Nail Yakupov (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yakupov has more value than some people in this thread think. He does not have a 1st overall value but he has value.

Recent history suggests that any player teams pick up from the oilers are far better than thought because of our horrendous coaching, management organization.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lets all just step back and try to keep in mind that...

A. He's 21 years old
B. Has only played 2.5 seasons on the worst team in the NHL the last 3 seasons
C. Has never really had a good veteran center to play with
D. Forget the fact that he's a first overall pick. It was a terrible draft and the faster we
stop expecting him to be stamkos lite the better it will be for all involved.
E. The Sedins didn't start producing till they were in their mid 20's.

Yes, all reasons why he is still with the team and not already gone. True enough. There are reasons to hope for the best still.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
No. If he busts, he busts. But you need to give him more than a game at a time between major complaints about the same things, even when a loss had nothing to do with him.

Next season, if he hasn't turned a corner, I have absolutely no issue trading him. I'm also a lot more clinical about management- you need to know more about a player before you trade him. He's in a transition right now. New coach, new linemates (though, he could sure use Pouliot back, and not being forced to play left wing). He'll either succeed or he won't, and that's when you make a decision on a guy.

Next year's trade deadline or at the end of next season, if Yak hasn't succeeded in producing- he should be traded. I don't have the emotional attachment with him a lot of you assume everyone defending him has. You just aren't thinking clearly about asset management. He needs all season before you judge whether the coaching and line changes have helped.

When a guy with zero confidence is struggling heavily with his game, and his potential is high, you MUST pay attention to the little things he does right and wrong, and why he's making those decisions/plays. A turnover that results in a goal doesn't necessarily mean a guy is playing poorly. Making mistakes are how you learn. If he goes out and skates the puck in front of his net again a couple times, whether it's turned over or not, you know he's not getting it. If he makes a completely different error...you can't group all errors together.

Sometimes a play that doesn't get turned over is worse than one who does.

And it pisses me off when a lot of you sit here and ***** about the kid for things that weren't his fault, or weren't that big of a deal, or not even giving him time to improve before slamming him again.

Those of us watching objectively, who aren't clouded by where he was drafted, are seeing two steps forward, one step back. That's not ideal, but it's not worth crucifying a guy. He's been snake-bitten, which makes the sheep far more vocal about not liking him, but if he was playing terribly and scoring a goal every other game due to lucky bounces or expert play by others, most of you wouldn't be posting here. And that is why I can't take most of the *****ing seriously.

I am sure Nelson is doing that now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Predictable.
Yak has a solid game, all kinds of jam, is one of the better Oiler forwards in a game, gets an assist off a beauty feed, works several good possessions, is a handful to play against a good club and not a peep in this thread.

Its like I said that some posters will only comment on the player to scapegoat him.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Like I said I've seen more flashes of brilliance from under Nelson than 1.5 seasons under Eakins.

Yak isn't consistent yet but he's showing effort. I've paid attention to all of the times he receives a minue in the +/- column and I gotta say he has some incredibly bad luck that makes that stat look worse than it is.

Last game against Calgary through no fault of his own Roy turns it over twice and Oilers get scored on yet hes a -2. Yak was actually the first forward back trying to catch-up but Roy turned it over in such a bad spot that not even Todd Marchant in his prime could've caught the Flames player.

I even saw Yak attempting a shot block on his knees and everything. I can't say how proud I am of knowledgeable Oiler fans that appreciate effort and aren't dumping on him quite yet because he is a Russian and Russians are stereotyped a certain way. Its easy you show a good attitude and work hard and Oilers fans will be behind you for the most part.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Predictable.
Yak has a solid game, all kinds of jam, is one of the better Oiler forwards in a game, gets an assist off a beauty feed, works several good possessions, is a handful to play against a good club and not a peep in this thread.

Its like I said that some posters will only comment on the player to scapegoat him.

I'd been wondering if I'd have to defend him after playing well, because he only had an assist rather than a goal.

For me, as much as I tell detractors to be more patient, I also don't feel the need to sing his praise too loud after each good game.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'd been wondering if I'd have to defend him after playing well, because he only had an assist rather than a goal.

For me, as much as I tell detractors to be more patient, I also don't feel the need to sing his praise too loud after each good game.

Its reactionary on my part. Especially as most of the posts slamming Yak after the last game (for whatever reason) were specifically pointing out wheres all the Yak supporters? Those posters having said that are ironically missing in action now.

Its fine to say stuff like that but man up and acknowledge when the player has had a good game.

I like as well how Roy and Remenda singled out the very good play. Among many that Yak made last night. Good on Nelson as well to acknowledge Yaks solid play and reward it.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Agreed, and I'd probably have reacted stronger than usual if someone had said something negative today in this thread.

But like I tell them, I'm still being patient, because he needs the entire rest of the season to truly figure it out.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Should we comment on each player discussion thread when they have a solid game?

There is only a couple player discussion threads up right now on front page. . Which is conveniently used in case of game end results like Calgary, to critique Yak specifically, when Yak had no significant involvement with that result.

Agree or disagree on the player the 25 posts occurring after the Calgary game were just to blame it on Yak. For whatever reason.

NOBODY. Had posted in this thread after the strong game last night, just saying. Critics were posting **** about Yak minutes after the Calgary game, just saying.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yakupov has been great since they paired him with Roy. Yes his point totals are brutal but they will come as the last of the Eakins stench is erased from him.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Predictable.

No chance. He had a great game. I pray he proves me wrong and becomes a 30 goal guy.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Predictable.

What's predictable is you coming in here to gloat over a freaking assist by Yakupov. Look, I don't think anyone wants the kid the kid to be a bust, or turn out to be a 30 point player. The fact of the matter is that he has not been good. Will he turn out to be a point producing winger at the NHL level? I sure as hell hope so, but nothing is giving any indication that he is more then what he has shown the last couple years.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Predictable.

He looked good and had a good game. He out-performed Hertl. When he does that about 100 more times he will have proven he is a top line forward. Under Nelson that possibility is more believable now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What's predictable is you coming in here to gloat over a freaking assist by Yakupov. Look, I don't think anyone wants the kid the kid to be a bust, or turn out to be a 30 point player. The fact of the matter is that he has not been good. Will he turn out to be a point producing winger at the NHL level? I sure as hell hope so, but nothing is giving any indication that he is more then what he has shown the last couple years.

Indeed.

This couldn't be more obvious.
No one wants to see Yak fail but lets be somewhat realistic about his perceived progress.

Oct 30, 2011
Yakupov has been great since they paired him with Roy. Yes his point totals are brutal but they will come as the last of the Eakins stench is erased from him.

I think Roy has been the revelation. He and Yakupov actually have some chemistry, and there seems to be a lot of communication(bench and ice) between the two. If you pair that with the increased icetime Yak is getting on the second line, it makes perfect sense that he's starting to produce a better clip. As Yak's confidence grows, we have to hope that he becomes a legit scoring threat on the PP and earns himself a spot on the first unit.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
The guy need to practice hitting the net with shots from the point for 3 hours a day until he can start hitting the net in games.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Toronto strikes me as a team that Yak could get some momentum going against. Here's hoping!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Lol. This is such an HF thing to say.

YES. A resounding yes. If we're gunna ***** and moan after ever tiny mistake, then we should congratulate and acknowledge good plays and game efforts.

Hmmm... not if you are a "realist". On places other than HF, professionals would call that "selective abstraction" and probably prescribe you some cognitive behavioral therapy or Prozac. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I digress... and I should stop before I sound too apologetic.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Hmmm... not if you are a "realist". On places other than HF, professionals would call that "selective abstraction" and probably prescribe you some cognitive behavioral therapy or Prozac. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I digress... and I should stop before I sound too apologetic.

The point is, more time should elapse between sweeping comments of his play.

It's no less stupid to complain after every bad shift, than it is to cheer after every good one.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Did yak have a good game in the loss to the leafs or a bad game?

the whole team played awful. Although Healy had to get his jabs in at yak for no reason. Yak did draw 1-2 penalties, I believe. Overall, it was a bad game by the entire team. Especially when our captain started calling out others for floating and gliding, when he was a prime example of it. :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Like many people I was a guy who wanted Murray

he missed most of the 12/13 due injury
he missed 18 games in 13/14
and now he is out 4 to 6 months

while we ***** and complain about Yakupov--Murray was the guy 80% of this board wanted and 15% wanted Yakupov and the rest wanted Griffen Reinhart --anyone who says they wanted Reiley or Alex Galchenyuk you need to post the thread and unedited post to back up that statement. If you say "well I told a buddy" I will take off my fancy leather glove, slap you across the face and call ******** on unsubstantiated statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad