants to be, but the team has a different idea on the type of NHL player he NEEDS to be...kinda like how the team would try to tell Cogliano that his future in the NHL lay as a 3rd line checker, but at the time Cogs still had thoughts of himself as a top 2 line center, and who can really blame him as it must've been a blow to the ego for a guy who was a 1st round pick and a 1st line C at the WJHC for Canada (though admittedly any team that had Steve Downie as his linemate on the 1st line wasn't a strong contingent to begin with).

Of course Cogs then goes to Anaheim and proves the Oilers right about the kind of player he'd ultimately settle at.

It's really coming to "2nd opinion time" for Yak, I think.

Thing is Cogliano always had the skillset that was translateable to a 3rd line role. Always had the foot speed, always had decent hockey smarts, was always decent defensively. He just had to buy in to the fact that a 3rd line checker was going to be his role.

I just don't see what skill Yakupov can provide that would render him anything but a scorer. If he can't do that, he's useless.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
A big part of the problem is the chaos in his thinking -- where he goes, where he puts the puck for linemates, which check he takes on back pressure, how he provides puck support.. he will be ok, even good for a few games, and then whatever proper structure he implements in his play absolutely disintegrates. It's absolutely mystifying, and really frustrating to watch. I still get the sense there is resistance in committing to the learning process, examining and refining his game, as slaman said. It's almost like a stubborn defiance? If this were Eakins, it would be understandable. But even when McLellan talks about Yak, he is pretty even handed and fair -- the message is not getting obscured by the tone and delivery, not with this coach. So I just don't understand the player's mentality.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

So where does Yakupov say, "I try my best" and "not just one guy" there?

Yeah, we need Yakupov to be more like Pouliot. A 29 year old veteran who has played like a lazy bonehead this entire season, but thanks for those points where you and your linemate did all the work, Connor! There's a reason he's bounced around on so many teams in his career, and the Oilers wont be his last. Laughable to compare the two.

The majority of Yak's body of work has come with playing with players who are either barely NHLers, or no longer NHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad